The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Is Huddersfield racist?

So I got a offer from Huddersfield yesterday and was totally happy but than after I told my friends they told me how racist some people up north can be. That kinda put me down lol. So I just wanted to ask if Huddersfield is racist or not I know there are racist people anywhere but I want to know how extreme it is if its racist in the first place
Reply 1
Yorkshire folk aren't racist. They hate everyone the same. Except Lancastrians, of course. And southerners.

Anyone with a chip on their shoulder will hate Yorkshire.

Anyone who can handle plain speaking (i.e. downright in-your-face rudeness) will be fine. Just don't take it personally, they just say what they see.
(edited 9 years ago)
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
I've been up here since September and I can honestly say I haven't seen any racism myself. However being a white and not officially from the 'SOUTH' I probably wouldn't. There's tonnes of Chinese/Korean living in my halls and some Asian/Pakistani (they might be one and the same...my geography isn't the best) on my course and I haven't experienced any racism. I do a healthcare course though.....so being nice and non-discriminative is almost an entry criteria!

In general though I chose Huddersfield because it had such a friendly atmosphere when I went on the open day compared to any other university I went to and I can honestly say I have not met friendlier people anywhere else. Walk home from a night out where I live and you keep yourself to yourself, in Huddersfield you seem to be able to have a random jolly conversation with everyone you pass!

Hope this makes you feel a bit better! :smile:
Reply 3
cheers that makes me feel way better. As there is a good chance that I will join in September:smile:
Reply 4
I'm from Huddersfield and i live here and nobody is racist! we all treat each other with lurveeee and respect!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I've also applied to huddersfield too, I've made it my firm choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by bright12345
So I got a offer from Huddersfield yesterday and was totally happy but than after I told my friends they told me how racist some people up north can be. That kinda put me down lol. So I just wanted to ask if Huddersfield is racist or not I know there are racist people anywhere but I want to know how extreme it is if its racist in the first place

They're not racist at all I'm an asian/pakistani girl in my first year and i've not experienced anything the people there are friendly and it's a quiet area :smile:
Original post by bright12345

Hi @bright12345

We know you want to hear feedback from your peers, however we would like to reassure you that the University of Huddersfield prides itself as having one of the most culturally diverse student populations in the country. There are more than 120 different nationalities of students here on campus!

If you have any further questions, then please feel free to send us a private message with any concerns or queries you may have. Alternatively our Students’ Union has an Equalities Officer, and you can contact him at [email protected]:

https://www.huddersfield.su/officers/equalities

Thanks
Rachel - UoH
Hi, My brother faced racism on the course he was studying, The tutor who was teaching him was being rude towards many Muslim calling them terrorists etc . He regretted studying there at first he loved what the university had to offer, but soon as he transferred from one course to the other he felt very uncomfortable due to the remarks and being treated as a criminal. This is his own personal experience he has lost faith in the educational system due to one individuals actions.
Original post by Mixedcookie
Hi, My brother faced racism on the course he was studying, The tutor who was teaching him was being rude towards many Muslim calling them terrorists etc . He regretted studying there at first he loved what the university had to offer, but soon as he transferred from one course to the other he felt very uncomfortable due to the remarks and being treated as a criminal. This is his own personal experience he has lost faith in the educational system due to one individuals actions.

Hi @Mixedcookie,

We take any reports of racism at the University of Huddersfield very seriously. We would appreciate it if your brother could provide us with more information about his experience by emailing '[email protected]'

Many thanks,
Claire, UoH

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending