The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Welcome to the new American Football talk thread. Here we talk college football, NFL and British Universities American Football League (BUAFL).

We like to think we're a knowledgeable bunch on the sport so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask them. Here's some rookie guides to game to get you started:

http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/american_football/3192002.stm BBC Sport

http://http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/beginnersguidetofootball NFL

Just watch a few games though, you can pick most of it up as you go along.

American Football is constantly growing on UK television so here is the where to watch guide: Welcome to the Regular Season! There are loads of ways to watch America's Game.

NFL GamePass - GamePass is a seasonal subscription service which costs £120. It allows you to watch this season live, last season and many more historic games as well as the combine and draft. You also get NFL Network's 24 hour stream of NFL News and other programming. It will automatically renew at the end of the subscription period for the new season at £120 though so do be careful.

BBC2- Covering International Series games the first of which is the Bills v Dolphins.

Sky Sports - Thursday, Sunday and Monday games are all available on Sky Sports with RedZone on Sky Sports 4 or RedButton. They will cover a game of their choice in each kickoff time slot, if it's not what you fancy then switch to RedZone or utilise the powers of the Internet :wink:

There are 32 Teams in the NFL split into 8 divisions and 2 conferences, not many of us have geographic connections to the teams we support so it just came down to picking one because we liked them. Here are the teams and a list of people here who support them.

Teams and their supporters:

Spoiler

Posting Counts for the last thread:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh I'm a Tampa fan, thanks for reminding me.... :ashamed2:
At least you guys have a cool uniform, got that going for you :wink:

Steve smith was crying after the game. Hopefully he froze those tears.Ice up son. :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Jammy is a broncos fan,

if I remember correctly cantthinkofaname (some underscores in there :colondollar: ) is a Seahawks fan?
Cowboys fan checking in.

No real reason. Went to their game. Bought stuff.

Love Friday night lights and Texas which helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Have you seen Harbaugh talking about Patriots formations with ineligible recievers? Not really accessible page 1 sort of talk but I really don't understand his complaint. Normally I'm happy to complain about Belichick but I just can't find the cause with this one.

http://http://nypost.com/2015/01/11/illegal-deceptive-belichick-plays-enrage-john-harbaugh/

Here's an article talking about it.

Edit:

I know you were talking about a big multi-quote directing people to the new thread. I've realised I don't know how to do one so can you do it please?
(edited 9 years ago)
I was bricking it when Belichick decided to take knees rather than run plays to take off the extra 15 seconds at the end last night. I know there's a small chance of a fumble, but I'd rather that than the Hail Mary! What a game though.

Also, is the rule on jumping on kicks that you can do it if you don't touch the offensive line? I was hoping one of the linemen would stand up at just the right point and cut Chancellor in half.
I truly believe Football, whether it be the college game or the NFL, is the best sport in the world. I really do. And, I want to share my knowledge and experiences with other people. This thread is the place to be, to discuss pretty much anything Football related.

And yes, I am a Denver Broncos fan. As much as I love NFL, don't get me wrong, I've been to Sports Authority field to see my Broncos and all...I also love College football. My favorite College team, is my current university. The Idaho State University Bengals of the FCS (D1-AA), famous for Marvin Lewis (member of the 1981 National Championship team, a former linebacker, and current coach of the Cincinnati Bengals) and Jared Allen, of the Chicago Bears. In the BCS, I look for the Boise State Broncos to do well, since Elliot Hoyte, an English defensive tackle is playing for them. He played university football, and progressed all the way through to GB Lions, at a relatively young age.

I've created a few guides...as a cheat sheet for American football. Please give them a read, and see what you think. :smile:

One is more friendly, with pictures and stuff, in a nice and shiny pdf format. I've created a few guides...as a cheat sheet for American football. The other is plain and depressing text document, which goes into a bit more detail about the x's and o's with player roles and stuff.
(edited 9 years ago)
So Cowboys or GB?
Original post by Stalin
So Cowboys or GB?

I know it defies logic. I don't quite believe it myself...but I'll say Cowboys by a score.

It's going to come down whether Green Bay can establish their run game, against the Cowboys' under-rated front-seven against the run. If I'm a packer's fan...I'm worried that they can't stop the Cowboys' run game. The passing game would obviously favor the Packers against the weak secondary of Dallas...but they have the definition of bend-but-don't break defense. I'd expect them to give up a lot of yards between the twenties, but in the red-zone to stiffen up. The Cowboys have an elite receiving corps, an elite QB, an elite o-line as well as an elite RB. Their offense stacks up well against the Packers' defense, despite their excellent secondary.

It's going to be close.
Original post by jammy4041
I know it defies logic. I don't quite believe it myself...but I'll say Cowboys by a score.

It's going to come down whether Green Bay can establish their run game, against the Cowboys' under-rated front-seven against the run. If I'm a packer's fan...I'm worried that they can't stop the Cowboys' run game. The passing game would obviously favor the Packers against the weak secondary of Dallas...but they have the definition of bend-but-don't break defense. I'd expect them to give up a lot of yards between the twenties, but in the red-zone to stiffen up. The Cowboys have an elite receiving corps, an elite QB, an elite o-line as well as an elite RB. Their offense stacks up well against the Packers' defense, despite their excellent secondary.

It's going to be close.

I'm going Cowboys too, but it's nothing more than intuition. And, in all honesty, it's about time a team as big as the Cowboys did something since '95.

What are your thoughts on Rodgers? Apparently he's playing but isn't 100% fit.
I still cannot believe the Steelers have basically forced out Dick LeBeau. Yes, his system is hideously complicated for rookies to learn, and yes, they have been on the decline, but look at the players he's got to work with. When William Gay is basically your no.1 corner by default, and Cortez Allen is also playing corner, (:eek::eek::eek:), because Ike Taylor is old and injured, then, of course the Steelers are going to get burnt through the air. I like Troy Polamalu, but he's old and past it. Mike Mitchell is just...terrible...like a burnt and moldy Tesco value crisp crumb compared to a burnt and moldy McCoy. The secondary is an absolute mess. They have no pass rush, and their D-line is heavily reliant on James Harrison. The GM has focused on offense, while neglecting the talent on the defense. LeBeau's system isn't exactly rookie-friendly, but it requires smarts as well as physical talents. Another AFC-north win, cannot hide these major issues on defense.

I mean...who are they going to get, to replace one of the best defensive minds ever?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000456087/article/dick-lebeau-resigns-from-pittsburgh-steelers
Original post by Stalin
I'm going Cowboys too, but it's nothing more than intuition. And, in all honesty, it's about time a team as big as the Cowboys did something since '95.

What are your thoughts on Rodgers? Apparently he's playing but isn't 100% fit.

Rodgers will be absolutely fine. The Packers have a fairly good pass-blocking o-line, so they'll protect him. If an o-line knows that their QB isn't exactly 100%, they'll step up and give 110% to protect him.

I just don't believe the Packers will stop the Cowboys' run game. That's GB's most pressing issue, not the health of Rodgers. I'd expect the Cowboys to play a ball control offense, relying on the run. But, expect a fair bit of read-option, because, if Romo sees Witten or Dez in man-coverage, he's going to get the ball to him every time. That's what a run game will do. If the Cowboys can get around 37-40minutes of time-of-possesion, while of course, limiting turnovers, then GB will have to throw every time they have the football. The Cowboys have a good run defense, so I'd worry about GB's ability to get their running game working.
So Rex is going to the Bills. With that defense, that could be a sight to see...although it almost seems like it's going to be deja vu for him. A team with a good defense, but little on offense.

A bit annoyed he's not out of the division though. His Jets always played the Pats hard.
I really hope he gets Trestman like he wanted. The Bills will be a team to watch if he does.
Reply 15
Original post by Stalin
So Cowboys or GB?

Cowboys by 3 after yet another bizarre officiating decision.
Officiating has been poor and will continue to be.

Supposedly Seahawks are gonna make wilson the highest paid qb in the league. If you ask me that's a really bad move.

Thoughts?
Reply 17
Original post by Malevolent
Officiating has been poor and will continue to be.

Supposedly Seahawks are gonna make wilson the highest paid qb in the league. If you ask me that's a really bad move.

Thoughts?

If he wins back to back rings there will be grounds for it, but personally I think they'll end up having to lose some big names because of it and hence not worth it.
It's not really news TBH, with the cap spiralling up every franchise QB that gets a deal from now until forever will be the highest paid in the league in that moment. Wilson is definitely a franchise QB. If they let him get "overpaid" by the Bills or someone else, who would they find to immediately keep them in contention?

The Bears are one of the only teams that has really suffered from making this move, and that's because of poor play and a coach who lost control of the team, not because the cap hit stopped them adding the right players. The Seahawks are even less likely to suffer from it because their front office is absolutely ruthless at getting rid of players who aren't earning their money.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Malevolent
At least you guys have a cool uniform, got that going for you :wink:

Steve smith was crying after the game. Hopefully he froze those tears.Ice up son. :lol:

Revis did pick a weird game to talk **** though. Man...if he's supposedly the best corner, he should act like it and keep his mouth shut. Another cornerback should as well.

Original post by shunter7634
So Rex is going to the Bills. With that defense, that could be a sight to see...although it almost seems like it's going to be deja vu for him. A team with a good defense, but little on offense.

A bit annoyed he's not out of the division though. His Jets always played the Pats hard.

I saw. Atlanta should have locked him in the bowels of the Georgia Dome until he signed with them. Matt Ryan. Julio Jones. Jake Matthews. A team which is building a 3-4 defense, but one which needs work. Trestman is now the wildcard, and most in-demand offensive coordinator. Looks like it's going to be Tampa Bay or Buffalo.

Quick Reply

Latest