The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wattsy
I went last year and it was awesome, next year I'll (hopefully) have a real job so I could be anywhere, maybe work will take me down to London and make it easy? If I lived there I'd probably forgo a holiday to get hold of a Season Pass for all of the games though some will be moving to the Olympic Stadium next year I think which is obviously just as accessible but I'm not so sure it will put the NFL spectacle on as well.

I got offered a ticket for this one but wouldn't get home until like 1am and with an 8.30 start tomorrow morning I wasn't too keen for that. Shame really.
Reply 1521
Original post by ..DT..
I got offered a ticket for this one but wouldn't get home until like 1am and with an 8.30 start tomorrow morning I wasn't too keen for that. Shame really.

I got back to York at 4:00 stayed at my house, got a 7:00 train to Newcastle, got home for 8:20, put my stuff away and made my 9:00 lecture but I have certainly felt better on Monday morning.
Is the game not on sky by the way? As if BBC 2 got coverage. Ew
Reply 1523
Original post by ..DT..
Is the game not on sky by the way? As if BBC 2 got coverage. Ew

No, not on Sky, they've always done the London games so well imo so it seems strange not to cover it although I suppose they're on until 4am anyway. Kev and Neil, as much as they enjoy the NFL wouldn't want to pull a 14 hour coverage marathon; that's not really in anybody's interest.
58 yards of pass interference penalties in two plays. Back to a one score game at Wembley.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bye bye Philbin
Reply 1526
I don't understand how the Jags aren't well clear right now. They've played so well on O and Gore had 12 first half yards. Penalties kill.

Well that was ****ing painful. How the **** do you lose to Matt Hasselbeck (though he did play better than 2015 Luck). It wasn't even on Bortles this week, the Jags get out coached in every second half they're not playing NYG.
(edited 8 years ago)
More kickers getting fired this week. Is the standard worse than last year, or does it just seem that way?
Connor Barth to the Jags. Book it.
Reply 1529
To be fair, anything outside the 45 has a chance to miss but 3 times. Pain. I have a chance in Fantasy this week at least, if I was losing that too there would be so much frustration.
FFS Bucs.
Original post by Wattsy
To be fair, anything outside the 45 has a chance to miss but 3 times. Pain. I have a chance in Fantasy this week at least, if I was losing that too there would be so much frustration.

True. It's hard for rookie kickers to adjust. There aren't really any good kickers in college football anymore -- save for the Utah and FSU guys -- I wasn't impressed at all. Then there is a whole bunch of regulation changes which makes it so much more difficult. Yet, a lot of the rookie kickers will generally struggle but do well on kick offs, and then 'get it' in year 2. Brandon McManus has been money all season.

Myers does deserve his shot, but as we saw with Josh Scobee in Pittsburgh in some of the worst kicking conditions in the league...underperforming kickers can and will be cut. The Bucs should have won last week and the Jags should have won this week.

Despite all of this, kickers have become so good, that I'm surprised when they miss 55 yarders...since anything like that is pretty routine normally.
So yeah, yesterday was pretty incredible :smile:

Another two weeks until the next Jets game though :frown:
Aaaaaaaaand...Joe Philbin is fired. How predictable.
Reply 1535
Original post by jammy4041
Aaaaaaaaand...Joe Philbin is fired. How predictable.

Yeah, Nat Coombs was talking about it at half time so the most predictable news of the week. The best time for a mid-season firing too going straight into the bye week. Gives the interim guy a little bit more time and maybe more time to get a new guy in if that's what they do. Suh is a bellend though, I'm so glad the Jags didn't sign him, particularly on that ridiculous contract.

Dan Campbell the TE Coach has been appointed the interim coach for the rest of the season in the most predictable interim promotion. I hope they do well, The Jags got a win off them so may they now go 13-3.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
Yeah, Nat Coombs was talking about it at half time so the most predictable news of the week. The best time for a mid-season firing too going straight into the bye week. Gives the interim guy a little bit more time and maybe more time to get a new guy in if that's what they do. Suh is a bellend though, I'm so glad the Jags didn't sign him, particularly on that ridiculous contract.

Dan Campbell the TE Coach has been appointed the interim coach for the rest of the season in the most predictable interim promotion. I hope they do well, The Jags got a win off them so may they now go 13-3.

Suh got a ridiculous contract, but the $28m cap hit comes next year (Is that the highest ever? Could well be?!). His $6m isn't the reason that the Dolphins have been struggling this season, although his future cap hits, screw the team over. They desperately needed o-line help, and didn't address it. Their d-line will always be terrible, as Dion Jordan has been a massive bust.

Joe Philbin, just felt like Brown Bread really. He's not a blood and guts fiery coach like Jim Harbaugh.
Reply 1537
Original post by jammy4041
Suh got a ridiculous contract, but the $28m cap hit comes next year (Is that the highest ever? Could well be?!). His $6m isn't the reason that the Dolphins have been struggling this season, although his future cap hits, screw the team over. They desperately needed o-line help, and didn't address it. Their d-line will always be terrible, as Dion Jordan has been a massive bust.

Joe Philbin, just felt like Brown Bread really. He's not a blood and guts fiery coach like Jim Harbaugh.

Basically like a bunch of other teams in the league. Is there just no O-Line talent about, most recent O-Line draftees have been pretty poor? The Cowboys would say otherwise though. I think the D-Line might be better with a scheme change to what the players actually want to run. I've never understood rigid coaching like that; find the best way to utilise the tools you have rather than putting square pegs in round holes out of stubbornness. The coach is in a better position to educate himself on 1-gap than the players are to learn 2-gap; he's supposed to be the football brains, D-Linemen generally just try and beat the guy in front of them, hit the RB or the QB, it's not a crazy technical job.

Apparently Campbell is a bit of a firebrand and the Dolphins certainly need a kick up the arse, however as you can see with Houston via Hard Knocks you need more than that. The Dolphins have the skill position personnel though where the Texans just don't.
Original post by Wattsy
Basically like a bunch of other teams in the league. Is there just no O-Line talent about, most recent O-Line draftees have been pretty poor? The Cowboys would say otherwise though. I think the D-Line might be better with a scheme change to what the players actually want to run. I've never understood rigid coaching like that; find the best way to utilise the tools you have rather than putting square pegs in round holes out of stubbornness. The coach is in a better position to educate himself on 1-gap than the players are to learn 2-gap; he's supposed to be the football brains, D-Linemen generally just try and beat the guy in front of them, hit the RB or the QB, it's not a crazy technical job.

Apparently Campbell is a bit of a firebrand and the Dolphins certainly need a kick up the arse, however as you can see with Houston via Hard Knocks you need more than that. The Dolphins have the skill position personnel though where the Texans just don't.

A one gap scheme certainly frees up players one the line to play more instinctively. Look no further than Atlanta -- Quinn's one-gap scheme has helped turned it around (though Vic Beasley helps.) In Denver, Slyvester Williams has turned around his play in Wade-Phillips' one gap scheme too. When Jack Del Rio was DC, he was asked to two-gap and clog runs, even though he was never a good fit for it.

With o-line picks, they take time to develop. Jake Matthews is the prime example, who just seems to have 'got it' in his second season. (That, and injuries his rookie year didn't help.) I really can't explain Luke Joeckel or Eric Fisher...but for Luke, I'm guessing the injuries didn't help his development.

The Dolphins most certainly have the talent -- but Philbin just didn't have any passion. The 'sameness of emotion' from him, gave the impression that he didn't really care.

Houston are a mess right now. I know hindsight is 20-20, but ultimately, they needed to have selected Bridgewater at #1, when they had the chance -- which would have solidified the most important position in football, and given a jolt to their offense. Now, you can make a case that they need help in most postions except for RDE, K and LWR! The linebackers and secondary are letting down that much vaunted defense, while they need a better replacement for Arian Foster than Blue. Cushing just hasn't been the same force since 2012.

Considering the way the draft panned out, the fact that Bridgewater went #32, and that the Texans only needed to move up one place (!!), surely must sting for them. Clowney who? Henceforth, and until they are better, the Houston Texans will now be known as the Houston JJ Watts. (Although, yes, Hopkins has been playing great over the past few seasons)
Reply 1539
And as we were slating Kevin Coyle for his rigidity he's getting fired according to Albert Breer. Dolphins might be functional again which would be great.

Quick Reply

Latest