The Student Room Group

Should I take English?

Hi,
So I am struggling with choosing what to study at university - and it has been an ongoing thing for ages. I know a lot of the time people say that you need to work out what you want to do after university, and what you enjoy most - but I enjoy lots of things and want to have loads of different jobs (except office jobs!). I dont know whether I want to go into geography/meteorology, English/journalism, or media production and art. I have no idea!
Can anyone tell me what is great/not so great about English, and any personal experiences you may have had to help me make a decision? Thank you :smile:
Original post by amybonnie98
Hi,
So I am struggling with choosing what to study at university - and it has been an ongoing thing for ages. I know a lot of the time people say that you need to work out what you want to do after university, and what you enjoy most - but I enjoy lots of things and want to have loads of different jobs (except office jobs!). I dont know whether I want to go into geography/meteorology, English/journalism, or media production and art. I have no idea!
Can anyone tell me what is great/not so great about English, and any personal experiences you may have had to help me make a decision? Thank you :smile:

Hi, I applied to study English literature at a university last year and (it didn't work out because of accommodation so i'm re-applying this year!) it was a really good course which covered such a broad length of topics and subjects. Which, to me, is really important so you can go out into the world afterwards and pretty much put your hand to anything. :smile:

To me, this is why degrees like English/media/linguistics are more valuable than specific subjects like geography (as you said) because you can do most jobs without trying to find something subject specific.

And... not to put you off but I have been to a few job interviews and I have spoken to a few people who have gotten their geography degrees and they have really struggled to find work afterwards or they've had to wait a year+ for things like internships. (Sorry if I'm putting you off a little!)

But, you could always do a joint honours degree with something like geography and English/media or English and art. You could look into it a bit more and phone potential universities if you're still unsure.

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by amybonnie98
Hi,

What A Levels are you taking? :smile:
I wanted to do journalism, good places are manchester (near to the BBC) and Liverpool and Sheffield too!!! They have amazing courses and all good connections

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ignitus7
What A Levels are you taking? :smile:

English Lit, Art, Geography and Biology - I'm dropping Biology next year thoguh :3
Reply 5
I did Art, History and Eng Lit at A Level and I also didn't know what to take :redface:
In the end I just chose English Literature because that was my highest A Level grade…
I'm a first year English Lit student and my course is really good because I can pick unrestricted modules from other subjects :smile: so next semester I'm doing a History module :smile: the good thing about humanities is that they're really interchangeable and studying Literature is really good because it covers such a broad range of things like History, Philosophy, Psychology, Language, Sociology etc.! :smile:
Maybe have a look on Uni websites at courses available and what modules they cover to see what interests you?
If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them for you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending