The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

Child Nursing Interview at Salford

Hi guys,

I am going to have my nursing interview at The University of Salford for Child Nursing very soon! And I was hoping if there is anyone who has already had their interview and could tell me about:

- Types of questions asked in the individual interview?
- What the numeracy and literacy tests were like?

Whether you went for Adult, Child or Mental Health Nursing interview it doesn't really matter, this would be very helpful in helping me prepare.

Thank you in advance!

:smile::biggrin::smile::biggrin::smile::biggrin::smile::biggrin::smile::biggrin::smile::biggrin::smile::biggrin::smile::biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Stefnaaay
I was in Salford for my Mental Health nursing interview on Wednesday, the interview was a lot easier than sitting in the room with everyone for the Maths and Literacy test. Genuinely. Basically, you'll be sent to a room with rows of desks rather than singular so you'll definetly be able to speak to someone beside you to calm the situatio. :smile: The english test was easy, it was 4 questions about Dementia and we were given a laminated sheet with a passage on it to go from. Yours will be similar. the maths test was.. the destroyer of all hope, however that being said I don't have my Maths GCSE- Do you?

As for the questions asked, they'll be different for everyone, but I was asked;
Why Salford, why mental health?
What is the role of a mental health nurse?
Tell me about a time you had to promote courage.
I had 6 in total but I can't remember them right now.

A bit of advice? Familiarise yourself with the Nursing Code of Practice and who the NAMC are, because you may be asked that. :smile:
Good luck! X

Oh, can you tell me about what sort of questions were on the Maths test? Like just fractions, subtractions, divisions,multiplications, additions, and percentages? I got an A in GCSE Maths, but im still worried ill do bad, aha!.. Also, did you have a group interview? Im not sure if i do, because it didnt mention a group interview on the email... Oh and how ling did you have to do the English and Maths test?

Thanks for the tips and advice! really helped! :smile: Good luck to you too, hopefully you get a place :smile: x
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey everyone! I have an interview at Salford Uni on Monday morning! so nervous as I have been to 1 other interview to which I was unsuccessful and have been unsuccessful to my other 3 choices without interview. So this is my very last chance!!!!!! which makes me nervous 100X worse. I am mostly worried about the personal interview PLEASE can anyone tell me exactly what happened in their interview questions, how long, how were the staff ect. I would e so grateful.

Thanks Sophie x
I had my adult nursing interview on Monday. For the maths test I'd say make sure you can do long division! I completely forgot and had to skip those questions.

We had a group interview, it wasn't mentioned on my email either. But it was really fine, just discussing the 6 Cs really. So I would brush up on those.

In the personal interview I was asked why Salford, what would I do if someone told me they weren't happy with their care, how my friends would describe me, what kind of learner I am based on my previous studies and how I think that would work with nursing.
Reply 4
Original post by Sophie.G19
I had a Children's nursing interview back in January.
Started off with the English test which was 4 or 5 questions on an article about the role of the children's nurse, then the maths test which was 30 questions on decimals, multiplications, drug calculations and percentages.
Then we had a group interview. We were given an article on consent within the nursing code of conduct and we had to discuss the key elements of it, then each of us had to present on one of the issues we'd discussed as a group.
Then it was the individual interview. They asked me: why Salford, why do I want to be a children's nurse, how I would deal as a student nurse with scenarios I wasn't sure of, something to do with nursing id read/heard about in the news, the importance of communication skills as a cn and how do I have those skills and lastly why they should offer me a place.

Salford was my first interview and I was terrified but the lecturers were lovely and really keen to keep you relaxed. Just stay calm and show them why you want it and why they should pick you and youll be fine.

On a slightly different note, has anyone had their offers from Salford for cn? Still not heard so I'm starting to freak a little....

Aww thanks so much!! really nervous ill let you know how it goes x
Started off with the English test which was 4 or 5 questions on an article about the role of the children's nurse, then the maths test which was 30 questions on decimals, multiplications, drug calculations and percentages.
Then we had a group interview. We were given an article on consent within the nursing code of conduct and we had to discuss the key elements of it, then each of us had to present on one of the issues we'd discussed as a group.
Then it was the individual interview. They asked me: why Salford, why do I want to be a children's nurse, how I would deal as a student nurse with scenarios I wasn't sure of, something to do with nursing id read/heard about in the news, the importance of communication skills as a cn and how do I have those skills and lastly why they should offer me a place.

Salford was my first interview and I was terrified but the lecturers were lovely and really keen to keep you relaxed. Just stay calm and show them why you want it and why they should pick you and youll be fine.

On a slightly different note, has anyone had their offers from Salford for cn? Still not heard so I'm starting to freak a little....

I haven't heard back either, I had mine in February and the wait is killing me lol :frown: x
Reply 6

I have my interview for Children's Nursing at Salford tomorrow and I am so nervous. Are there any tips regarding keeping confident when talking with the other interviewees? Also, anything in particular you thought the interviewers were keen on talking about? :-) Thanks!
Original post by lpurchon
I have my interview for Children's Nursing at Salford tomorrow and I am so nervous. Are there any tips regarding keeping confident when talking with the other interviewees? Also, anything in particular you thought the interviewers were keen on talking about? :-) Thanks!

Hey, good luck with your interview!:smile: it can be difficult in the group interview if there are loud/dominant characters - I'm a chatty person and I still found it difficult to get a word in at times! Just ensure you contribute something and show that you are listening when others are speaking, they seemed to watch responses. X
Reply 8
Original post by graceelizabeth0
Hey, good luck with your interview!:smile: it can be difficult in the group interview if there are loud/dominant characters - I'm a chatty person and I still found it difficult to get a word in at times! Just ensure you contribute something and show that you are listening when others are speaking, they seemed to watch responses. X

Thanks for the advice :smile: What was your one to one interview like? I'm really nervous about that aspect of the day! X
Reply 9
Thanks for the advice everyone! I must have done well I've been offered and unconditional place at Salford uni for sept 2015! children's and young peoples nursing!! who else is for the sept 15 intake?? x
Reply 10
Original post by Soph888
Thanks for the advice everyone! I must have done well I've been offered and unconditional place at Salford uni for sept 2015! children's and young peoples nursing!! who else is for the sept 15 intake?? x

Me! :smile: I am so excited, do you know where you're living? x
Reply 11
Original post by Soph888

I'm in too 😁 I'm on the masters, so excited! Good luck!!
Neffi I'm on the adult branch of the masters! Can't wait to start!!
Reply 13
Original post by Hannahbubble91
Neffi I'm on the adult branch of the masters! Can't wait to start!!

Fab stuff Hannah...Well done 😁
Reply 14
Me! :smile: I am so excited, do you know where you're living? x

Im living at home! I live in Cheadle so not to far to travel!
Reply 15
Original post by Soph888
Im living at home! I live in Cheadle so not to far to travel!

Also im really not sure what to do now? apply for student loan and nhs bursary and apply for a disclosure also is this right?
I have got an offer at salford for the children's nursing sep 2015 intake! Who else is? And is anyone not living at home?x
Reply 17
Original post by Emilycurrie
I have got an offer at salford for the children's nursing sep 2015 intake! Who else is? And is anyone not living at home?x

I am! :smile: I'm moving away from home to Salford, super excited x
I am! :smile: I'm moving away from home to Salford, super excited x

Where will you be staying? I don't no what to do about accommodation x
Reply 19
Original post by Emilycurrie
Where will you be staying? I don't no what to do about accommodation x

I'm staying in Eddie Colman court :smile: they do 52 week contracts which is what we'll need for nursing! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending