The Student Room Group

Entry level legal positions

Hi all,

A little premature, perhaps, but I am considering doing a three year evening course in LLB Law at Birkbeck in September 2016. I am currently working full-time and am thinking of continuing to do so, hence doing the evening course rather than a conventional daytime degree.

I currently work in an unrelated industry (the motor trade) earning about £40,000 per year, but would my hours are long (8 - 6 and 1 in 3 Saturdays), so a 9 - 5 would suit me better, as would working in the legal field. I know that my salary will likely halve, but anything is better than nothing when it comes to working AND studying a degree.

So my question is, what roles would I be eligible for as someone with an academic interest in law but no legal background? Evidently this would be in and around London if I were to study at Birkbeck as planned.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Are you referring to legal jobs at this stage?
Reply 2
Yes, legal jobs for the unqualified (aside from A-levels), which would be of use or interest to a Law undergraduate.

I apologise if I was unclear.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Smonnie
Yes, legal jobs for the unqualified (aside from A-levels), which would be of use or interest to a Law undergraduate.

I don't think there are a great deal of legal jobs for the unqualified. Even paralegals need some qualification as far as I'm aware, though I don't know how easy it is to get clerical positions. I will quote nulli tertius, who seems to know more.

nulli tertius
x

Do you want a legal job specifically for work experience for the CV? If so, it is worth knowing that mini pupillages, shadowing judges and worthwhile volunteering are all good bets. You won't need to have done any real legal work to get pupillage/TC.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Smonnie

You'd probably be looking at more than halving your salary, going down to around 16,000, and working as a very lowly clerk, not even paralegal grade.

What is it you currently do in the motor trade? You might actually be better off studying part-time and continuing to work in your current position. Paralegals with an LLB seeking a training contract are a dime a dozen

What you're doing now might actually be more attractive than downsizing to a paralegal position prior to jumping into an LLB
Reply 5
Original post by young_guns
You'd probably be looking at more than halving your salary, going down to around 16,000, and working as a very lowly clerk, not even paralegal grade.

What is it you currently do in the motor trade? You might actually be better off studying part-time and continuing to work in your current position. Paralegals with an LLB seeking a training contract are a dime a dozen

What you're doing now might actually be more attractive than downsizing to a paralegal position prior to jumping into an LLB

I'm a Service Team Manager, meaning that I'm a supervisor within the Service Department of a car dealership. I look after customers and consult with them on their service / repair needs, as well as leading a small team of technicians/mechanics to actually enact the repairs. Around 40% of what I earn is bonuses and commission as it is technically a sales environment.

There are couple of problems with sticking to what I'm doing. The first is that I currently live in the Midlands but am looking to move to London in about 18 months, so will need to look for a new role anyway. The second is that I work for the brand which pays easily the most for this equivalent position - if I were to move to, for example, Ford, I would probably be dropping down to more like £25,000 per year. The third, as I've mentioned, is that the hours for what I currently do (which are typical of the job role) are not conducive to evening classes / degree-level study.

I'm not too worried about salary (although I'd like to earn as much as possible, as we all would!), because anything I earn will be a bonus compared to doing a conventional degree with no work or limited, part-time, minimum wage work.

I wonder if legal recruitment (recruitment tends not to require any qualifications beyond A-levels) is worth considering. It's not actually within the legal field, but it is somewhat more related than my current industry.
Reply 6
Original post by Birkenhead
I don't think there are a great deal of legal jobs for the unqualified. Even paralegals need some qualification as far as I'm aware, though I don't know how easy it is to get clerical positions. I will quote nulli tertius, who seems to know more.

Having done a quick Reed search yesterday, it seems that PA roles are about the only option. Which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but I suspect I don't necessarily fit the profile - and I've never done PA work, either!

Original post by Birkenhead

Do you want a legal job specifically for work experience for the CV? If so, it is worth knowing that mini pupillages, shadowing judges and worthwhile volunteering are all good bets. You won't need to have done any real legal work to get pupillage/TC.

More just to gain some experience in a relevant environment - probably more for myself (my own experience and understanding of the field) than to pad out my CV. Having said that, there is little point in doing an evening-driven degree if I am not earning during the day - I would prefer then to do an accelerated course with BPP or Herts.
Original post by Smonnie
I'm a Service Team Manager, meaning that I'm a supervisor within the Service Department of a car dealership. I look after customers and consult with them on their service / repair needs, as well as leading a small team of technicians/mechanics to actually enact the repairs. Around 40% of what I earn is bonuses and commission as it is technically a sales environment.

I don't think you would get a fee earning role but something like this might be within your compass

http://www.freeths.co.uk/CareersDetail.aspx?jobid=366

I reached that by searching "jobs law firm office manager"
Reply 8
Original post by nulli tertius
I don't think you would get a fee earning role but something like this might be within your compass

http://www.freeths.co.uk/CareersDetail.aspx?jobid=366

I reached that by searching "jobs law firm office manager"

Thanks NT.

What I'm asking about it entry level 9 - 5 positions in London giving me some exposure to the legal field, whilst I study Law on a 'full time evening course' with Birkbeck. Is there any sort of role that I might be considered for?
Original post by Smonnie
Thanks NT.

What I'm asking about it entry level 9 - 5 positions in London giving me some exposure to the legal field, whilst I study Law on a 'full time evening course' with Birkbeck. Is there any sort of role that I might be considered for?

I think you are going to struggle to get any entry level fee earning role. Most direct paralegal recruitment will be of law graduates (with a high proportion of LPC graduates). That is not to say that London doesn't have a lot of paralegals who entered without those qualifications but in that case paralegal isn't an entry level position. Junior legal secretary/office junior/admin assistant are the entry level positions that result in internal progression to paralegal.
Reply 10
Original post by nulli tertius
I think you are going to struggle to get any entry level fee earning role. Most direct paralegal recruitment will be of law graduates (with a high proportion of LPC graduates). That is not to say that London doesn't have a lot of paralegals who entered without those qualifications but in that case paralegal isn't an entry level position. Junior legal secretary/office junior/admin assistant are the entry level positions that result in internal progression to paralegal.

Fair enough - presumably with my experience I would be considered for one of those very junior roles? As I said earlier, I may just pursue a trainee legal recruitment role - I had considered recruitment as a career before, prior to deciding to go back to study.
Original post by Smonnie
Fair enough - presumably with my experience I would be considered for one of those very junior roles? As I said earlier, I may just pursue a trainee legal recruitment role - I had considered recruitment as a career before, prior to deciding to go back to study.

They are going to prefer a 17/18 year old girl straight from school. You are likely to be in the over-qualified bracket for that.

Another possibility is HMCTS. The Courts Service in London always struggles to recruit once the economy picks up.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
The third one looks great! I'm not sure I'm qualified though.
Original post by J-SP
You would need relevant experience for a job of that level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but that experience does not always have to be in a legal environment and the OP appears to be in a management role. Running an office is very similar whatever the people in the office actually do.
Original post by J-SP
I would expect they would be looking for someone who had run a professional services office.

I know where we have hired managers from.
Hi

I think the court one was a good idea - it can be very difficult but I suppose not impossible to get jobs in trad legal field without experience - the usual catch 22 thing -

perhaps have a little look at jobs go public site and charity jobs site - may be something that catches your eye - also this
http://www.lawcareers.net/Jobs/18-12-2014-0-Porsche-Cars-Great-Britain-Internship-legal-department

Dont hate me - it is too late to apply for it but it might give you another way of thinking - you dont say what you do in the motor trade but is there any sideways move you can make or any contacts you can exploit?

It is a good idea you have though, so good luck with it

Original post by Smonnie
Hi all,

A little premature, perhaps, but I am considering doing a three year evening course in LLB Law at Birkbeck in September 2016. I am currently working full-time and am thinking of continuing to do so, hence doing the evening course rather than a conventional daytime degree.

I currently work in an unrelated industry (the motor trade) earning about £40,000 per year, but would my hours are long (8 - 6 and 1 in 3 Saturdays), so a 9 - 5 would suit me better, as would working in the legal field. I know that my salary will likely halve, but anything is better than nothing when it comes to working AND studying a degree.

So my question is, what roles would I be eligible for as someone with an academic interest in law but no legal background? Evidently this would be in and around London if I were to study at Birkbeck as planned.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending