The Student Room Group

Which is the best university in Scotland to study French and German?

Hello,
I'm an Italian student and I've recently sent my ucas application to five Scottish universities to study French and German ( Edinburgh, Heriot-Watt, Glasgow, Saint Andrews, Aberdeen) Since my goal is to study either in Edinburgh or Glasgow my main three choices are the University of Edinburgh, Heriot-Watt university and the university of Glasgow ( which I already got a conditional offer from).
My question is: among these three choices which is the best university to study the subjects mentioned above? So far I found Heriot-Watt the most interesting one since it's the only one which offers a course focused on Interpreting and Translating but I would like to know whether you guys know more than I do!
Thanks in advance 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dietraeumerei
Hello,
I'm an Italian student and I've recently sent my ucas application to five Scottish universities to study French and German ( Edinburgh, Heriot-Watt, Glasgow, Saint Andrews, Aberdeen) Since my goal is to study either in Edinburgh or Glasgow my main three choices are the University of Edinburgh, Heriot-Watt university and the university of Glasgow ( which I already got a conditional offer from).
My question is: among these three choices which is the best university to study the subjects mentioned above? So far I found Heriot-Watt the most interesting one since it's the only one which offers a course focused on Interpreting and Translating but I would like to know whether you guys know more than I do!
Thanks in advance 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the language courses - hopefully someone else can help you there.

In general terms, St Andrews definitely has the best reputation. Although rankings aren't the best thing to base your choices on, St Andrews is often very high up (top 5 in the UK). I've also heard it's really beautiful: it's the third oldest English-speaking university in the world.

Edinburgh and Glasgow are of course well-regarded as they belong to the Russell Group. For Heriot-Watt, for me personally, is has that problem of being "the other Edinburgh uni".
Most cities in the UK have two universities - the old well established one which is often Russell Group, and the newer one which often used to be a college of polytechnic. Generally the former are better regarded. However, it doesn't always follow as both can offer exceptional courses and I have heard Heriot-Watt in particular ranks highly for languages.
So I wouldn't let that put you off if you think it's the best place for you.

Good luck with your offers and choices!
Reply 2
Original post by dietraeumerei
Hello,
Thanks in advance ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best is relative. When I did languages at Glasgow (admittedly a very long time ago) there was a very heavy focus on literature. In French, I think we had to read and analyse a different book every couple of weeks. Things may have changed since then but it would be worth checking out what the modules involve, especially if you're not very keen on literature. We did a lot of translating in our language modules but it was a means rather than an end, so there's no professional qualification as a translator at the end of it. If you're really interested in translating and interpreting, Heriot Watt might be best for you.

Quick Reply