The Student Room Group

I got my HCA job now what?

Well I got the job and have a start date.
My question is, is there anything I can do to prepare myself for the new challenges I will encounter . Were there any situations that took you by surprise or gave you great satisfaction and what was the induction and training like.
And are the nurses really as bad as have been banded around or is it oversensitivity ?
As I have only ever seen dedicated hard working staff. And like all work places you have good and bad people . Sorry a lot of questions ������
(edited 9 years ago)
All the nurses I've ever worked with have been lovely. One was a bit brusque but that was just her manner and she didn't mean anything by it. They're people like you'd find in any other workplace - some you'll get on with, some you won't. I wouldn't set too much store by horror stories on the Internet. Lots of people like to complain about a bad workplace online, as a vent, but far fewer people are going to log on and announce how much they love their job - they don't have the same motivation to do so!

My induction and training involved basic First Aid (CPR, what to do if someone goes into anaphylactic shock, etc.) and an explanation of the ward policies and procedures (this was a mental health unit so they described what to do if a patient is hurting themselves, how to respond if someone discloses abuse, etc.). The details of your training will depend on what sort of ward it is but you won't be expected to learn everything at once - you will pick up a lot as you go. I know most HCAs on our ward were taught how to take a blood pressure reading after working there for a while, for example, but this wasn't included as part of the induction.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply,and totally agree with what you say about nurses. They do get a bit of bad press. I have a two week induction then 12 weeks training. This has been my dream to start off my heath care caree and I plan to progress. I've worked in an office for 10years and have always wanted to do this job but stayed in my current job for financial reasons. Now I'm doing this because its that time in my life that I choose to do a job rather than have to do a Job. This I hope helps me totally focus all my energy into care of the patients and learn as much as I can. Also support the nurses in their roles.
(edited 9 years ago)
How do you like your job as a HA? I've been looking into working as a HA next year as a gap year job before applying for Occupational Therapy at uni. I wasn't sure if unis would accept this as a reasonable job/experience or if I was emotionally and mentally ready for the job (I am only 17) Do you think that working as a HA would be an acceptable job for a young person? Sorry for all the questions!
Reply 4
Original post by ksmith_9889
How do you like your job as a HA? I've been looking into working as a HA next year as a gap year job before applying for Occupational Therapy at uni. I wasn't sure if unis would accept this as a reasonable job/experience or if I was emotionally and mentally ready for the job (I am only 17) Do you think that working as a HA would be an acceptable job for a young person? Sorry for all the questions!

Hi ksmith,
Yes working in any heath care setting most certainly helps with applications but its not essential but for me I think it opens doors for you..
As for enjoying my job.. I really do I work on neurology and it can be quite heavy physically and emotionally but its so varied that you never know what any one day can bring,having said that if you want something less demanding on the emotional side then there are other HCA roles that are regimented and with no surprises that are equally just as rewarding depending on what you want.
That's the beauty of this role. You could work on day patient clinic's and do a 9 to 5 shift or like me 12hr shifts night or day in Em/Sm doctorate in emergency medicine with life or death situations and learning all your clinical skills ( I removed canulas catheters take bloods do samples and observations and skin viability examinations and much more) you could work in radiology the list goes on. When I've been in my ward a year I'm moving to A&E. I always knew I would end up there but wanted to get experience on a ward first which I will find I hard to leave.. So yes there are posts for you to work in that you will really enjoy and dint be worried as you will be really looked after by you team.
Reply 5

Hi ksmith,
Yes working in any heath care setting most certainly helps with applications but its not essential but for me I think it opens doors for you..
As for enjoying my job.. I really do I work on neurology and it can be quite heavy physically and emotionally but its so varied that you never know what any one day can bring,having said that if you want something less demanding on the emotional side then there are other HCA roles that are regimented and with no surprises that are equally just as rewarding depending on what you want.
That's the beauty of this role. You could work on day patient clinic's and do a 9 to 5 shift or like me 12hr shifts night or day in Em/Sm doctorate in emergency medicine with life or death situations and learning all your clinical skills ( I removed canulas catheters take bloods do samples and observations and skin viability examinations and much more) you could work in radiology the list goes on. When I've been in my ward a year I'm moving to A&E. I always knew I would end up there but wanted to get experience on a ward first which I will find It hard to leave.. So yes there are posts for you to work in that you will really enjoy and don't be worried as you will be really looked after by you team. If you need any advice or help then just let me know and I will be happy to do my best to assist you.. Good luck
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you so much. I didn't really know such a job existed until my Mum suggested it to me. I am quite nervous about leaving school and going to work in a hospital setting but hearing of your experience has made me feel much more comfortable! I might need more help if I ever get asked for an interview.... Thanks again! :smile::smile::smile::smile:
Reply 7
Thank you so much. I didn't really know such a job existed until my Mum suggested it to me. I am quite nervous about leaving school and going to work in a hospital setting but hearing of your experience has made me feel much more comfortable! I might need more help if I ever get asked for an interview.... Thanks again! :smile::smile::smile::smile:

It is scary leaving school all the things that go with school, your friends teachers lessons and all the camaraderie that makes it special... But you will get that at work as well.. My main advice would be too listen to what your colleagues tell you and even if it appears to be obvious don't give the impression you already know because one of the best ways to bond with your work colleagues is letting them teach you skills they have amassed over the years it makes them want to help you all the more, then take the bits that you know will work for you.. Building great foundations with the people you work with will gain you so much respect... Always help and offer to support your team members and when you need them they will have your back..let me know how you get on.

Quick Reply

Latest