The Student Room Group

Are you studying for education's sake, or is it just to get better career prospects?

Poll

Do you study for love, or as an investment? Explain your answer in thread :)

As the title. :smile:

Are you passionate about your subject, or do you just see it as an investment?

The Telegraph are doing a feature on ‘studying for love’ for a supplement on going to university. They're looking for students to interview, so if you're interested, send me a PM! :woo:

Here are some things to think about:

Students are increasingly thinking of degrees as investments. But what about studying a subject purely because you're passionate about it and you want to become a better-educated person, rather than just to get a job?

Does anyone do this nowadays?

What are the rewards?

Can you actually get into a more prestigious university if you choose to study a more traditional, ‘academic’ subject?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Puddles the Monkey
As the title. :smile:

Are you passionate about your subject, or do you just see it as an investment?

The Telegraph are doing a feature on ‘studying for love’ for a supplement on going to university. They're looking for students to interview, so if you're interested, send me a PM! :woo:

Here are some things to think about:

Students are increasingly thinking of degrees as investments. But what about studying a subject purely because you're passionate about it and you want to become a better-educated person, rather than just to get a job?

Does anyone do this nowadays?

What are the rewards?

Can you actually get into a more prestigious university if you choose to study a more traditional, ‘academic’ subject?

Can I do this as a recent grad?
Reply 2
Im studying in order to help change the world and impact peoples' lives :smile:
Reply 3
I love my course to bits, but I'd be lying if I said a good job after wasn't my highest priority. Luckily, it happens to be a well paid course but I would've been very hesitant to apply for it if it didn't have at least OK graduate prospects (OK for me is slightly above the avg. salary).
Note: I'm only a y13 offer holder at this stage
(edited 9 years ago)
Posted from TSR Mobile

What course is it?
Just for the career

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely for love. The fact that I need it for the career I want is just a convenient side-effect.
University has been an opportunity for me to get myself out of Cornwall and into the wider UK. This means that by the end of uni, I'll have a flat here in Worcester and I'll have a job - at least until I get one in industry.

That has been one of the main appeals of going to university.
Both. I'm doing my degree because it's needed for the job I want, but I want to do the job I want because I think I'll enjoy it.

Wouldn't spend six years at uni purely because I like the subject, but it does help to like it. If you see what I mean.
Reply 9
both... although im starting to think neither anymore and might switch
My course doesn't lead me to a particular career. I'm doing it purely because I love it :smile:
As a mature student I absolutely see my degree as an investment and finally as a chance to progress into a career I wish I had found 20 years ago.

I have to look at these 18/19 year old's and have respect for them seeming to know what they want to do for a career at such a young age and also I give credence to the fact that the University system in the UK also support and encourage mature students to take part in education at this level to help us enhance our careers further.

One thing I can say is that I know I need to keep learning and plan to do some more A Levels while working as I just love learning - and I know this might sound corny - but I have finally found the right way to learn which makes it a lot easier to get good results and then to want to learn more!
Bit of a false dichotomy, it can be a struggle to keep your motivation up at uni where nobody chases you up, the lecture are boring compared to school / A level and the assessments seem tedious and pedantic... even if you adored the subject before you start. If you picked a subject you're bored by based on a table of graduate salaries you're probably going to struggle for a good classification Imo.
Reply 13
To get the girls.

Education is just a back up
Original post by Roving Fish
Um? :smile:

Sorry mod, I was confused by the why the commentator wanted to go down the route of a degree which takes a lot of hard work just for the sake of women. Surely, there is more to this ?
Original post by Kadak
Sorry mod, I was confused by the why the commentator wanted to go down the route of a degree which takes a lot of hard work just for the sake of women. Surely, there is more to this ?

There most definitely is more to uni than girls - or boys for that matter, I think the other poster was just trying to be funny. :smile:

Are you studying for education's sake Kadak?
I think its a bit of both.
I do love studying and getting educated in certain subjects within great details. I admit, i do get a little excited when learning about hearts and such since I do plan on being a cardiologist one day. However getting through 5+ years(along with masters and such) can be really eh, tiring I guess. But the thought of working in the field of career I have always dreamed on due to university degree, surely makes it worth it.

It's an investment too, I don't think anyone really enjoys spending a lot of their time stressing and crying over the assignments and finals. At times like these, networking plays a key role even when you do have the degree for the required job. There's just good and bad in everything, not that I'm complaining. :rolleyes:
Original post by Roving Fish
There most definitely is more to uni than girls - or boys for that matter, I think the other poster was just trying to be funny. :smile:

Are you studying for education's sake Kadak?

I'm studying for fulfillment , satisfaction, to realize my desired career (Tropical medicine), for my enjoyment, for the challenge, to make my parents and teachers proud and also the fact that apart from education, I don`t really have much things in my life e.g. no romantic relationships , I recently got fed up of gaming etc. I do have friends though, :biggrin:.

Quick Reply

Latest