The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Although your ideal work referee has backed out, is there nobody else at your workplace who could write you a reference? It could just be the type of reference which says you're a decent honest person, who works hard, does a good job and turns up on time every day. Those things still matter to a uni. Your referee doesn't have to be your manager or someone senior. It could be a member of your team who's known you for ages.

One way or another you have to sort the issue out unless you intend to stay in the same job for the rest of your life. Whatever you do next will need a reference from someone at your current employer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Klix88
Although your ideal work referee has backed out, is there nobody else at your workplace who could write you a reference? It could just be the type of reference which says you're a decent honest person, who works hard, does a good job and turns up on time every day. Those things still matter to a uni. Your referee doesn't have to be your manager or someone senior. It could be a member of your team who's known you for ages.

One way or another you have to sort the issue out unless you intend to stay in the same job for the rest of your life. Whatever you do next will need a reference from someone at your current employer.

If I were to ask a colleague surely that would be classed as a friend therefore my application would be cancelled as said by ucas? Working for a huge company means the only reference I can get for a job is from the personnel department who know nothing but my name and my attendance rate. For a job reference that's ok but for a uni reference it isn't. Even more ridiculous is the fact they don't have access to the Internet at work so they can't even do the ucas thing. I hate my job, the thought of being their for the rest of my life kills me but I've exhausted very option and I feel so lost now!
Original post by jmarieb
If I were to ask a colleague surely that would be classed as a friend therefore my application would be cancelled as said by ucas? Working for a huge company means the only reference I can get for a job is from the personnel department who know nothing but my name and my attendance rate. For a job reference that's ok but for a uni reference it isn't. Even more ridiculous is the fact they don't have access to the Internet at work so they can't even do the ucas thing. I hate my job, the thought of being their for the rest of my life kills me but I've exhausted very option and I feel so lost now!

I just read through the thread and you mentioned that the uni said you could even use a personal reference that being a friend? Unless I've read wrong..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jmarieb
Update: Turns out they won't accept me without a reference. Looks like someone isn't going to uni after all.

Hi honey, that s terrible news that your reference bailed on you. I have been trawling this site for ages and have read many different threads, I am 100% sure that I saw on a BA Nursing thread that a Family friend can write a reference for you. Even if it is not 100% acceptable for your course, at least the admissions teams will look at your application and judge it from that rather than seeing that there is no reference attached and discarding it. You have a couple days before deadline, I only sent mine in on Friday and the Uni's have them already. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.:smile:
Reply 24
Original post by pollyabu
Hi honey, that s terrible news that your reference bailed on you. I have been trawling this site for ages and have read many different threads, I am 100% sure that I saw on a BA Nursing thread that a Family friend can write a reference for you. Even if it is not 100% acceptable for your course, at least the admissions teams will look at your application and judge it from that rather than seeing that there is no reference attached and discarding it. You have a couple days before deadline, I only sent mine in on Friday and the Uni's have them already. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.:smile:

Well hopefully cause somebody who was a family friend and was on the board of governors at my primary school (just after I left) but was always involved with the school, she is now a teacher and has sort-of offered I'm just waiting for a response now. I suppose putting anybody has got to be better than not sending an application in at all cause at least I know I've tried then. At the minute it just felt like everything was going against me you know lol
Reply 25
Original post by jmarieb
Working for a huge company ... they don't have access to the Internet at work so they can't even do the ucas thing.

That is absolute BS. They've completely strung you a line. In this day and age, any sized company will have internet access. I suppose you at least have the satisfaction of knowing they want you to stay if they're that desperate to avoid you leaving :/

Good luck with your alternative.
Original post by Klix88
That is absolute BS. They've completely strung you a line. In this day and age, any sized company will have internet access. I suppose you at least have the satisfaction of knowing they want you to stay if they're that desperate to avoid you leaving :/

Good luck with your alternative.

Good grief, yes. Maybe they use carrier pigeons. What tosh.
Reply 27
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Good grief, yes. Maybe they use carrier pigeons. What tosh.

Lol, I know it sounds stupid but I know they actually don't have internet access, I have access to computers myself and you can only get on work systems but no internet at all. The computers don't even have any form of internet program such as explorer. They will at the head office but they will only know me as my log in number, stores have no access. They did offer to do one until they realised they had to do it online.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jmarieb
Lol, I know it sounds stupid but I know they actually don't have internet access, I have access to computers myself and you can only get on work systems but no internet at all. The computers don't even have any form of internet program such as explorer. They will at the head office but they will only know me as my log in number, stores have no access. They did offer to do one until they realised they had to do it online.

I am struggling to imagine what kind of antiquated business they are in. Quill pen manufacturers, maybe?
Reply 29
I am struggling to imagine what kind of antiquated business they are in. Quill pen manufacturers, maybe?

You wouldn't believe it's a supermarket. No internet access because everyone hates their job and would spend their shift on facebook instead of word.
Original post by jmarieb
You wouldn't believe it's a supermarket. No internet access because everyone hates their job and would spend their shift on facebook instead of word.

They do all their stock ordering by mail? Well, now I've heard it all. Anyway, to return to your problem, I think the task is to get anyone at all to do your reference, since at least then you can submit an application of sorts this year, and you may be lucky that the course isn't particularly bothered about references. You have nothing to lose by asking a family friend at this stage if it's that or nothing. I think it is utterly shocking of your original referee to drop you in it at this late stage and hope their antiquated business withers away in the face of 21st century technology as a punishment.
Original post by jmarieb
Well hopefully cause somebody who was a family friend and was on the board of governors at my primary school (just after I left) but was always involved with the school, she is now a teacher and has sort-of offered I'm just waiting for a response now. I suppose putting anybody has got to be better than not sending an application in at all cause at least I know I've tried then. At the minute it just felt like everything was going against me you know lol

See, it's looking better already :smile: Do you mind me asking, what are you hoping to study? Or do you not want to jinx it?
Reply 32
They do all their stock ordering by mail? Well, now I've heard it all. Anyway, to return to your problem, I think the task is to get anyone at all to do your reference, since at least then you can submit an application of sorts this year, and you may be lucky that the course isn't particularly bothered about references. You have nothing to lose by asking a family friend at this stage if it's that or nothing. I think it is utterly shocking of your original referee to drop you in it at this late stage and hope their antiquated business withers away in the face of 21st century technology as a punishment.

Haha, that made me laugh! Thanks ever so much :smile:
Reply 33
See, it's looking better already :smile: Do you mind me asking, what are you hoping to study? Or do you not want to jinx it?

Yes I've just asked her so waiting for her reply fingers crossed! :smile: I'm hoping to do Marketing, Advertising and Public Relations at BCU or just Public Relations at a few other choices. I didn't think the reference would be so important considering it's not a course such as nursing or something but the admissions tutor for the course said it is.
Original post by jmarieb
Yes I've just asked her so waiting for her reply fingers crossed! :smile: I'm hoping to do Marketing, Advertising and Public Relations at BCU or just Public Relations at a few other choices. I didn't think the reference would be so important considering it's not a course such as nursing or something but the admissions tutor for the course said it is.

Aww best of luck honey :smile: I thought you were going for Nursing like me because of the stringent need of the reference. My first degree is in Business Management and EVERYBODY loved the three marketing modules. You will have a great time. Positive vibes to you :smile:
Reply 35
Aww best of luck honey :smile: I thought you were going for Nursing like me because of the stringent need of the reference. My first degree is in Business Management and EVERYBODY loved the three marketing modules. You will have a great time. Positive vibes to you :smile:

Thanks very much :smile: a few of my friends do nursing and they love it! I'm really looking forward to the course so hopefully I get in :smile: I have all my qualifications already so just a case of whether they like me or not. Same to you! :smile:
Hope it works out - I can't believe someone would let you down so near to the deadline.

Is there no-one at school that would know you? They'd still have your records and your reports ...
Reply 37

When I worked for a supermarket we didn't have internet access. Yes, stock was ordered over the internet, but that did not mean anyone - even the manager - could actually access internet things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe you could ask a senior colleague? I don't know if that will work but just a suggestion. Or maybe ask your previous referee once again and ask them why they can't do it now. Tell them that they can't just commit to something and then back out last minute. I kinda did the same, my teacher said she wouldn't give me one because I talk in class? -___- but then I asked a month later and told her how important it was. I know it's totally unrelated but that's just my experience. You could also just email the Universities and tell them what a complete bitch your referee turned out to be (paraphrase it of course). I really hope all goes well and it all works out. :smile: Good luck!
Wow I feel really sorry for you ...best of luck to you !:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending