The Student Room Group

Raf oasc 2015

Scroll to see replies

Good news had a call today inviting me to iot in July. I'm buzzing! Good luck to all you guys waiting for your responses
Well done! :biggrin:. Still waiting...
Anyone else still waiting on a sift result?? Having to accept that IOT 42 won't happen as there isn't enough time I don't think :frown:.
Reply 163
Original post by AlexF389
Anyone else still waiting on a sift result?? Having to accept that IOT 42 won't happen as there isn't enough time I don't think :frown:.

The last FAM visit for IOT42 is in about two days, so even if you got through the sift tomorrow the earliest IOT you could do is October...
My advice would be try to stop stressing about it! I know it's really hard, but try to focus on exams/work/hobbies or whatever.
You'll find out when you find out, there's nothing more you can do about it now, so just relax and try to take your mind off it - friends of mine have spent months and month in the sift before finding out, but bear in mind it's better than an outright no!
Original post by maxice
The last FAM visit for IOT42 is in about two days, so even if you got through the sift tomorrow the earliest IOT you could do is October...
My advice would be try to stop stressing about it! I know it's really hard, but try to focus on exams/work/hobbies or whatever.
You'll find out when you find out, there's nothing more you can do about it now, so just relax and try to take your mind off it - friends of mine have spent months and month in the sift before finding out, but bear in mind it's better than an outright no!

Well as the day draws to a close, I sadly believe you're right. originally they said I'd hear in December, then January, then April, then May for the July intake... don't know when it's going to happen but my life is currently on hold until something does. And its my second time through OASC.. been doing this since Spring 2013. Absolutely hate this situation right now.
Reply 165
Well as the day draws to a close, I sadly believe you're right. originally they said I'd hear in December, then January, then April, then May for the July intake... don't know when it's going to happen but my life is currently on hold until something does. And its my second time through OASC.. been doing this since Spring 2013. Absolutely hate this situation right now.

I'm sure that's not typical of the system, however when applying for competitive branches, ie high number of applicants and low number of places, sometimes it happens! (Especially if it's a branch with extremes either way) In the mean time, just crack on with work and the like, keep yourself busy, and give the AFCO/OASC a nudge every so often (like once every 3-4 weeks) so they don't forget about you! FAM visits for October are likely to be in August, so you've got a while to wait until the next chance, but use it to make the most of the summer! It's frustrating but it'll be worth it in the end I'm sure!
Original post by maxice
I'm sure that's not typical of the system, however when applying for competitive branches, ie high number of applicants and low number of places, sometimes it happens! (Especially if it's a branch with extremes either way) In the mean time, just crack on with work and the like, keep yourself busy, and give the AFCO/OASC a nudge every so often (like once every 3-4 weeks) so they don't forget about you! FAM visits for October are likely to be in August, so you've got a while to wait until the next chance, but use it to make the most of the summer! It's frustrating but it'll be worth it in the end I'm sure!

Very true! Well on the plus side... At least I get to make the most of the 'nice' weather (avid road cyclist) so out on the road, bit of running, keeping in shape... Can never be in too good a shape for IOT right?? :smile:. Reading back, are you on IOT 43??
Reply 167
Very true! Well on the plus side... At least I get to make the most of the 'nice' weather (avid road cyclist) so out on the road, bit of running, keeping in shape... Can never be in too good a shape for IOT right?? :smile:. Reading back, are you on IOT 43??

Exactly! (Not to derail the thread: I'm also a keen cyclist (and beginner triathlete) - what bike have you got?)

That's my plan too haha, finish off my time in the UAS then spend the next few months improving fitness further!

Indeed I will be! :smile:
Original post by maxice
Exactly! (Not to derail the thread: I'm also a keen cyclist (and beginner triathlete) - what bike have you got?)

That's my plan too haha, finish off my time in the UAS then spend the next few months improving fitness further!

Indeed I will be! :smile:

Good good, currently ride a Specialized Allez with a 10 speed 105 groupset and Fulcrum wheels :smile:. Saving up for a Canyon Aeroad so I can start racing (after officer training) though!
Reply 169
Good good, currently ride a Specialized Allez with a 10 speed 105 groupset and Fulcrum wheels :smile:. Saving up for a Canyon Aeroad so I can start racing (after officer training) though!

Nice! I'm on a Cube Peloton Pro with 10spd Tiagra on Ultegra 6800 wheels :smile: The Canyon looks nice! I'm putting money away for a Felt DA4 :smile:

Hopefully you'll end up on IOT43 with me in October!

Remain optimistic, I was in the recruitment pipeline/rejection pile from 2012, finally started IOT in 2014. You'll very quickly forget the times your life was on hold when you get on course, just use this time to phys/travel/spend time with friends family/watch the entire band of brothers box set again etc etc. it'll be worth it in the end! What's your branch choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 171
Hello

Has anybody on here found any useful resources on the aircraft that the RAF have currently in service apart from the actual website?

Thank you in advance
Original post by teasin_tina
Remain optimistic, I was in the recruitment pipeline/rejection pile from 2012, finally started IOT in 2014. You'll very quickly forget the times your life was on hold when you get on course, just use this time to phys/travel/spend time with friends family/watch the entire band of brothers box set again etc etc. it'll be worth it in the end! What's your branch choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're consistent with making me feel better! Going for Air Traffic Control :smile:
You're consistent with making me feel better! Going for Air Traffic Control :smile:

Aww well then it's worth contributing then. It'll all be worth it in the end! Air tragic is nails but when things get crap just remember the end picture, and you'll be out here living it before you know it. Let me know how you get on.
Original post by teasin_tina
Aww well then it's worth contributing then. It'll all be worth it in the end! Air tragic is nails but when things get crap just remember the end picture, and you'll be out here living it before you know it. Let me know how you get on.

Unfortunately had a rejection letter this afternoon. Difficult to take but I'm glad I've got a result. Only 21 so still young, just looking forward to moving on now!
Unfortunately had a rejection letter this afternoon. Difficult to take but I'm glad I've got a result. Only 21 so still young, just looking forward to moving on now!

Sorry to hear that Alex. You should only need to wait 12 months from your oasc date to go back, and 6 months for your application beforehand, but when the branch was open I kept applying until they accepted it a few weeks early.

Call the afco and ask for a breakdown of your oasc scores, and work on whatever you scored 2 or less on, and keep coming back to us here for advice. You'll make it one day, it's just a case of persistence, and that determination shows so can only go in your favour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry to hear that Alex. Keep trying, remain positive!

Okay guys, I have my OASC 23-25th of this month. Could any of you give me an idea on the type of topics they use for the group discussion? Is it general stuff that everyone knows about or could it be something that's just happened in the news?

Thanks!
Original post by Stephh.
Is it general stuff that everyone knows about or could it be something that's just happened in the news?

Yes.

They are looking for someone with potential who has their own views on world events and who keeps up with current events.
Original post by Stephh.
Sorry to hear that Alex. Keep trying, remain positive!

Okay guys, I have my OASC 23-25th of this month. Could any of you give me an idea on the type of topics they use for the group discussion? Is it general stuff that everyone knows about or could it be something that's just happened in the news?

Thanks!

It's not normally a subject you need to have revised, it will be something that even if you have no idea about, after listening to your syndicate debate for a few moments you can pick up the gist of the conversation, devise an opinion and join in. You don't need to worry about this section, it is the first thing and is more of an ice breaker, you'll all be nervous as it's day one task one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest