The Student Room Group

Do I have an eating disorder????

Hi everyone, I don't intend for this post to be insensitive or to cause any arguments, but recently I've been to the doctors and I've been told that I am 8 KILOS underweight.

I'm 18 years old, 159 cm and 50 kg [female]. I've gone through quite an emotional period over the past few months and this has caused me to not eat as much as I should.

Since then I just can't bring myself to eat/finish meals such as lunch or eat when I'm hungry and now everyone in my family is concerned for my weight whilst I keep trying to convince myself I am fine. It also doesn't really help that I'm surrounded by skinny, pretty girls at college :frown:

So basically what I'm trying to say is, I'm scared of gaining weight and I don't know what to do about it (sometimes even when I'm having down days I question if I even want to do anything about it)

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone, I don't intend for this post to be insensitive or to cause any arguments, but recently I've been to the doctors and I've been told that I am 8 KILOS underweight.

I'm 18 years old, 159 cm and 50 kg [female]. I've gone through quite an emotional period over the past few months and this has caused me to not eat as much as I should.

Since then I just can't bring myself to eat/finish meals such as lunch or eat when I'm hungry and now everyone in my family is concerned for my weight whilst I keep trying to convince myself I am fine. It also doesn't really help that I'm surrounded by skinny, pretty girls at college :frown:

So basically what I'm trying to say is, I'm scared of gaining weight and I don't know what to do about it (sometimes even when I'm having down days I question if I even want to do anything about it)

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance :smile:

Yes you do, however it's important and positive you've recognised that you could have one, my suggestion would be to tell your family first and then seek professional help if they cant properly help
Reply 2
You are not underweight, your weight is perfectly healthy! And definitely not by 8 kilos, you're doctor must be insane. You could weight 47kg with your height and still be at healthy weight - however, below 47kg would be underweight.
Nevertheless, people don't have to be deadly skinny to have issues with eating/eating disorder. If that's you then therapy would probably be best.
Your BMI is actually around 20.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest