The Student Room Group

Car insurance claim against me, how does it work, will i know?

In a crash yesterday, went into the back of someone
she took all of my details, name, address number and insurance company
i stupidly didnt take hers

she hasnt contacted me yet, im just a bit worried, personally i dont want to go through insurance and would just pay for her repairs (a smashed back light), reason being as im a young driver and insurance is already expensive

is there a time period she'll have to make a claim within?
if she was to make a claim against me without contacting me first, like ringing me, will i be notified by my insurance?

im just worried as i dont know what she's gonna do and dont know when/if im going to find out as i cant contact her
Reply 1
also, is it possible to make a claim with the details she has of me
name
insurance company
address?
Original post by MalikkkG
also, is it possible to make a claim with the details she has of me
name
insurance company
address?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hate to break it to you but they're gonna say it's your fault (if you go in the back of someone irregardless of the circumstances it's your fault. Even if it isn't your fault it is. For example my boyfriend was driving at 60 and some idiot pulled out in front of him at 30, he had to slam the brakes on so he didn't hit the driver in front...that would have been his fault)
She will contact your insurance for the claim and your insurance might end up going up because of it =/ Or she'll contact her insurance who will contact yours but they should let you know soon =)
I had an idiot who clearly drove into me. The insurance said I needed to prove this. So now I got car DVR at the front, but I also got my sport camera and place it on the car and now film everything. As you can see my sport camera is small and has lots of parts, for me to attach it to the back of car.
Reply 5
Should've really taken her details. If she makes a claim your insurance won't be happy you didn't tell them immediately
Just to reiterate what everyone else is saying, it is important that you let your insurance company know. As has already been said, going in to the back of someone is always seen as that drivers fault. You must let your insurance company know of any accidents/collisions etc. straight away. Even if you paid them yourself you still legally have to let your insurance company know. Especially as you can't contact the other driver to find out if they are making a claim as if they do then your insurance company have the right to deny you any money as you have not informed them of details right away.
Reply 7
Original post by Jackieox
Hate to break it to you but they're gonna say it's your fault (if you go in the back of someone irregardless of the circumstances it's your fault. Even if it isn't your fault it is. For example my boyfriend was driving at 60 and some idiot pulled out in front of him at 30, he had to slam the brakes on so he didn't hit the driver in front...that would have been his fault)
She will contact your insurance for the claim and your insurance might end up going up because of it =/ Or she'll contact her insurance who will contact yours but they should let you know soon =)

Original post by Unbearable
Just to reiterate what everyone else is saying, it is important that you let your insurance company know. As has already been said, going in to the back of someone is always seen as that drivers fault. You must let your insurance company know of any accidents/collisions etc. straight away. Even if you paid them yourself you still legally have to let your insurance company know. Especially as you can't contact the other driver to find out if they are making a claim as if they do then your insurance company have the right to deny you any money as you have not informed them of details right away.

It's usually but not always true.

Quick Reply

Latest