The Student Room Group

Portuguese degree - European or Brazilian?

Just wondering, do students doing Portuguese as part or all of their degree study Brazilian Portuguese or European Portuguese?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by yabbayabba
Just wondering, do students doing Portuguese as part or all of their degree study Brazilian Portuguese or European Portuguese?

Thanks

That could vary from university to university, so you would be as well to check with any that you might be interested in attending. It may depend on whether their Portuguese teaching staff are Portuguese or Brazilian. I personally know of two universities where the lecturers are Brazilian.

The two versions of the language are quite different, much more so than the difference between UK and American English. Pronunciation in particular is hugely different from one version to the other and there are lots of differences in vocabulary too.
Original post by yabbayabba

Thanks

As the reply above says, it probably does vary uni to uni.
I would imagine that there's a stronger bias towards European Portuguese however.

I know at Newcastle for example, one lecturer is Portuguese, the other is Brazilian and students are taught European Portuguese and use a European textbook. However they do get exposed to extra materials (listening etc.) in both types, and obviously the Brazilian teacher speakers with a Rio accent, although she can pronounce things more "European" when teaching.
Additionally, on the Year Abroad, students can travel to either Portuguese or Brazil, so I believe they are quite flexible in final year when it comes to assessment. Ie. if you spend 6 months in Brazil and do your final year speaker exam with a Brazilian accent, then you won't get marked down.

The Spanish department works in a similar way as they have lecturers from all over and many students go to South America on their YA. So yeh, officially they teach European Spanish, in practice you can learn/use other types.

I don't know if that's standard practice and if others universities are stricter. Newcastle offers a Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies degree, so it would seem a bit silly if they then penalised students for going to LA and speaking Brazilian Portuguese or Colombian Spanish :tongue:
I think a few universities give you the choice. In which case, Portuguese Brazilian is a LOT more worthwhile in my opinion, plus it sounds nicer.

Some unis mix them together since you're essentially learning Portuguese.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending