The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
theres a questionnaire?? never heard about that...
Reply 2
It's really simple, from what i can remember:

Why you want to study here
What qualities you have
Any extracurricular activities that may help you as a doctor

That's all I can remember, but these are simple questions that they pick up on in the interview.

The case study is ok too, but it depends on what you get. Last year I got something about a cesarean section.
Reply 3
In addition to Rahmeds questions, they also asked:

Why Kings?
What makes a good doctor?
What non-science Alevel/GCSE did you do which you think will help you embark on a career in medicine?

Case Study was quite hard, but they do guide you through it as I had not much cloo abt mine!
Case study? *gulp* What do they ask you to do with the case study?
Reply 5
They give you a small scenario a few minutes before the interview. An example is something along the lines of...

A woman wants to have a C-section but her husband doesnt want to go through it (wants a natural birth, i think). Then you have to argue whether it is permissable to have the C-section or not.

In this case you would have to give both for and against arguments, seeing it from the husbands point of view as well and then discuss the ethics of it. This was the one I had last year, but there are quite a few scenarios they could give you.

The best thing to do is to write all of your points down on that piece of paper and read off that in the interview, so you don't foget any of your points.
sounds tricky
Reply 7
It depends on the scenario, some people get something they have never heard of or don't know what it means. To be honest at the time I wasnt even sure what a C-section was - but I guessed and was right, lol! At the end of the day they just want to see valid points and how you back them up.
aah, that's not too bad i guess. I think I'd probably enjoy that bit hehe, bit like the practice PBL examples I do from time to time hehe.
rahmed hows Kings? :biggrin:
Speaking of practice PBL btw, I think someone should ressurrect the "spot the diagnosis" thread :biggrin:
Reply 11
lil_groovy_dude
rahmed hows Kings? :biggrin:

It's a good place to study, a lot of help is given but like any other med school the workload is immense. I was so surprised the other day when I looked back at one of my chemistry revision guides! The content in that guide was the same as 5 lectures, lol! And we've had over 60 now. The first exam is tomorrow as well!
Reply 12
From AF:

Good luck!

-Why Kings?
-What can you contribute to the medical school?
-What makes a good doctor?
-why med @ GKT?
-what can u contribute 2 this uni?
-how would ne non science subject @ GCSE/A-level help as a doctor?
-what qualities make a good /poor doctor?
-what are the good and bad things about being a doctor?

-How was ur journey?
-u come from a college with 1500 ppl, do u find that daunting?
-what is a heart attack?
-how can we reduce risk of heart attack?
-do u eat healthily?
-Why did u apply to GKT?
-What can u contribute to GKT?
-Which non-science subject that you have studied do u think will be useful in career in medicine and Why?
-What qualities does a good/poor doctor have?
-What are the positive and negative aspects of a career in medicine?

-How was ur journey? (warm-up questions)
-How are the a levels going?
-What aspect of medicine are u most interested in? (i said genetics so the second question follows from that)
-What have u read recently bout genetics?
-Out of the work experience u have done what did u enjoy the most?
-What can be done to help bowel cancer? (asked this cos saw an operation - removal of bowel cancer)
-Do u think bowel cancer is common in the UK?
-Do u think pharmacists are sometimes tempted to tell a customer to buy an expensive product even if there is a cheaper one available? (worked in a pharmacy)
-How will the Human Genome project help treat patients in the future? (can’t remember exactly what they asked but something like that)

- What makes a good team member?
- If you was the head of a group of doctors and a collegue was not doing the job well what would you do?
- If you was the head of a team of doctors and the team approached you and told you that you were not doing a good job how would you react?
- Referring to work experience on UCAS form: What did you see in the Radiology dept?
- How does MRI work?
- How does Ultrasound work?
- If you were to use on piece of radiology equipment what would you use? and why?
- What part of the body do X-rays damage?
- What is the structure of DNA? (leading off from previous question)
- If you were asked to design four stamps to mark the 50th anniversary of the NHS what would you put on the stamps? and why?
- Have there really been any dramatic changes to the nhs since it was founded?
- Do you read newspapers?
- How do you go about keeping up to date with current medical issues?
- What do you read of a medical nature?
- Does your school produce a magazine? (???)
- Which of your work experience placements did you enjoy the most? - What was your role there? - Was it organised by your school?
- What is your impression of the job of a doctor? - Do you we just work 9 to 5?
- (Referring to some charity work I did) Which charities did the 'Jeans for Genes Day' campaign raise money for? - Which is the most common genetic disorder in the UK?

- How do you contribute to the life of your school?
- How would your headmaster describe you?
- If, on a scale of 0 to 5, 0 was caring for people and 5 was an interest in science, where would you put yourself on the scale?
- Do you have any family in the medical profession?
-How do you keep up with recent medical issues? i respond saying that i read the Student BMJ which leads on to a mini-discussion about why it's useful and what sections are more beneficial than others etc
-How do you have your medical knowledge?
-Does your school have it's own newspaper?
-Have you ever appeared in it and what for?
-Have you ever written a news article in it?
-Let's say you were writing a news article about what you do for your school, tell me what you would write in it.
-I see you work in a hospice, why? what does it involve? What do the patients suffer from? (+ more probing questions leading from the answers i gave them)
-How many people from your school have applied to medicine this year?
-Do you congregate and talk about medical issues together?
-How is work experience arranged, are you helped by your school? (definitely not!!)
-I see you mentioned that your dad is a doctor, how has that influenced you? (good because i have seen the negative as well as the positive aspects about being a doctor and have been able to discuss issues with him etc)
-what other careers had I looked out and what put me off them
-what causes the need for a heart bypass
-what causes strokes and how do people recover from them
-what work experience had I done
-what did I learn from it
-what are the two types of lung cancer
-what treatments etc
-do I agree/disagree about animal testing

-How was your journey?
-Why london? (I applied to three london unis and nottingham)
-Have you considered any other career?
-Why do you want to become a doctor when there has been negative feedback about doctors in the media recently?
-Tell me about the work you do at the hospice?
-Was there anything you saw that concerned you during your work experience at the hospital?
-Why have you done four science subjects four AS-level?
-Have you read any health or medical articles recently?
-What makes a good team member and what makes a bad team member?
-why did u decide to do voluntry work?
-how did u come about it ?
-what do u do there?
-what have u learnt?
-what do elderly people go in to hosp for ?
-what do u do on w/e?
-is there anything in the news that has intrested u ?
-do u fink prof. von hagen did autopsy for money?
-tell me abit about what u did in one art project?
-did I actually get anything out of my w/e?
-what sort of cases did you see during your work experience?
-can you explain to me what a PRHO does?
-do prho's work in a team or mostly on their own?
-do you want to be an orthopaedic surgeon? (I shadowed one)
-What operations did you see?
-Was there a difference in the diseases you saw in the elderly and the young?
-what have you done that demonstrates teamworking skills?
-what work have you done to show that you can empathise with people?
-when working in A&E did you see any major traumas?
-was it exciting?
-What have you done that demonstrates teamworking skills?
-What other careers did you think about before medicine?
-Did you see anything on work experience after which you thought "I have got to be a doctor?"

1. Why medicine? Why not research?
2. What are the downsides of a career in medicine? Why do you think 10% of medics drop out of med school?
3. I see you worked at Boots - you must have seen how the pharmacy works? (I hadn't) Do you think there is a conflict of interests with companies like Boots selling holistic/ineffective drugs such as Lemsip?
4. You said you were looking for auxiliary nursing work. Did you manage to find any?
5. How does the general public perceive doctors?
But surely any job can demand a level of respect (he cited cleaners as an example). Are you implying doctors are above everyone else?
"Is there a tendency to reward the more intelligent in society?" (I told him all the doctors and medics I knew were down to Earth and didn't have any airs or graces about being a dr and stated that I thought this was a very important quality as doctors have to treat patients from all sectors of society).
6. I see you did lifesaving at university - what exactly does that entail?
7. Can you tell us about your project on myotonic dystrophy? What is the current thinking as to how DM manifests itself?
You must be interested in genetics - do you think the human genome project will revolutionise medicine?
8. I see you worked a an American summer camp - what was the most difficult aspect of that?
9. How do you intend to spend your gap year? Followed by: How do you plan to finace your second degree?

- So you're from Wales and you want to get as far away from homea s possible- why have you chosen London?
-And why Guyz?
-I see you're head girl, could you tell me a bit about that? What diffuculties have you come across? How do you handle these situations?
-You've expressed an interest in opthamology, why is this?
-I see you've done some work experience in France, could you tell me about the french health system?
-What are the bad thingz about being a doctor? How do you think you'll cope working nightz, on your own, no breaks?
- Did you get here ok?
- I see you read medical journals, tell me about a recent article that has interested you
(I talked about diabetes cure using pancreatic transplant cells so questions followed)
- What is type 1 diabetes?
- Would the cells be rejected?
- How do you test the compatabilty of donor cells?
- I know you'll love science and people... but what excites you about medicine?
- With reference to your work experience what are the daily duties of a doctor?
- (I said I saw some shocking things) What shocked you?
- Would you like to discuss the case study?

* Why kings?
* What can u contribute 2 kings?
* Why medicine?
* Why london?
* What qualities should a good doc hav?
What are the bad points of becoming a doc?
(had about 2-3 lines to answer each Q)

* Whats a heart attack?
* How is it caused?
* What can u do 2 stop it?
* How do u keep up all these activities?
* How do u relieve urself of stress?
* Clubs and societies ud like 2 join?
* What would GKT gain from having u here?

* How was your journey?
* Have you visited GKT?
* What do u think of animal testing?
* What would you say to those who say animals are completely different to humans (in complexity) and so how can drugs trials carried out on humans be transferred to humans?
* What did you see/learn during your work experience?
* What are the problems which can arise from joint replacements?
* Qs on MRSA
* Development in medicine I'd read about
* How would you contriburte to King's?

* Why at this stage in your life have you decided to do medicine?
* What have you learnt in your work experience?
* What are the negative aspects of being a doctor? How will you cope with these? Which particular thing would be hardest for you to deal with?
* Most people hate being in environments full of sick people. Do you think doctors are odd in that they actually want to be in such a place?
* If you had the ear of the health minister, what would you tell her to look at that she isn't currently looking at or giving enough attention to?
* What hobbies do you have and which would you like to carry on with at medical school?
arhmed where on earth did u get all dose questions from! lol. im gonna copy and print them all out now. thanks
Reply 14
general-david
arhmed where on earth did u get all dose questions from! lol. im gonna copy and print them all out now. thanks

www.admissionsforum.net :smile:
I had an acknowledgement letter from Kings today...very pleased as I heard they have started interviewing this week. Whats the latest interview they can give before they close their books? Anyone know....should I worry that my friends at school have interviews. I have heard that they are interviewing high scores of UKCAT - I got 730 average. But I also hear that that they are interviewing in order of when you sat your UKCAT...I took mine in late September. My school mate took his in July and he has an interview...he got 680 average:frown: Should I be worried:eek:
lol i think thats all rumours
me n my best mate took the UKCAT on the same day, i gt an intervoew last week, she still hasnt herd + my average was like 640 and hers was 660
my other m8 gt an average of 730 n took the test a day after me and she hasnt herd either....
Reply 17
my average was 645, took it in the middle of september, and i have an interview.
admissions tutors do it in a very random way so dnt worry.

randomities.

starlight-when is ur interview?
monday!!
im rli nervous r they mean?
is teh ethical issues hard!?
how did ures go?
Reply 19
starlight999
monday!!
im rli nervous r they mean?
is teh ethical issues hard!?
how did ures go?

lol i hvnt had mine yet. its on the 29th nov *feels sick too*
dnt worry about it- im sure ul be absolutely fine. from what iv read around, the ethical issues arnt that hard apparently, u just need to really think about it and write down some ideas to discuss.

anyway im sure ul get an offer afterwards:smile: woo

Latest

Trending

Trending