The Student Room Group

Raf oasc 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Cheers bud
Very quick question about OASC, I had my medical before, consisting of the full check up. Hearing, sight, heart and bones. I'm not going for pilot so will there be another medical (same as before) on day 3?
Reply 102
Original post by Ebas
Cheers bud

What was the fitness test when you were there? MSFT or 2.4km tredmill?
Reply 103
OASC has the MSFT as of Jan 2015
Original post by JDT1234
OASC has the MSFT as of Jan 2015

Do they stop you at the pass mark or is it maximum effort?
Reply 105
Max effort! Getting green will put you behind someone who gets blue in terms of selection. That being said, definitely don't completely destroy yourself before press-ups, as there isn't much of an interim!
Reply 106
Are you allowed paper to work out calculations etc during aptitude tests? :frown:
Reply 107
Original post by AlexF389
Hello all, I was on OASC in late November (19-20), before they changed the fitness test to the bleep, passed it all, heard back mid week last week that I've been put into a sift for April time. Seems I've missed the January sift which is a bit annoying as I was aiming for the April intake, however it'll be July now (hopefully). Pretty awful wait, my second time through the process due to an almighty balls up on my part with a fitness test in 2013. Applying as an ATC Officer!

Hi mate, congratulations on passing! Just curious as to what the sift is you have in April? I thought after passing OASC you were through to IOT (or other training for NCO).
Cheers, it does seem that passing everything does not guarantee you a place! I understand that the majority of ground branch candidates, unless they score a high OASC grade, are put through to a sift, where they look at how many places there are on IOT, and select the best from a pool of candidates similar to myself. I have a sneaking suspicion that the sift is happening at the moment, so every letter, email, phone call is answered with trepidation..! (And then it's usually a political party asking me to vote for them..!!) OASC did say that I would hear either way May time :smile:
Reply 109
Cheers, it does seem that passing everything does not guarantee you a place! I understand that the majority of ground branch candidates, unless they score a high OASC grade, are put through to a sift, where they look at how many places there are on IOT, and select the best from a pool of candidates similar to myself. I have a sneaking suspicion that the sift is happening at the moment, so every letter, email, phone call is answered with trepidation..! (And then it's usually a political party asking me to vote for them..!!) OASC did say that I would hear either way May time :smile:

Ahh ok, cheers for clearing that up. Thought it was going to be another couple days away with a bit of a panic beforehand. But seems like it's all down to then and we just have to hope we've done well enough.
Original post by Mhutch
Ahh ok, cheers for clearing that up. Thought it was going to be another couple days away with a bit of a panic beforehand. But seems like it's all down to then and we just have to hope we've done well enough.

Are you in the same sift or just done OASC?? My personal aim was to be able to sit on the train and not regret anything on the way home. That happened, I'm happy I put my all into it :smile:
Reply 111
Are you in the same sift or just done OASC?? My personal aim was to be able to sit on the train and not regret anything on the way home. That happened, I'm happy I put my all into it :smile:

No mate, i'v got my OASC in 2 weeks. A bit nervous to say the least! I think that's the best view for it. Go at it 100% and have no regrets of negative thoughts.
Original post by Mhutch
No mate, i'v got my OASC in 2 weeks. A bit nervous to say the least! I think that's the best view for it. Go at it 100% and have no regrets of negative thoughts.

Best of luck! And well that's it, their choice if they like me or not but I'm confident that I'm a suitable candidate and confident in what I did. Nerves will soon pass when you get up there and get stuck in :smile:

It's not the norm for the majority to be in a sift, but it isn't a bad thing to be sifted, it normally pretty much guarentees you a slot on IOT, it's just a case of when.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by teasin_tina
It's not the norm for the majority to be in a sift, but it isn't a bad thing to be sifted, it normally pretty much guarentees you a slot on IOT, it's just a case of when.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for cleaning that up Tina, been losing a lot of sleep over it, lifetime ambition and all! The AFCO said that they're keeping me hanging for a good reason, if they don't want me they've had several opportunities to chop me already:smile:. Just trying to stay positive and in shape too! (This burst of warm weather has definitely helped!)
Thank you for cleaning that up Tina, been losing a lot of sleep over it, lifetime ambition and all! The AFCO said that they're keeping me hanging for a good reason, if they don't want me they've had several opportunities to chop me already:smile:. Just trying to stay positive and in shape too! (This burst of warm weather has definitely helped!)

I've just received an email with the same information; that I have been put on the list for further consideration. I spoke to my AFCO who said that all the slots for July iot had been taken for my branch so I will be up for selection in 3 months. It's good news but it does just feel like I am in limbo! When did you go to OASC?
Original post by Tommycraig
I've just received an email with the same information; that I have been put on the list for further consideration. I spoke to my AFCO who said that all the slots for July iot had been taken for my branch so I will be up for selection in 3 months. It's good news but it does just feel like I am in limbo! When did you go to OASC?

Congratulations on not being chopped! Which branch if I may ask?? It's a bit of a wait.. And can get tense. I went on holiday and am an avid road cyclist so aside from work, have been spending a tonne of time on the bike to get my mind off things. I actually sat the board at the beginning of September, but was injured (torn calf) so did the fitness test at the back end of November. Heard in January I'd been put for further consideration, and here I am!
Congratulations on not being chopped! Which branch if I may ask?? It's a bit of a wait.. And can get tense. I went on holiday and am an avid road cyclist so aside from work, have been spending a tonne of time on the bike to get my mind off things. I actually sat the board at the beginning of September, but was injured (torn calf) so did the fitness test at the back end of November. Heard in January I'd been put for further consideration, and here I am!

WOW you have had a long wait. I applied for flight ops. How about you? It says on my email that my application could be kept for up to 9 months! It's better than a no I suppose but it's frustrating to be left in limbo. Like you previously said there has been plenty of opportunity for failure up to this point so should be positive that we are at this stage. So have you had any feedback on how you did at oasc?
Original post by Tommycraig
WOW you have had a long wait. I applied for flight ops. How about you? It says on my email that my application could be kept for up to 9 months! It's better than a no I suppose but it's frustrating to be left in limbo. Like you previously said there has been plenty of opportunity for failure up to this point so should be positive that we are at this stage. So have you had any feedback on how you did at oasc?

Air Traffic (Officer) for myself :smile:, yes they said that to me, however for me, my aptitude test score is about to become invalid (June) so my AFCO believe it'll be a yes/no scenario whenever I get the letter :smile:. Positive though. Has got the the stage where I can't quite remember what I did at OASC! No feedback at all, which is a shame, I'd love to see a report or know what grade I have at the very least! Horrible knowing all my friends are getting places (Pilots, Logs) and I'm still waiting for the sift. Sure we'll be sitting back over a drink in the mess in a few years time, wondering what all the stress was about!
Reply 119
I've just send away my application for the Pilot role the other day. How long did it take for you to go from initial application to filter interview to OASC, roughly?

Quick Reply

Latest