The Student Room Group

Re-doing AS Level? University Perspectives?

At the moment, I'm doing my AS Levels. I'm suffering a "dilemma" though: currently, my grades are all expected to be straight As for this year (which is all good) and A*s for the next... but I feel like the my subjects aren't good for me at all. I currently do Pure Maths & Stats, Philosophy & Ethics, Media Studies and Economics.

I sort of have this goal to do Computer Science at a good university - either Oxford or UCL - and I wasn't really taught about subject choices ("soft"/"mickey mouse") that apparently affects how universities view you.

I sort of want to re-do my AS Levels all over again now; but even if I do, would universities find it "unsightly" or off putting that I've repeated a year?

P.S. I'm dropping media in A2 anyways

Thank you!
Why do you think you need to start over with different subjects? The only required subject for computer science at most universities is maths, which you are already doing. UCL does require further maths as well though, and oxford likes it - could you take up further maths while doing your current subjects? I know people who have done FM in a year, so even if you couldn't start it now you could do that next year. If you are really good at maths you may even be able to catch up with the material this year.

Economics and philosophy are solid 2nd tier subjects and, while they are not as relevant to comp sci as physics for example, should not disadvantage you.

If you are concerned about this, it would be a good idea to call up the unis you are interested in and ask if your current subject combination is ok and/or if it would be ok combined with FM.

If you decide to go down the path you describe above of starting again, this may not be considered a major issue if they were all new subjects, although it is best to check with them anyway.
Maths is the most important A-level for comp sci: as you have already started it you would need to make sure that they would consider it along with your new A-levels to form part of your offer (many 'good' unis will only consider A-levels offered in a 'single sitting', i.e. all taken at the same time in the same 2 years).
Personally I think that doing this is unnecessary, especially if you took up FM, unless there is another reason you want to start over.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest