The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Hey, I attended the open day for Harris Westminster Sixth Form and I was really impressed by what I saw and heard. So I applied straight away and I've recently been contacted about the entrance exams and I was just wondering - what are they like? How are they structured etc? Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for the exams?

The subjects I'm taking are English Lit, Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

I'm kind of nervous, so any related info would be much appreciated!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by themonalisa
Hey, I attended the open day for Harris Westminster Sixth Form and I was really impressed by what I saw and heard. So I applied straight away and I've recently been contacted about the entrance exams and I was just wondering - what are they like? How are they structured etc? Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for the exams?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3071507
I believe we done a 40 minute exam in each subject with a small break between each one. Basic GCSE knowledge needed, nothing more. Very simple and easy to score highly enough to get in. Just skim through the gcse textbook for each subject and make sure you know the basics. You also have to write a little personal statement at the end. Those who score highly enough in the tests get an interview. Then they add up your test scores and interview and give out offers accordingly.
Reply 3

How were the classrooms and facilities. It doesnt look to impressive from the photos I've seen.

How were the teachers?

Tell me everything

I also attended one of the open events and was pretty amazed from what I saw. I also applied and received a letter regarding the exams. I was shocked when I looked at my candidate number which is 401 :frown:

I think that exams won't be too easy because I asked a student there about the exams and he said they were very hard. However I suppose if you are a top achiever you should fly through.To prepare I would recommend UKMT Questions for Maths and IGCSE for Biology and Chemistry. With regards to English I am unaware.

In terms of the structure, it will simply be the best being interviewed and then offered a place.

May I ask where else are you applying?
Reply 5
Original post by DarkAvenger
I also attended one of the open events and was pretty amazed from what I saw. I also applied and received a letter regarding the exams. I was shocked when I looked at my candidate number which is 401 :frown:

I think that exams won't be too easy because I asked a student there about the exams and he said they were very hard. However I suppose if you are a top achiever you should fly through.To prepare I would recommend UKMT Questions for Maths and IGCSE for Biology and Chemistry. With regards to English I am unaware.

In terms of the structure, it will simply be the best being interviewed and then offered a place.

is the school that good?
Reply 6
I haven't received reply back from Harris Westminster ever since I applied for it, so the anxiety is really becoming a pain now but looking at questions it didn't seem to be too hard. It would be best to make revision notes and re-visit them continuously. If you guys don't mind, would you be happy to tell me your predicted grades?

Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by sakshres
I haven't received reply back from Harris Westminster ever since I applied for it, so the anxiety is really becoming a pain now but looking at questions it didn't seem to be too hard. It would be best to make revision notes and re-visit them continuously. If you guys don't mind, would you be happy to tell me your predicted grades?

Thanks

Hey did you go to the open day?

I'm a late applicant so I'll have to wait a bit.

Already Achieved Grades:

History: A*
Spanish A*
RE A

Predicted

Math A*
Chem A*
Bio A*
Phy A*
Economics A*
Lang A*
French A
Lit A
Hi, I've applied too and got a letter for the examinations, but it doesn't say whether I should attend the AM or PM sessions. Anyone else having this problem? I've tried e-mailing them but it says there's an error. Help!
Reply 9
Original post by acuriousmind
Hi, I've applied too and got a letter for the examinations, but it doesn't say whether I should attend the AM or PM sessions. Anyone else having this problem? I've tried e-mailing them but it says there's an error. Help!

Did you go the open day??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!! why is no one replying to this bloody questions ffs.

call up the school tomorrow
Original post by YounesB
Did you go the open day??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!! why is no one replying to this bloody questions ffs.

call up the school tomorrow

Yeah I went to the open evening.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah I went to the open evening.

How was it?

Tell me everything!

How were the facilities etc...how were the teachers.
Original post by YounesB
How were the classrooms and facilities. It doesnt look to impressive from the photos I've seen.

How were the teachers?

Tell me everything

The classrooms were quite big I must say, and the classes were quite small (10-15 students) so it worked out and it felt like there was a lot of space left over. I was really impressed by the teacher's credentials - they all graduated from, or had their masters from, either Oxford or Cambridge (at least the ones I spoke to did) and that's really good if you're aiming to go to any Russel Group Universities because it means they can offer you the support and guidance you need.

I really like the Head Teacher's speech at the start, though it sounded a bit theatrical and dramatic, but I'm all for public speaking so - yeah!

All the students I talked to said they really enjoyed it there and they seem to have really a good enrichment program as well. Sounds like the dream school... wonder what's the catch?
Original post by Economistician
I believe we done a 40 minute exam in each subject with a small break between each one. Basic GCSE knowledge needed, nothing more. Very simple and easy to score highly enough to get in. Just skim through the gcse textbook for each subject and make sure you know the basics. You also have to write a little personal statement at the end. Those who score highly enough in the tests get an interview. Then they add up your test scores and interview and give out offers accordingly.

What exams did you do and how did you find them?

Thanks for the info btw, it's really helpful!

Thanks

They e-mailed me saying that letters would be sent out by next Tuesday, so I wouldn't start panicking until then. If you still haven't heard back by then, I suggest you call them up.

My predicted grades are:
English Lit: A*
English Lang: A*
Maths: A*
Further mAths: A*^
Further Additional Science: A*
History: A
French: A*
Art: A
Sports Studies: A*
Italian: A*

Hope it helps :smile:
The classrooms were quite big I must say, and the classes were quite small (10-15 students) so it worked out and it felt like there was a lot of space left over. I was really impressed by the teacher's credentials - they all graduated from, or had their masters from, either Oxford or Cambridge (at least the ones I spoke to did) and that's really good if you're aiming to go to any Russel Group Universities because it means they can offer you the support and guidance you need.

I really like the Head Teacher's speech at the start, though it sounded a bit theatrical and dramatic, but I'm all for public speaking so - yeah!

All the students I talked to said they really enjoyed it there and they seem to have really a good enrichment program as well. Sounds like the dream school... wonder what's the catch?

I have to agree the headteachers speech was infact very dramatic but he was extremely confident and I don't know about you guys but I could feel his confidence. The senior pupils from the assembly were all praises for the sixth form and made it look like an ideal place for education as well and the teachers seemed very supportive.

In my opinion, the only catch is the competition they put us through!
Original post by DarkAvenger

Thank you this is really helpful :smile:

I applied to Westminster School (the private one) but failed to make it through to the interview stage, and I'm applying at LAE, Seven Kings, NCS, Forest Sixth Form, Valentine's School. Unfortunately the deadline for the other private/really prestigious schools have already gone. What about yourself?
They e-mailed me saying that letters would be sent out by next Tuesday, so I wouldn't start panicking until then. If you still haven't heard back by then, I suggest you call them up.

My predicted grades are:
English Lit: A*
English Lang: A*
Maths: A*
Further mAths: A*^
Further Additional Science: A*
History: A
French: A*
Art: A
Sports Studies: A*
Italian: A*

Hope it helps :smile:

The thing is me and friend have similar predicted grades as you but we didn't receive any letter or email.
I want to call them but it would be extremely awkward if they tell me my name isn't on the list etc.
The thing is me and friend have similar predicted grades as you but we didn't receive any letter or email.
I want to call them but it would be extremely awkward if they tell me my name isn't on the list etc.

I'd say it's worth taking the risk of facing a bit of awkwardness if it means you getting through.
I mean, could be that you didn't apply properly, so wouldn't you rather find out now while there's still time?

Call them, better to be safe than sorry :smile:
I have to agree the headteachers speech was infact very dramatic but he was extremely confident and I don't know about you guys but I could feel his confidence. The senior pupils from the assembly were all praises for the sixth form and made it look like an ideal place for education as well and the teachers seemed very supportive.

In my opinion, the only catch is the competition they put us through!

You're completely right! :smile:

Quick Reply