The Student Room Group

Is 29 too old

Hi all, is there anyone on here that has or is applying for the RAF that is 29 or older. I've been told by my AFCO that I'm likely to be the oldest. I'm hoping to apply in the next 3 months once I know my 1.5mile run is up to speed and can smash out the press ups.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Nevertooold1985
Hi all, is there anyone on here that has or is applying for the RAF that is 29 or older. I've been told by my AFCO that I'm likely to be the oldest. I'm hoping to apply in the next 3 months once I know my 1.5mile run is up to speed and can smash out the press ups.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can only speak from the point of view of the Army, but 29 would be exceptional. Fitness won't really be a big deal - it'll be that most other people are significantly younger and stupider. Your idea of fun might not be spending all your pay on the first weekend, living like a beggar for the next two weeks, and then borrowing £500 on wonga so you can go to the Canaries over the long weekend with some minger you've found on Tinder.
Schleigg
x

Anything you can advice here? :smile:
Yeah I'm not there to get pissed, I'll be there for to job at hand. Always wanted to do it but was 25 stone but now down to 18 and almost in a position to apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I'm not there to get pissed, I'll be there for to job at hand. Always wanted to do it but was 25 stone but now down to 18 and almost in a position to apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plenty of older people join the RAF, you certainly wouldn't be the oldest! You're still in your twenties!

What jobs are you looking to apply for as that would probably give an indication of what your lifestyle would be like. Not quite the way Clip was painting it, though he did say it was from an Army perspective :wink:
RAFP as I'm already a special constable with Dorset police now. I know they prefer mature people with managerial experiences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
When I went to prtc there were two or three lads who were over thirty. I only know cause the bibs that they were wearing were a different colour to everyone else's during the bleep test, but I imagine there would be a few mid to late twenties also. Don't get me wrong the majority were 16-25, but I did get talking to a few of the older lot. I'll be 28 when I start basic, don't be worried because of your age.
(edited 9 years ago)
Go for it!
Not sure how it works in the RAF. However, pushing 30 in the Army, you'll more than likely not be within the combat groups.

Again, the RAF will be different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would be your vision if anything. Well if you're applying to be a pilot.
Original post by Rach7584
When I went to prtc there were two or three lads who were over thirty. I only know cause the bibs that they were wearing were a different colour to everyone else's during the bleep test, but I imagine there would be a few mid to late twenties also. Don't get me wrong the majority were 16-25, but I did get talking to a few of the older lot. I'll be 28 when I start basic, don't be worried because of your age.

Thanks, i'll be 30 by the time i join up so get the reduced 1.5 time and 1 less press up. (not that a month or so makes a difference in fitness)

How did you find prtc?
Reply 11
I'm hoping to go in RAF & I'm 32 your never too old to change careers. Plus I've spoken to a few people who are over 30. Well done on the weight loss. I've lost 2 stone & wish I waited for my fitness to come up, I've just failed my 1st fitness test so training really hard to pass the 2nd time, good luck with want you choose to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest