The Student Room Group

Durham foundation year medicine 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

No. I asked for John Snow and got Stephenson.
Reply 181
I did. Are you living out or at the college? I applied for Mezzino. It seems a better deal for the same price.
I've applied to live out.

I visited last year and saw the accommodation which was nice. However, at 35 years old, I have concerns about being placed to live with party animals (and those days are long gone). I much prefer a good cup of tea and (if I can afford it as a student) a nice meal out! :smile:
Reply 183
Original post by Dadex
I did. Are you living out or at the college? I applied for Mezzino. It seems a better deal for the same price.

If i get in I will be living at the college yeah seems easier and all I guess- I was looking at Mezzino too doesn't look to bad either and very close to lectures
Mezzino is the furthest from the uni and people who live there say they don't feel like they belong to their college. And seeing as Durham forgets about Queen's,it's nice to have that extra support.

Stephenson has a mature flat in Bellamy Block on the second floor. It's where I currently live. In my half of the flat,there are 7 rooms. In the other half,there are 3 large rooms, one for the president, one for the treasurer and one for visiting academics. It's been very quiet and I recommend it.

This year however, I've bought a house on a newbuild estate in Stockton. Which is only 20 minutes walk to uni. For people who want to live out, many get places in Trinity Mews. It's actually even closer than Snow and £400ish per month for a 1 bed.
Reply 185
Hello All,

my name is Mac and I studying Medicine with foundation starting this October. Im a mature student 38 and wondering if anyone is looking to share house or has any contacts who do.

Mac
Original post by Mac496
Hello All,

my name is Mac and I studying Medicine with foundation starting this October. Im a mature student 38 and wondering if anyone is looking to share house or has any contacts who do.

Mac

Good luck Mac I'm 29 hoping to get into Durham foundation how did you get in did u academically meet the grades etc or have more life experience
Reply 187
Original post by MedicineMaybe
Good luck Mac I'm 29 hoping to get into Durham foundation how did you get in did u academically meet the grades etc or have more life experience

Hello MM,

I have a background in the Army 14 years and working for sustainable development charity out in Borneo for the last 6. I just missed out last year on the UKCAT score but have passed this year.

What stage are you at?
Original post by Mac496
Hello MM,

I have a background in the Army 14 years and working for sustainable development charity out in Borneo for the last 6. I just missed out last year on the UKCAT score but have passed this year.

What stage are you at?

Wow you defo deserve it . I'm taking my UKCAT August 15th and hopefully need to get some experience in a hospital which doing at the moment on a voluntary basis to help my UCAS form too. How did u find UKCAT and is it Durham your off to ?
Reply 189
Original post by MedicineMaybe
Wow you defo deserve it . I'm taking my UKCAT August 15th and hopefully need to get some experience in a hospital which doing at the moment on a voluntary basis to help my UCAS form too. How did u find UKCAT and is it Durham your off to ?

UKCAT seems absurd at first and you question if its fair. I did a Pearson course and paid for some extra online questions that matched the actual test. Which helped me a lot. The biggest tip I would say is don't do the full mock tests until you are ready to do it like the actual test. Don't waste them.

Yes off to Durham starting October can't wait.
Hi Mac496. Did you sit the UKCAT recently or did you use your score from last year?
Reply 191
Hello Luvangel,

I used my score from last year I just missed out so I was well over what was wanted.
Reply 192
hey guys,
how is UKCAT going
what dates are people thinking of taking the exam? I'm most likely going to do mine on the first week of August
Thanks Mac496. Well done with your score.
Hi, im going to apply for this for 2016, if i study biology, maths and physics will i be accepted?
@liverpool2044 Hello I don't think you can apply if you have just finished A levels from a school you would have to apply directly to medicine this course is designed for certain people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by A1student
@liverpool2044 Hello I don't think you can apply if you have just finished A levels from a school you would have to apply directly to medicine this course is designed for certain people.

What sort of people are allowed to apply?
Do we need to meet a certain criteria?
I was thinking of this for 2016 help, advice anyone

Thanks
Reply 197
Just did my UKCAT and got over the cutoff mark. Happy days. How's everyone doing?
Reply 198
Original post by Dadex
Just did my UKCAT and got over the cutoff mark. Happy days. How's everyone doing?

congrats! what did you get if you don't mind me asking? did you find the exam easier or harder than last year? I have mine in 12 days.. nervous times ahead
Reply 199
Original post by mobo250
congrats! what did you get if you don't mind me asking? did you find the exam easier or harder than last year? I have mine in 12 days.. nervous times ahead

I didn't do it last year, I did it the year before. I got 2790 overall, whereas I got 3050 before. I found AR and DA harder than I did the last time, but I kicked QR's ass (got 800). Overall though, it seemed easier, maybe because I already have previous experience.

Good luck! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending