The Student Room Group

Credit check for a phone contract?

So I've never been on contract before and needed an upgrade on my cracked Iphone 4. I decided to go online to Carphone Warehouse and ordered the HTC one m8 with a £26 p/m contract on Vodafone. My order is still processing as I think they're waiting for Vodafone to do a credit check on my account. Here's the thing, I've only opened my bank account 4 months ago (first one ever) and since then I've been working part time too. Seeing as my account is relatively new I don't really think there is much to score on my account since there is no history. Will this affect the chances of me passing the credit check etc? The billing address of my debit card is the same as my residential address too. How likely am I to pass?
Some community members have reported that https://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/ are more lenient on credit checks - they've been accepted there after being rejected elsewhere.

Give that a try.

Make sure to register to vote before you do, it helps with your credit rating.
Reply 2
Depends on funds in account, how many times you've went into your overdraft and the length of the contract. You'll probably pass if you have enough money in your account.
Original post by high
Depends on funds in account, how many times you've went into your overdraft and the length of the contract. You'll probably pass if you have enough money in your account.

That's not how it works....

OP, you most likely don't have the credit profile in place to apply for a contract phone.
Reply 4
Original post by tehFrance
That's not how it works....

OP, you most likely don't have the credit profile in place to apply for a contract phone.

So how am I ever going to build a credit profile if I'm being rejected for the simplest of things? I asked one of the workers at car phone warehouse and he said as long as the card is at the same address as the house I live on and been there for a few months it should be fine?

I don't mind paying an upfront cost either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
So how am I ever going to build a credit profile if I'm being rejected for the simplest of things? I asked one of the workers at car phone warehouse and he said as long as the card is at the same address as the house I live on and been there for a few months it should be fine?

I don't mind paying an upfront cost either.

The basic way is to have two direct debits from an account in good standing opened for longer than 6 months minimum. You should be able to get a sim only contract no worries but phone contracts can be tricky, wait until you hear back as you have gone to 'Risk' which means there's an 80% chance of rejection.
Reply 6
The basic way is to have two direct debits from an account in good standing opened for longer than 6 months minimum. You should be able to get a sim only contract no worries but phone contracts can be tricky, wait until you hear back as you have gone to 'Risk' which means there's an 80% chance of rejection.

What's your source for this info? Most likely they'll get the computer to do the check but if it's rejected I heard sometimes employees can do a manual credit check for you etc. I know a person who works at carphone warehouse so if I go to him is he allowed to accept me?
Original post by AR_95
What's your source for this info? Most likely they'll get the computer to do the check but if it's rejected I heard sometimes employees can do a manual credit check for you etc. I know a person who works at carphone warehouse so if I go to him is he allowed to accept me?

You said they're waiting for Vodafone to do a check, that means it's been referred to 'risk' which is manually checked on their end, not Carphone Warehouse's end so your friend isn't allowed to accept you. Just wait it out, if you're denied don't apply for credit any time soon, wait 6 months, make sure that you have an active account that's in good standing and then reapply, also apply for a credit builder credit card, Barclaycard Initial is by far the best although HSBC do good offers for customers.

My source: Employees of Vodafone and EE.
Reply 8
You said they're waiting for Vodafone to do a check, that means it's been referred to 'risk' which is manually checked on their end, not Carphone Warehouse's end so your friend isn't allowed to accept you. Just wait it out, if you're denied don't apply for credit any time soon, wait 6 months, make sure that you have an active account that's in good standing and then reapply, also apply for a credit builder credit card, Barclaycard Initial is by far the best although HSBC do good offers for customers.

My source: Employees of Vodafone and EE.

If I'm rejected then I might just go out and buy the phone sim free. I just spoke to a tesco mobile online advisor and he said it's unlikely I'd be accepted for free but much more likely if they ask me to pay an initial deposit, which would be refunded 3 months later? Do you think the same would apply to Vodafone then?
Original post by AR_95
If I'm rejected then I might just go out and buy the phone sim free. I just spoke to a tesco mobile online advisor and he said it's unlikely I'd be accepted for free but much more likely if they ask me to pay an initial deposit, which would be refunded 3 months later? Do you think the same would apply to Vodafone then?

There's that possibility but I can't say that's what they'll come back with.

If you can, pay £x upfront otherwise wait until your profile has something on it :smile:
Reply 10
There's that possibility but I can't say that's what they'll come back with.

If you can, pay £x upfront otherwise wait until your profile has something on it :smile:

Yeah I'd much rather pay up to 100 or 150/200 in cash instead of paying the whole 450/500 for the phone (I'm trying for the HTC M8).
They're all definitely refundable though right, and if not then the monthly cost is deducted?

Thanks for your help anyway.
How about other bank bank accounts? As long as you havent been paying off debts on time and keeping your accounts in order and not had any missed payments, you should be fine.
Reply 12
Original post by andersonsophie_8
How about other bank bank accounts? As long as you havent been paying off debts on time and keeping your accounts in order and not had any missed payments, you should be fine.

I don't have other bank accounts I'm 19...

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should be fine
Reply 14
It's been two days and I still haven't had a response yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
It's been two days and I still haven't had a response yet.

It's a weekend and more specifically, today is a Sunday. You'll get a response during the week.
Reply 16
It's a weekend and more specifically, today is a Sunday. You'll get a response during the week.

Fair enough

Quick Reply