The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StrangeBanana
It's not just the grades that will be playing part. Most people have more than one Sixth Form offer, and some people, having received an offer from HWSF, will decide (incorrectly :tongue:) that they'd rather go to another school.

Ultimately, the school's playing the statistics game; there's nothing else they can do, really. It'd be a shame if they gave out 285 offers and only 200 people showed up, leaving 85 students who could have gone without places.
oh yes, I forget about that. I spoke to some people who said it was their 2nd, 3rd even 4th choice but are that many people couldn't miss the offer or decline? Edit: ignore this, I just saw your post above. Also, do we get sent packs with information etc, I just received an email saying they received my acceptance of the conditional offer?
(edited 8 years ago)
I dont think there will be 450 students. I've decided not to go so I'm sure plenty of other people will have also decided against going aswell. I'm really excited for all of those that have accepted, you seem really excited 😊. Do let me know how it all goes in September; make me regret my decision not to go 😂.
Original post by kamranali
I dont think there will be 450 students. I've decided not to go so I'm sure plenty of other people will have also decided against going aswell. I'm really excited for all of those that have accepted, you seem really excited 😊. Do let me know how it all goes in September; make me regret my decision not to go 😂.

Why did you decide against going?
Original post by AweysAbdul
Why did you decide against going?

Well, I didn't really feel a connection to the school if that makes sense. The people were kind to me, but the atmosphere was rather... I was indiferent to it, almost as if I was viewing it from an apathetic complecency. It was a good school, but not one I'd feel passionate about attending. The facilities felt very cold. I like that feeling of walking into a classroom and seeing work on the walls and essays hung up decorativley, it makes for a rather homely feel, which the school doesn't really have. The location is wonderful, but I'm quite used to Central London and Big Ben seeing as I live in a very central touristy area, so there isn't that same reverence and awe that you get coming from Hounslow or Croydon. Generally, It didn't excite me like I thought it would, and the teachers are no diferent to those at the school I currently attend ( which I won't be attending next year) so again not feeling it's as superlative as it sounds. Despite all of that, if I didn't live in Kensington and Chelsea, which has some great schools, and therefore didn't have the oppurtunity to go to a good school near me, I would definitley go for Harris. Hopefully I can live vicariously through you all, and my space will go to someone who is more excited to attend than I am 😊.
I'm not sure who asked the question, but someone did tweet the headmaster and he said that if all 450 people got the grades and wanted a place, they would get one. However, it's safe to assume that many people will decide to go elsewhere and a small number of people won't get the grades, bringing the number down, or at least closer to, the 275 places they aimed to fill.

What's confused me is the 6Bs bit? I was under the impression you needed 2Bs and 4A/A* to get in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by erodedsoul

What's confused me is the 6Bs bit? I was under the impression you needed 2Bs and 4A/A* to get in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need at least 6 Bs as well as at least As in the subjects you want to do (guessing it's A* for Further Maths)
So getting 2 Bs and 4 As would get you in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is Harris going to ask our current school for references?
Original post by amarocks88
Is Harris going to ask our current school for references?

I believe they do- but only to get a bit of background information I don't think it has any effect on your offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
To any current Harris students:

Is it possible to change the subjects you wish to study, and if so, what is the time frame? Would I need to inform them before the school year starts? (Or, if I am already studying the subject in September, will I be allowed to switch to a different subject?)

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Jem +

Is it possible to change the subjects you wish to study, and if so, what is the time frame? Would I need to inform them before the school year starts? (Or, if I am already studying the subject in September, will I be allowed to switch to a different subject?)

Thanks in advance.

I'm in the same situation as you and I asked the head teacher if I could change my fourth option and he said email this when you scan your acceptance form.
I also asked, having already send the letter back weeks ago I was told to just send an email to enquiries
Original post by Thedaniellamary
I'm in the same situation as you and I asked the head teacher if I could change my fourth option and he said email this when you scan your acceptance form.

I see, thank you :h:
The problem for me is that I wish to take a language. However I did not sit the entrance exam (I applied for three sciences and maths, and so I took my exams in Maths & Chemistry).
I called the school but they said they weren't sure if I'd have to sit the entrance exam or not.

Another problem (or positive?) is that the language I want to study is German apparently I'll have to go to Westminster School for my lessons :s-smilie:

Anyone know if this is actually the case?
Original post by Jem +

Thanks in advance.

people were still changing subjects like a month into school
Anyone got the induction day letter? Mine is July 1st, liking the little postcard they sent too :smile:
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
Anyone got the induction day letter? Mine is July 1st, liking the little postcard they sent too :smile:
yeah 29th of next month and it was truly so thoughtful. Most schools just say you're accepted see you in September. That was really nice

Agreed! Mine is also on July the 1st :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yup, July 1st at 1.45
anyone else got 30th of june? :s
I was having trouble reading the postcard,but it was a nice touch nonetheless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1679
Hey i have been offered a place at hwsf an i just wanted to know how some of the students find school on saturdays. I would appreciate total honesty please. Dont worry about putting me off, I'm just curious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending