The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The cameras wouldn't even flash you for doing 3 mph's over the speed limit, so there's no way you'd be failed on this, that's just some BS you're making up because you more than likely did something really dumb and failed for it but you're too stubborn to admit it.

Oh well it looks like you're stuck with the loser plates for now, they suit you.
Reply 2
Original post by ilikeflying
I failed because I was going 33mph in a 30mph zone, it's a p**s take! If I was going 35+ mph I'd understand, but 33mph is a bit harsh?!

It's really damn well annoying.
Good.

You can't even drive yet but you already think you're above the law, even with an examiner in the car.

With that attitude you'll be one of those people who kills someone within a few months of passing.

Your arrogance needs knocking back. Hopefully this will sink in over time and you'll realise you are not competent to drive with that attitude and lack of experience.
Reply 3
Original post by Simes
Good.

You can't even drive yet but you already think you're above the law, even with an examiner in the car.

With that attitude you'll be one of those people who kills someone within a few months of passing.

Your arrogance needs knocking back. Hopefully this will sink in over time and you'll realise you are not competent to drive with that attitude and lack of experience.

That is my point, doing 33mph isn't breaking the law, going 10% over the speed limit is. Also, speedometers are designed to read 10% over their true value, so even if I was doing 33mph, my true velocity would be 30mph.

I failed yeah and have accepted it.
Unfortunately you can fail driving tests for the slightest reasons. A 'major' mistake doesn't necessarily means a dangerous one. I failed one of my driving tests because I touched a white line on a rounderbout. I'd hardly call it dangerous, and no other car was even on the mini rounderbout but me. Anyway, you'll have to accept it wasn't to be this time and try hard again next time. You'll get there.
Reply 5
That is my point, doing 33mph isn't breaking the law, going 10% over the speed limit is. Also, speedometers are designed to read 10% over their true value, so even if I was doing 33mph, my true velocity would be 30mph.

I failed yeah and have accepted it.

Firstly, doing 33 in a 30 IS breaking the law. They have to assume your speedometer is correct.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, they're thinking if you do this when they are in the car, what will you do on your own!

It does seem a mite harsh though if it was a one off for a short period of time. Good luck next time.
Reply 6
Original post by Zarek
Firstly, doing 33 in a 30 IS breaking the law. They have to assume your speedometer is correct.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, they're thinking if you do this when they are in the car, what will you do on your own!

It does seem a mite harsh though if it was a one off for a short period of time. Good luck next time.

Thanks, I was a one off, it was for about 10 seconds
Reply 7
Original post by Veggiechic6
Unfortunately you can fail driving tests for the slightest reasons. A 'major' mistake doesn't necessarily means a dangerous one. I failed one of my driving tests because I touched a white line on a rounderbout. I'd hardly call it dangerous, and no other car was even on the mini rounderbout but me. Anyway, you'll have to accept it wasn't to be this time and try hard again next time. You'll get there.

Yeah I know it's unfair, oh well. I've accepted failure and I'll try harder next time
Lol at those saying your arrogant and need knocking back ! Literally hilarious , trying to sound all "intelligent"

It would be over looked if you were to do 33 in a 30 zone in 'real life' it's so easy to pick up speed in a split second , you can't constantly be looking at your speedometer. I passed my test two years btw.
I failed my first test because some learner driver parked on a hill up ahead of me pulled out AFTER I did. My driving instructor was absolutely fuming with the examiner and the driving instructor of the fellow learner driver.
Was the failed decision over turned. NO! Of course not. They knew I would retake it paying £60 off quid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
That is my point, doing 33mph isn't breaking the law.

In a 30, yes it is.

speedometers are designed to read 10% over their true value.

False.
Original post by ToastyCoke
In a 30, yes it is.

False.

No mate, a speedgun would read 30mph.
Original post by BANS2012
Lol at those saying your arrogant and need knocking back ! Literally hilarious , trying to sound all "intelligent"

It would be over looked if you were to do 33 in a 30 zone in 'real life' it's so easy to pick up speed in a split second , you can't constantly be looking at your speedometer. I passed my test two years btw.
I failed my first test because some learner driver parked on a hill up ahead of me pulled out AFTER I did. My driving instructor was absolutely fuming with the examiner and the driving instructor of the fellow learner driver.
Was the failed decision over turned. NO! Of course not. They knew I would retake it paying £60 off quid.

Finally, someone with an ounce of intellegence! Haha ikr! They fail you for the most ridiculous of things! I've gotta pay another 60 quid to retake it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Finally, someone with an ounce of intellegence! Haha ikr! They fail you for the most ridiculous of things! I've gotta pay another 60 quid to retake it.
No mate, a speedgun would read 30mph.

No mate, it would not. The only way your speedo would be out, is it you've put the incorrect size of tyres or something on your car. There's a bit of lee-way that speedo's must fall within due to this sort of thing, but I'd bet your instructors car is pretty new and is calibrated well and would be out by a fraction of a mph.

You WERE speeding and you failed for it. The definition of a speed limit sign is the absolute maximum speed permitted on that road. It's not the absolute maximum 'give or take, depending on whether or not you're a know it all and think your speedo is out by a few mph, so take the risk.' A 20 or a 30 area is the worst place to speed. These are build up residential areas and will have schools etc in them. That's an automatic fail and the police aren't as lenient as if you were doing 85 on the motorway.

You're a learner and you have a know it all attitude. Good on the examiner for failing you, you need taking down a peg or two. And I seriously doubt it was 33mph. Can you see the drivers speedo from the passenger seat? No, you cannot. You must have been pushing 40 in order for the examiner to lean over and actively check the speed. A few porky-pies I think.
(edited 9 years ago)
No mate, it would not. The only way your speedo would be out, is it you've put the incorrect size of tyres or something on your car. There's a bit of lee-way that speedo's must fall within due to this sort of thing, but I'd bet your instructors car is pretty new and is calibrated well and would be out by a fraction of a mph.

You WERE speeding and you failed for it. The definition of a speed limit sign is the absolute maximum speed permitted on that road. It's not the absolute maximum 'give or take, depending on whether or not you're a know it all and think your speedo is out by a few mph, so take the risk.' A 20 or a 30 area is the worst place to speed. These are build up residential areas and will have schools etc in them. That's an automatic fail and the police aren't as lenient as if you were doing 85 on the motorway.

You're a learner and you have a know it all attitude. Good on the examiner for failing you, you need taking down a peg or two. And I seriously doubt it was 33mph. Can you see the drivers speedo from the passenger seat? No, you cannot. You must have been pushing 40 in order for the examiner to lean over and actively check the speed. A few porky-pies I think.

I was actually using my dads car and the passenger can see the speedo. There's also the illusion called paralax which shows a different speed of the speedometer depending where you sit.
(edited 9 years ago)
I was actually using my dads car and you can see the passenger can see the speedo. There's also the illusion called paralax which shows a different speed of the speedometer depending where you sit.

What car/year is it? HAHA, mate, you're so tragic. You failed, get to terms with it. Your attitude is shocking.

Is that why speed cameras allow a 10% variance in your speed?
What car/year is it? HAHA, mate, you're so tragic. You failed, get to terms with it. Your attitude is shocking.

Jaguar X-type estate 2005. I know I failed, I'm cool with that. My point is that driving 33mph for a brief few seconds and getting done for it is a bit harsh. I'm sure you've done 33mph past a speed camera without it going off, who hasn't?
(edited 9 years ago)
Is that why speed cameras allow a 10% variance in your speed?

No, of course not. The government guidelines allow a 10% variance to account for things such as a change of road terrain or camber. A police officer with a speed gun can give you 3 points and a £60 fine for going 1 over the limit; it's at their discretion.
Jaguar X-type estate 2005. I know I failed, I'm cool with that. My point is that driving 33mph for a brief few seconds and getting done for it is a bit harsh.

It's not though. Stay 3 mph under the speed limit and you'll be fine next time, you don't need to be perfectly on it non stop. The examiners are like the police, in a 20 or 30, if you go over, you fail. If you go over by 5 on say a 60, they're A LOT more lenient and may give you a minor for speed.

Perhaps that examiner has personal reasons to be extremely strict on the speed management.
No, of course not. The government guidelines allow a 10% variance to account for things such as a change of road terrain or camber. A police officer with a speed gun can give you 3 points and a £60 fine for going 1 over the limit; it's at their discretion.

That is my point, Sir. So you're saying 30.1mph on a driving test is an instant fail? If the goverment allows a 10% speed variance, why shouldn't a goverment driving estabishment allow it?
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending