The Student Room Group

School

Please forgive me if I posted in the wrong forum or I have asked a question that was already asked by another person. But I really need an answer to this question.

Q: Does the University care if I came from a not so good high school but graduated with very high marks? My mother says that I have to work extra hard so that it would be comparable to those who are in better schools. Please help! -Cas
Moved to Applications and UCAS :h:
They don't care at all. If your sixth form is in the bottom 40% of sixth forms in the UK some universities will actually give you a lower offer.

It's all about the grades.
Original post by Castiel.
Please forgive me if I posted in the wrong forum or I have asked a question that was already asked by another person. But I really need an answer to this question.

Q: Does the University care if I came from a not so good high school but graduated with very high marks? My mother says that I have to work extra hard so that it would be comparable to those who are in better schools. Please help! -Cas

As loperdoper says, pupils from poorer schools are at an advantage. Universities take it into account when making what they call 'contextual offers' and often make them lower offers.
Reply 4
Thank you for answering my question! :biggrin: -Cas
Thank you for answering my question! :biggrin: -Cas

Worth pointing out the above is only true for applicants from UK schools (and some unis don't take it into account)
Reply 6
...Oh man. I'm attending an international school from a rural place in the Philippines! :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Worth pointing out the above is only true for applicants from UK schools (and some unis don't take it into account)

Q: But do I still have a chance to get accepted into a UK uni if I manage to graduate with a good GPA and a good IB points?
Q: But do I still have a chance to get accepted into a UK uni if I manage to graduate with a good GPA and a good IB points?

Absolutely. Most unis will have the IB points they ask for on their websites. And if you're a bit below but at a poor school then you can always ask your reference to mention that. It might be taken into account.
Reply 9
Oh my god. I do have a chance. :biggrin: Thank you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending