The Student Room Group

Cambridge Re-applicants 2016

Hi all,

I wanted to start a discussion for all those who, having received a rejection from Cambridge for this year, are considering reapplying come September. Gap year plans, feelings on your rejection, advice from previous re-applicants and all related topics are welcome!

Scroll to see replies

I should probably begin with my info.

I applied for Law at Downing College (more due to pressure from my mother than genuine passion for the subject) with AABB at AS and predictions of A*AA, got lucky enough to get an interview but didn't get a place. I've since gained a higher prediction of A*A*A, and am intending on reapplying for Human Social and Political Sciences at Newnham College. For my gap year, I'm looking about for law or political work experience, and want to do a Maths A Level during the year as well.
Reply 2
Haha OP I applied for HSPS at Newnham this year and got turned down, I guess you are more interested in the political side of the course whilst I'm more drawn to the social side.

I still have not decided whether I should re-apply but I guess it's largely up to the feedback of my application(yet to arrive), the grades I'm likely to get this summer and how good my gap year plan would be. (If I do it would still be HSPS, but not Newnham)

It's really good to have this post cause since I had this thought of re-applying I realised it would be quite a tough process psychologically and a lot of pressure from everywhere...it's good to know people who are doing the same thing. Today at school I heard that a re-applicant from our year above got a place whereas two others who were applying for HSPS did not:frown:
Hi! Good idea to start this thread!

I'm an International applicant from the Netherlands.
I applied to Clare for medicine but was rejected post-interview. I feel like, but I'll know for sure when I get my feedback, that this was (at least partly) due to my low score for the BMAT in section 2.
I think that that's also gonna be the reason UCL and Imperial are going to reject me (yes, I know, 3 bmat uni's what was I thinking). . .

However, I got an offer from KCL for biomed so now I'm considering a gap year and reapplying to UCL and Imperial and Cam and doing useful stuff like reading and learning a language and working etc. . .

Sooooo what do you guys think? Will taking a gap year (BUT doing useful things instead of chilling on a beach) decrease my chances?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by aprilsfls
Haha OP I applied for HSPS at Newnham this year and got turned down, I guess you are more interested in the political side of the course whilst I'm more drawn to the social side.

I still have not decided whether I should re-apply but I guess it's largely up to the feedback of my application(yet to arrive), the grades I'm likely to get this summer and how good my gap year plan would be. (If I do it would still be HSPS, but not Newnham)

It's really good to have this post cause since I had this thought of re-applying I realised it would be quite a tough process psychologically and a lot of pressure from everywhere...it's good to know people who are doing the same thing. Today at school I heard that a re-applicant from our year above got a place whereas two others who were applying for HSPS did not:frown:

I'm waiting for feedback as well, though I only emailed them today so hopefully it won't be too long of a wait. The most concerning thing about reapplying is the prospect of not getting in the second time; there are cases where other top unis have refused to defer offers, withdrawn offers, or not made an offer the second time round. I'm planning on doing an entirely different course, so hopefully I'll avoid that side of things, but it is a bit worrying :/

I'm also considering branching out and applying to US colleges as well, but that all depends on whether I can prepare for the exams well enough in the time that I have. Hopefully this thread will provide a bit of community support, as I'm the only person I know that's reapplying :smile:
Original post by thedutchchick

I applied to Clare for medicine but was rejected post-interview. I feel like, but I'll know for sure when I get my feedback, that this was (at least partly) due to my low score for the BMAT in section 2.
I think that that's also gonna be the reason UCL and Imperial are going to reject me (yes, I know, 3 bmat uni's what was I thinking). . .

However, I got an offer from KCL for biomed so now I'm considering a gap year and reapplying to UCL and Imperial and Cam and doing useful stuff like reading and learning a language and working etc. . .

Sooooo what do you guys think? Will taking a gap year (BUT doing useful things instead of chilling on a beach) decrease my chances?

Most unis don't seem to mind gap years so long as you do something subject-relevant during them, however I seem to remember the science subjects being a bit less keen -- my advice would be to call up the unis you plan to reapply to, as they could each have their own policy. If you end up doing something amazing, and can talk about it in a way that is impressive, you may end up in a better position than you were this year.

I have an offer from KCL too! If I get an offer from UCL I may just go there as it's very highly renowned, but I have loved Cambridge so much for so long that I know I'd be dissatisfied if I didn't have another go at it.
Reply 6
Original post by TurtleberrySoup
I'm waiting for feedback as well, though I only emailed them today so hopefully it won't be too long of a wait. The most concerning thing about reapplying is the prospect of not getting in the second time; there are cases where other top unis have refused to defer offers, withdrawn offers, or not made an offer the second time round. I'm planning on doing an entirely different course, so hopefully I'll avoid that side of things, but it is a bit worrying :/

I'm also considering branching out and applying to US colleges as well, but that all depends on whether I can prepare for the exams well enough in the time that I have. Hopefully this thread will provide a bit of community support, as I'm the only person I know that's reapplying :smile:

Yeah I don't know anyone else re-applying either. I mailed them yesterday about the feedback so hopefully we'll get it by the end of this month. I think most unis will understand your withdrawing your application and taking a gap year though as long as you are doing something meaningful, besides you are applying for a different course!

I am thinking about switching my focus from sociology to social anthropology if it helps, as I think I' m growing more interested in social anth and what I'll probably do in my gap year is largely related to anthropology:/ not sure cos I've read loads on sociology and that has always been my main focus
Reply 7
Aiming for at least A*A*A + A in AS (achieved) in order to re-apply!
Reply 8
Hi everyone, glad to see Im not alone : )

Im an international student from Finland, got rejected this year for English at King's. I'm still going to try again because I think I didn't get rejected because of my skills but rather due to bad preparation and total & utter freezing at the interview.

So, how does one request feedback? Email to the admissions?
Reply 9
Original post by thedutchchick

Hey, I'm not applying for medicine, but my Dad works in admissions for medicine at Oxford and my Mum works at UCL as a geneticist so I can probably help you out. Did you use all four of your medicine choices? If medicine is what you really want to do then you should obviously turn it down- have you applied to any medical schools in the Netherlands and do you have good grades (I don't know how the grading system works over there)? If either UCL and Imperial do accept you, you should absolutely take their offer, for a subject like medicine the Oxbridge brand really doesn't matter.
If you decide to reapply you may well have trouble winging it, medicine does NOT look favourably on gap years. That said, if you apply to any medical schools you didn't apply to this year, you should claim that you didn't apply last year (they won't have you on file) and that the norm in the Netherlands is to take a gap year (doctors don't have time to read up on European culture). Sounds cheap and dirty, but its the best way to play it. If you decide to add some "easier" choices to your application, look carefully where the house job will be, as that way you will be shown the ropes by the best doctors. Unless you really want to work in the UK its probably worth checking unis back home, especially if your BMAT's not as strong as it could be. Best of luck!
Original post by Hody421
Aiming for at least A*A*A + A in AS (achieved) in order to re-apply!

Same, I'm doing a Maths AS during my year out to replace the B is got in AS Art. What are you reapplying for, may I ask?
I am an international applicant from China. I applied to Pembroke for HSPS, was auto pooled and then rejected.

My a levels were mainly science subjects: maths, further maths, economics and physics. I was asked in both of my interviews why I chose these subjects but I couldn't really give an answer because that's all my school offers. I am planning to self teach some arts and humanities a levels and complete AS in June together with my current A2's, and reapply.

My ums was 97.6, including further maths. I completed A Level maths. However I didn't complete the other AS's by the time I applied due to timetable problems (I was a part time student for a levels and I learned at a Chinese high school as well - not anymore though). My prediction was A*A*AA (one of the A*'s has already been achieved in maths)

My interviews went quite well, despite the fact that the questions wasn't challenging and I didn't feel that they were pushing me forward. Maybe my answers were too childish (I was only 15 when I was interviewed)

While taking new a levels, I also plan to do some voluntary work. I haven't found any suitable ones though. I am considering online volunteering, but most of the websites requires at least 18 years of age.

I am planning to reapply for HSPS, preferably to Pembroke again. I really liked it when I lived there for the interviews. I probably will choose to be interviewed at Shanghai this year though, I can't afford to fly to England from China just for the interviews again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rala
Hi everyone, glad to see Im not alone : )

Im an international student from Finland, got rejected this year for English at King's. I'm still going to try again because I think I didn't get rejected because of my skills but rather due to bad preparation and total & utter freezing at the interview.

So, how does one request feedback? Email to the admissions?

Yup. Mine went as follows:

To whom it may concern,

I was recently unsuccessful in my application to study [your subject] at your college in September 2015, and I am writing to ask if it would be possible for me to receive feedback on the weaknesses in my application. I am considering reapplying for the next academic year, and this information would be incredibly useful in helping me to come to a decision on how to proceed. My full name as written on UCAS is [insert your name], and my Personal ID is [insert Personal ID].

​Regards,

[Me]
Original post by aprilsfls

Hello :smile:

I posted my details and as you can see I was also rejected for HSPS... And my interest is on the social side as well, and my ps mainly consisted of things about sociology and social anthropology.

Please do PM me when you decide to reapply again. I would be glad if I can discuss about things with someone who had the same experience :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rovensie
Hello :smile:

I posted my details and as you can see I was also rejected for HSPS... And my interest is on the social side as well, and my ps mainly consisted of things about sociology and social anthropology.

Please do PM me when you decide to reapply again. I would be glad if I can discuss about things with someone who had the same experience :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd be glad to :smile: You seem incredibly well-qualified, it's such a shame you didn't get in. My interest is split between social anthropology and politics, which is what I'm really looking for experience around now. You're pretty young compared to the rest of us, which puts you in a better position in some ways as you're getting amazing grades that most 18-year olds struggle to acheive. However, Cambridge do say that re-applicants have a better chance of getting an offer if they apply to a different college, so it may be an idea to look into other lovely colleges to maximise your chances. Good luck with everything, I'm sure you'll do well!
I'd be glad to :smile: You seem incredibly well-qualified, it's such a shame you didn't get in. My interest is split between social anthropology and politics, which is what I'm really looking for experience around now. You're pretty young compared to the rest of us, which puts you in a better position in some ways as you're getting amazing grades that most 18-year olds struggle to acheive. However, Cambridge do say that re-applicants have a better chance of getting an offer if they apply to a different college, so it may be an idea to look into other lovely colleges to maximise your chances. Good luck with everything, I'm sure you'll do well!

I'll think again about the college choice then :biggrin:

However up till now Pembroke is my favourite. Anyway it's a long time since I apply again, so I have a long time to think! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same, I'm doing a Maths AS during my year out to replace the B is got in AS Art. What are you reapplying for, may I ask?

Economics or Land Economy, depends upon my final grades.
Reply 17
Yup. Mine went as follows:

To whom it may concern,

I was recently unsuccessful in my application to study [your subject] at your college in September 2015, and I am writing to ask if it would be possible for me to receive feedback on the weaknesses in my application. I am considering reapplying for the next academic year, and this information would be incredibly useful in helping me to come to a decision on how to proceed. My full name as written on UCAS is [insert your name], and my Personal ID is [insert Personal ID].

​Regards,

[Me]

Oooh thank you : )
Im always so lost with formal emails, we don't really do them here in Finland. In the interview I was so nervous I would blurt out something they would consider impolite...
Original post by oclark44
Hey, I'm not applying for medicine, but my Dad works in admissions for medicine at Oxford and my Mum works at UCL as a geneticist so I can probably help you out. Did you use all four of your medicine choices? If medicine is what you really want to do then you should obviously turn it down- have you applied to any medical schools in the Netherlands and do you have good grades (I don't know how the grading system works over there)? If either UCL and Imperial do accept you, you should absolutely take their offer, for a subject like medicine the Oxbridge brand really doesn't matter.
If you decide to reapply you may well have trouble winging it, medicine does NOT look favourably on gap years. That said, if you apply to any medical schools you didn't apply to this year, you should claim that you didn't apply last year (they won't have you on file) and that the norm in the Netherlands is to take a gap year (doctors don't have time to read up on European culture). Sounds cheap and dirty, but its the best way to play it. If you decide to add some "easier" choices to your application, look carefully where the house job will be, as that way you will be shown the ropes by the best doctors. Unless you really want to work in the UK its probably worth checking unis back home, especially if your BMAT's not as strong as it could be. Best of luck!

Hi, thanks for your reply! I did use all four of my medicine choices. Medical schools in the Netherlands accept students who achieve an 8 out of 10 or higher and I'm predicted to score a 9 out of 10 average, so studying medicine in Holland won't pose a problem. However, my dream has been and still is studying in the UK, and preferably in London or Cambridge. I grew up with the English culture and language (my father is English), so pursuing a career in England seemed logical and desirable to me.
If I were to reapply I'd study way more for the BMAT; the 2nd section, which was the section one could've revised for, was what killed the rest of my score. That's why I'm considering a gap year and reapplying; earn more money, learn a language, study for my BMAT, strengthen my application by doing more volunteering etc.
Do you think it would be worth it to try reapplying in that case?

And wbu? Did you get offers from other choices?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Okay so I just emailed the King's Admissions and they sent me a super kind message, telling me that they would be happy to provide feedback. So, Im going to wait for the feedback and if I didn't get in because of what I think, I will apply again to King's.

Quick Reply

Latest