The Student Room Group

I hate my degree!

I've never been very sure of what I wanted to do in uni. I had already applied and been accepted to study politics, but last minute I changed my mind and opted for a foundation year in Engineering instead. Having not enjoyed maths since GCSEs, I failed to find a genuine interest in the subject, so my lack of motivation meant I didn't do very well - but I passed. This academic year I started my degree in Civil Engineering and I hate it. It feels like I am forcing myself to do something just for the sake of financial stability, but I can't even imagine being engineer. Can you really build a career on something you do not have a natural ability to do? I am 21, feels like I've just wasted years of my life. I don't even think the people around me believe I can be an engineer because I spent most of my life excelling in arts and humanities.
Which degree do you want to do ? Politics ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by AsandaLFC
Which degree do you want to do ? Politics ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure that's why I don't want to just drop out. Either psychology and sociology or politics and sociology?
Finnish what you have started if you have less than 2yrs if its more I would think twice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by nayabo
I've never been very sure of what I wanted to do in uni. I had already applied and been accepted to study politics, but last minute I changed my mind and opted for a foundation year in Engineering instead. Having not enjoyed maths since GCSEs, I failed to find a genuine interest in the subject, so my lack of motivation meant I didn't do very well - but I passed. This academic year I started my degree in Civil Engineering and I hate it. It feels like I am forcing myself to do something just for the sake of financial stability, but I can't even imagine being engineer. Can you really build a career on something you do not have a natural ability to do? I am 21, feels like I've just wasted years of my life. I don't even think the people around me believe I can be an engineer because I spent most of my life excelling in arts and humanities.

wait let me get this straight....are you still doing the foundation year or have you started the actual civil engineering degree?
Reply 5
Original post by a10
wait let me get this straight....are you still doing the foundation year or have you started the actual civil engineering degree?

finished the foundation year, I'm in my first year of the degree.
Reply 6
Original post by nayabo
finished the foundation year, I'm in my first year of the degree.

since youre this late into the degree i would just say stick with BEng and just do something else then if youre not interested in engineering...who knows you might find by the time youre in year 3 that you actually like it.
Original post by nayabo

When working in mechanical or civil engineering you don't do a great deal of mathematics really. (Well I don't anyway). We still do it but its more to see if the data kicked out by computer is relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest