The Student Room Group

This is a question for people of color living in London!!!!!!!!!!!!

have you have faced discrimination because of your race? if so what happened?

Scroll to see replies

Moved to Chat :smile:

Edit: Think it's best suited in Society, given the nature of responses, moved there.
(edited 9 years ago)
The thing is, depending where you go in London "coloured" people will be the majority.

But anyway, no. I have lived here for 5 years and never faced discrimination.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
have you have faced discrimination because of your race? if so what happened?

I surprisingly never have, I've just had people either be really interested in where I'm from or not bothered at all...
Not living in London, but as a white man, I've been told I shouldn't be allowed to do certain things like teach children because 'White men are all potential predators'.

I've heard a lot of stories about when a white man starts working in a school, helicopter mums start expressing worry and asking if their children can move classes to be with a female teacher and ****.

Ah well, thanks a lot Feminism :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah loads of times. I walked down a street around 4 years ago and got racially discriminated by two 12 year old girls around the same age as myself. But I daily get unwelcoming looks by white middle-aged commuters on my way to sixth form, so whateves. It used to affect me, but I couldn't care less tbh at the moment
Reply 6
Not explicitly or "to my face", no.
Itrs prbs the least likely of places to be discrminated in. Its so multi-cultural it seems the majority of people are from elsewhere. I have only lived in central lonfon for a few months though, but never faced any discrimination because of my colour. Only feared looks in the tube because I'm a Muslim not because of colour.
Yes, three times so far in my life. The first time was when I was 12/13 and when I first noticed/faced discrimination first hand.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SophiaLDN
Yes, three times so far in my life. The first time was when I was 12/13 and when I first noticed/faced discrimination first hand.

slick edit
Yeah I have, sucks but not dealt with anything recently thank god
Original post by help!!!!!!!!!!
how can you afford to live in central London? damn you must be rich

Its bloody expensive! My accommodation costs mean I have to live cheaply. Im not rich, but neither am I poor. Its lovely though living a walking distance from everything that I once only saw on postcards. I live 5 minutes away from London Eye on one side, 10 minutes to St Pauls on the other. Fricken awesome. Im at university at Kings College London so £9000 on fees and £8000 on accommodation is emptying my pockets. I'm also a Muslim so no loans, no interest. Ha, I've got to say I'm very good to my Dad these days :wink:
I'm white, but i've been called a "white bitch" by the Romanian population which was rather unusual.
I got called a racist the other day though. I was on the bus discussing guitars with a friend, and when she said she admired the "black sheen on the pick guard," a black woman turned round and went insane. I'd have laughed if I wasn't so bewildered.
In the UK discrimination isn't generally towards black people
Original post by russiantea
In the UK discrimination isn't generally towards black people

If you really are Russian then being discriminate comes by default
I got called a paki. I'm Bengali. :nothing:
Reply 16
Not that I remember in London but have experienced it elsewhere, mainly very ignorant comments classed to some as "banter". Very grateful, in my experience, that I very rarely face it in London.
Not that I can remember of tbh. But my dad has been discriminated against before
Original post by KrazyHusna
Its bloody expensive! My accommodation costs mean I have to live cheaply. Im not rich, but neither am I poor. Its lovely though living a walking distance from everything that I once only saw on postcards. I live 5 minutes away from London Eye on one side, 10 minutes to St Pauls on the other. Fricken awesome. Im at university at Kings College London so £9000 on fees and £8000 on accommodation is emptying my pockets. I'm also a Muslim so no loans, no interest. Ha, I've got to say I'm very good to my Dad these days :wink:

Sounds cool!!
Is this Guy's campus?
Had some white man tell me to eff off back to "Arabia", when I am of Greek and Italian descent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending