The Student Room Group

Becoming better at Physics (i.e. problem-solving skills)

Okay - I'm predicted an A for A2 physics and normally get through homeworks without any trouble at all - but I tried the recent Physics Olympiad paper 1 and struggled with it quite a bit - making me think that, although I know the stuff and have a reasonably good idea of what's going on - I have a bit of difficulty with solving 'problems' as opposed to just rattling off straightforward questions like we'll get in the exams. I'm thinking more olympiad-type quesitons would be quite useful -but has anyone got any pointers on how to get better at solving problems in general?
Reply 1
Practice! Ask your teacher if you can borrow a more advanced textbook, and try working through some of the exercises (the answers are usually in the back to check). The more experience you get doing different problems, the more familiar they will become. Once you get the hang of solving linear ODEs, for example, using the standard methods, you'll be able to do all sorts of questions really quickly - pendulums, circular motion, etc.

Latest