The Student Room Group

Cambridge Re-applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hey all,

Just after some friendly advice;

1) I got rejected pre-interview due to a low UMS average, I suspect, is there any point in asking for feed back and is it still possible to do so?

2) Is the UMS score worked out based on the total AS and A2 scores, or just the last round of results (just A2)?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by honeywell17
Hey all,

Just after some friendly advice;

1) I got rejected pre-interview due to a low UMS average, I suspect, is there any point in asking for feed back and is it still possible to do so?

2) Is the UMS score worked out based on the total AS and A2 scores, or just the last round of results (just A2)?

Thank you :smile:

Yes you can request feedback.

UMS is calculated across both AS and A2 combined. Best 3 subjects for humanities, most relevant 3 for sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Yes you can request feedback.

UMS is calculated across both AS and A2 combined. Best 3 subjects for humanities, most relevant 3 for sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know if UMS is looked at differently for people who have finished their A Levels? Like is 95% at A2 better than 95% at AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by Rainybird
Do you know if UMS is looked at differently for people who have finished their A Levels? Like is 95% at A2 better than 95% at AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes they do take that into account, although not for ranking averages purposes...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are they comfortable with resitting exams? I think I just messed my economics up :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rovensie
Are they comfortable with resitting exams? I think I just messed my economics up :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that they're fine with one, but any more than that without Extenuating Circumstances could jeopardise your application. Hopefully you did well! I was crying when I came out of my History exam last year but ended up getting an A, so your worries may be unjustified :smile:
Original post by TurtleberrySoup
I know that they're fine with one, but any more than that without Extenuating Circumstances could jeopardise your application. Hopefully you did well! I was crying when I came out of my History exam last year but ended up getting an A, so your worries may be unjustified :smile:

Oops just one?

Dammit... I would like to save that to future exams :/

Well I may take some other subjects to cover up economics so it's no longer calculated in average ums across best 3 hmmm

Anyway... I didn't finish the questions but I think I managed to grab some points in the last minute. Hopefully won't be too bad :smile: miracles may happen when they change raw mark into ums, I was crying for physics unit 1 and end up getting full marks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It may be helpful for those of you thinking of applying to realise that "to be competitive" it is usually recommended you need to have achieved A*A*A for Arts subjects and A*A*A* or better for Sciences/Economics.

Pooling used to occur only at A*A*A* (there are similar scores for Scottish & IB results).
All your UMS will count A2 & AS but your first sitting of AS will be used for ranking, not any resits after the first year of study.
Your best three subjects will be used for Arts, Best three for Sciences & maths for NatSci. Maths & FM count as one subject for a three UMS ranking but Maths/Physics is used for Engineering/Maths as an average of all module %. For Economics the Maths & FM is really important.

A UMS average of 92%+ for less competitive subjects up to 96%+ for the most competitive is the right sort of target.

It is not true that Gap years are unpopular with Cambridge or other universities. The success rate for Gap year students is almost the same as for A2 year students. There are obviously a mixture of reasons for applying-usually better results than predicted or unexpected rejection first time.
Maths is the least happy with re-applicants-you have to show you are keeping your maths up. Medicine in my experience was very common and a year spent working in a care home, in a charity or gaining more work experience was favourably looked upon. It is easier to get in as a Gap year student post-qual than it is to achieve a deferred offer in the first place.
Oh wow...

Kind of hopeless now :/

Better keep other things up now, as a level results are no longer in my favour heehee

But anyway... I didn't really get in even with a competitive ums so I'll just work hard on extra curriculum things and see if that helps :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh wow...

Better keep other things up now, as a level results are no longer in my favour heehee

But anyway... I didn't really get in even with a competitive ums so I'll just work hard on extra curriculum things and see if that helps :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apply to Oxford :smile:
Oh wow...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mate you are just a bit too young for this year's entry :wink:

I'm rooting for you :love:
Reply 71
Hi,

I was rejected after interview for physical natural sciences at Emmanuel. I dont know if I should reapply. Cambridge has always been my dream but my parents told me they are glad I got rejected as they dont think I would cope with the intensity of the course.

I havent lost all hope though. Last year a physnatsci applicant was rejected from my sixth form. He achieved A*AAA at A2 and was then offered a place at Cambridge on results day. He did reject them but my point is, there are rare cases where you can prove yourself and still get in :smile:

Good luck with the future

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Original post by Bethamus
Hi,

I was rejected after interview for physical natural sciences at Emmanuel. I dont know if I should reapply. Cambridge has always been my dream but my parents told me they are glad I got rejected as they dont think I would cope with the intensity of the course.

I havent lost all hope though. Last year a physnatsci applicant was rejected from my sixth form. He achieved A*AAA at A2 and was then offered a place at Cambridge on results day. He did reject them but my point is, there are rare cases where you can prove yourself and still get in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This doesn't happen. Ever. Are you CERTAIN that's what happened?
Reply 73
Yup, I had a conversation with the deputy head of my school about it and he told me (I had also heard it from other staff).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Yup, I had a conversation with the deputy head of my school about it and he told me (I had also heard it from other staff).

Posted from TSR Mobile

He must have already been holding an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was rejected after interview/pooling for physnatsci, seriously considering reapplying
I got 96.4 average ums but my first interview was pretty horrible
Any thoughts on what level of ums is realistically needed at A2 to reapply with a good chance of getting an offer?
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why on earth would they give an offer for NatSci to somebody who only got A*AAA? Most NAtSci offer holders get A*A*A*, there would be plenty of rejects who achieved that. So his grades proved he "wasn't up to it". Let alone that the summer pool is for offer holders and the standard offer didn't become A*A*A till this year.
Either he or your teachers are telling porkies. It doesn't make sense that he asked to go into the pool (as rejectees don't do so even if you plead) and then he rejected them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Croftrainer
I was rejected after interview/pooling for physnatsci, seriously considering reapplying
I got 96.4 average ums but my first interview was pretty horrible
Any thoughts on what level of ums is realistically needed at A2 to reapply with a good chance of getting an offer?

Assuming you have calculated your UMS correctly (first sitting, maths and FM as one not two subjects and so on) and assuming you had at least three science/ maths you were unlucky not to get an offer. Which college did you apply to?
I would say if you get A*A*A* and you can usefully use a Gap year you should definitely go for it. You would be virtually guaranteed to get your second and third choices anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied to gonville and caius, which i now regret as the first interviewer was not friendly or helpful. I didnt do any retakes and i did maths, further maths physics and chem.
that was my thinking too that I'd probably get my second and third choices (imperial and durham) anyway
Thanks for the input :smile:
Original post by RainbowVeins
Mate you are just a bit too young for this year's entry :wink:

I'm rooting for you :love:

Awwwwww I love you 👹

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply