The Student Room Group

PGCE clarification needed.

Hi

Basically I'm really confused over what a PGCE enables you to do. I'm currently wanting to be a sociology teacher and due to the subject and student age range I want to teach it'll be at sixth form or college.

However the different PGCE courses have stumped me a little.

Some say 11-16, 11-18, 14+&16+ (in case of a PGCE for further education).

Would it be best for me to do a PGCE in social science for the 11-18 age range or would on the PGCE in further education enable me to teach at A levels.
Reply 1
You could either do social sciences PGCE or you could go for a 14-19 sociology PGCE course
Reply 2
Original post by Samus2
You could either do social sciences PGCE or you could go for a 14-19 sociology PGCE course

Yeah I'm struggling to find one near enough that does sociology, but anyway thanks for the clarification.

Any idea if a general 14-19 PGCE in further education would be usable?
Reply 3
Original post by DanB1991
Yeah I'm struggling to find one near enough that does sociology, but anyway thanks for the clarification.

Any idea if a general 14-19 PGCE in further education would be usable?

Is relocating not possible for you? Or is it something you'd want to avoid?

As far as I'm aware - any PGCE that grants you QTS means you can teach any subject in any school.

At my first placement school, there were teachers who had completed 14-19 PGCEs and were teaching KS3, 4 and 5
Reply 4
Original post by Samus2
Is relocating not possible for you? Or is it something you'd want to avoid?

As far as I'm aware - any PGCE that grants you QTS means you can teach any subject in any school.

At my first placement school, there were teachers who had completed 14-19 PGCEs and were teaching KS3, 4 and 5

After three years of Uni I'm tryign to settle down around the area's I come from, Kinda sick of the Uni lifestyle and don't really want to live somewhere for just a year or so :frown:

Thanks for your help :smile: made it a bit clearer for me
Reply 5
Original post by DanB1991
After three years of Uni I'm tryign to settle down around the area's I come from, Kinda sick of the Uni lifestyle and don't really want to live somewhere for just a year or so :frown:

Thanks for your help :smile: made it a bit clearer for me

That's fair enough. Have you looked into Schools direct near you? Where abouts are you based?
Reply 6
Original post by Samus2
That's fair enough. Have you looked into Schools direct near you? Where abouts are you based?

East midlands, I looked into school direct, but so far I only managed to find a school direct course that was doing social sciences or sociology but it was only one place and had been taken.

Also heard something about school direct giving you a different qualification at the end of it?

Quick Reply

Latest