The Student Room Group

What is the difference between sanity and insanity?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mackemforever
God damn you, I was about to come in here quoting Far Cry 3 :frown:

God dammit, me too. :unimpressed:
Reply 21
For mackemforever and CatnipGlows
[video="youtube;CbY2lCVxefI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbY2lCVxefI[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NHM713
I heard that what make someone insane is doing the same thing over again expecting a different outcome.

What if we are all doing it?

We are all doing it, it's human nature. Perhaps we are insane at first and have to become sane? Or maybe I'm insane ._.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Insanity is irrational, jumbled up, overwhelming thought processes that often lead to the deterioration of one's personality, reasoning and cognitive abilities. This is often caused by emotional trauma, the incapacity to deal with overwhelming/lots of events, lack of mental stimulation etc. There are lots of cases where it isn't as prominent as this, for example serotonin production when you fall in love can make you feel a little insane for a while.

Sanity is reasonable and rational behaviour, everyone lacks a little of this, therefore none of us are completely sane.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Username unknown
We are all doing it, it's human nature. Perhaps we are insane at first and have to become sane? Or maybe I'm insane ._.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It poses more questions really. I don't really know much anything anymore.
Like is sanity and insanity only related to humans as we have consciousness?
Reply 25
Original post by Username unknown
Insanity is irrational, jumbled up, overwhelming thought processes that often lead to the deterioration of one's personality, reasoning and cognitive abilities. This is often caused by emotional trauma, the incapacity to deal with overwhelming/lots of events, lack of mental stimulation etc. There are lots of cases where it isn't as prominent as this, for example serotonin production when you fall in love can make you feel a little insane for a while.

Sanity is reasonable and rational behaviour, everyone lacks a little of this, therefore none of us are completely sane.

Posted from TSR Mobile

we are essentially living in a crazy world, where we don't really know anything.
Original post by NHM713
we are essentially living in a crazy world, where we don't really know anything.

Yeah pretty much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simes
Yes! That's right! I can confirm you are sane!

Come and join me in celebration by disembowelling a virgin on the pyramid's altar and then eating her beating heart in honour of the feathered serpent that made the universe. Then the queen will cut herself all over and ride round, bleeding, so people can see how mighty she is, followed by the priests whipping themselves until they bleed. After all, that's what we normal people do.

My reply was a logical account of what your definition of sanity would be.

I didn't say that I agreed with you.

And since I certianly don't agree with your follow up post, humourous in intent though it may be, it looks like, in your view, I am insane.
So it's fortunate for me that you are not my parent, employer, doctor or prime minister.
Reply 28
Original post by Nogoodsorgods
I didn't say that I agreed with you.

And since I certainly don't agree with your follow up post, humorous in intent though it may be, it looks like, in your view, I am insane.
:eek:

Updated diagnosis: bipolar. :yep:
Reply 29
I think the people at the top are the cause of all this insanity.
Reply 30
Yeah, medically this is just a social construct e.g. having beliefs that are radically out of step with society etc. but we need to use these definitions because there is not yet any way of understanding the biological explanation of most of these phenomena.

I think there is a biological difference between the two in many cases but at present we can only describe it in reference to the common experience of people within our society.

I have had periods of insanity where now I can identify thoughts as being delusions but the problem is that I can't tell you what the essential difference is other than the ideas now seem extremely inplausible.
Reply 31
Original post by Jay84
Yeah, medically this is just a social construct e.g. having beliefs that are radically out of step with society etc. but we need to use these definitions because there is not yet any way of understanding the biological explanation of most of these phenomena.

I think there is a biological difference between the two in many cases but at present we can only describe it in reference to the common experience of people within our society.

I have had periods of insanity where now I can identify thoughts as being delusions but the problem is that I can't tell you what the essential difference is other than the ideas now seem extremely inplausible.

The reason I asked this question, is because of the way systems are set up today...not very good.

It must also be insane, for a society to be out of step with it's environment, Global warming. Making us all insane.

I don't think there is such a thing as sanity, because there will always be someone who thinks differently to you, I don't think however, a way of quantifying it, would be to gauge it against something that is absolute e.g. nature for instances. Idk if that made any sense to you :smile:.
The difference is creativity.
Reply 33
The latter as two additional letters at the beggining of the word.
Reply 34
Original post by SA-1
The latter as two additional letters at the beggining of the word.

So you think there no difference or no such thing?
Reply 35
Original post by Astronomical
The difference is creativity.

How so?
Reply 36
Original post by Jay84

You said you have had moments where you have had thoughts which you considered delusional, based on what?

How do you know, which things are extremely implausible?
Perspective.
Reply 38
Original post by NHM713
You said you have had moments where you have had thoughts which you considered delusional, based on what?

How do you know, which things are extremely implausible?

Based on my own experience, the overwhelming opinion of others and just being identify faults in logic that I couldn't see at the time.

Its a bit like having a dream where you are convinced at the time that the monster is real and he is going to kill you but then you wake up and realise you are in bed and the likelihood is that you were just dreaming, you are aware of the concept of dreams, you know other people have them but you have never actually seen a monster.

The view I kind of hold of, at least my own, insanity is like that: dreaming whilst awake; breakdown of logic and making giant causal leaps in thinking based on conviction rather than evidence.
Reply 39
Well the subject of sanity and insanity at least when related to criminal cases, is a question of how aware one is about either themselves and a situation they may be involved in hence why we have psychotherapists. If a person is judged to be insane they cannot then sentence them to a jail sentence because in the eyes of the law they are unaware of what occurred and there for hold no responsibility for their actions. Which is why they get sent to psychoperapists in order to attempt to cure them of a mental illness.

Of course different countries have different laws in some you may go to a psychopherapist centre then still serve jail time. Or depending on when the insanity/mental illness occurred you will face court when you are given the all clear.

So I don't believe that sanity or insanity is simply judged by beliefs one may hold or acts one may commit but more how aware mentally one is about their actions and the situation which they find themselves in. You can commit a horrible crime and still be judged sane because in your mind you are aware and made provable decisions that led you to a certain point, many factors would be looked at in order to prove how insane or sane you are.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending