The Student Room Group

Mechanics of solids

I am 3 weeks in to my course, and i really liked mechanics of solids but im starting to find thats its very messey! The principals are sound, and so as far are tensile strees and strain, youngs modulous and poissions ratio go its fine.

Suddenly they introduce strain in x and strian in y and i find this to be the tip of the iceburg because then you get shearing modulous with lots more notation which is also very simular, i understand the principals behind all of this but being dyslexic im getting very confused since we are having so much new notation thrown at us!

Oh theres that and that fact that the example questions are so hard that though i can follow the solution, theres no way i could come up with it on my own!

Anyone else feel the same?
Reply 1
Did it last year, its a bit messy, but im sure you'll pull though.
- For me it was thermodyamics that really fooked me over, but its squaring up ok this year.

Daniel
Reply 2
I know what its like, hang in there.

What helped me alot was to write down all the formulas i needed clearly, with each term explained and grouped together. Keep it in a nice seperate folder, solving these problems is alot easier when your thought process is clear and its obvious what formula you need to use.

Latest