The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Interview for taught master's at Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zefiros
Too bad that it did not go as planned, but not all is lost. I had a very similar experience last year and was admitted anyway.

Really? I guess this gives some hope, because I think I did alright in the rest of it. Abramsky commented that it was evident that I had done a lot of research about the course content of this master's, and I think I came across as someone extremely motivated. I hope this makes up for my initial falter!

And if it doesn't (as I always remind myself when I don't succeed), I should be thankful for having had this opportunity - most people in the world have a much, much tougher life than I can imagine!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Lupacante
I was absolutely terrible, they asked me to prove a really simple statement from my dissertation but I was so nervous I couldn't think straight so wasn't able to do it.

On my journey home, I thought about it again and did it in 2 seconds. Really frustrating, highly disappointed with myself.

PhenolphthaleinX, how did you find it?

same! they asked about a topic I was interested in. they kept asking for a specific example and had me write it on the board. but I forgot the theorem I needed to use :frown: other things that I prepared better didn't get asked. the rest of it was non technical. I guess I didn't really get the chance to prove my abilities here :frown:

anyway Lupacante keep me updated? hope it turns out well for you!!
Reply 22
Original post by PhenolphthaleinX
same! they asked about a topic I was interested in. they kept asking for a specific example and had me write it on the board. but I forgot the theorem I needed to use :frown: other things that I prepared better didn't get asked. the rest of it was non technical. I guess I didn't really get the chance to prove my abilities here :frown:

anyway Lupacante keep me updated? hope it turns out well for you!!

Wow...sounds tough. I also felt like I didn't get the chance to prove my abilities but...that's just the way of the world.

Thanks! But I didn't get it. They haven't let me know anything yet, but I just know I didn't. Going to go back to writing applications to other places tomorrow.

Best of luck, really hope it worked out at least for you!
Wow...sounds tough. I also felt like I didn't get the chance to prove my abilities but...that's just the way of the world.

Thanks! But I didn't get it. They haven't let me know anything yet, but I just know I didn't. Going to go back to writing applications to other places tomorrow.

Best of luck, really hope it worked out at least for you!

If you haven't heard anything yet, don't assume you haven't gotten it! You don't know how the other candidates did, they could have made even bigger flops and you might have been the best performer out of the pool. So just sit tight and cross your fingers :wink:
Reply 24
Original post by punctuation
If you haven't heard anything yet, don't assume you haven't gotten it! You don't know how the other candidates did, they could have made even bigger flops and you might have been the best performer out of the pool. So just sit tight and cross your fingers :wink:

Thanks, although realistically I doubt they'd take me. They will have other interview days, I'm sure more people will apply even if I did turn out to be the less worst of the pool (which I very much doubt).

Zefiros...do you mind if I ask how long passed until they let you know?
Zefiros...do you mind if I ask how long passed until they let you know?
Two days, but then again I was only interviewed in March, so I don't know whether that's standard practice.
Hey Lupacante have you heard anything yet? They haven't got back to me so I'm guessing they want to have a look at the January deadline applicants before making up their mind. So nervous!!
Reply 27
Hey Lupacante have you heard anything yet? They haven't got back to me so I'm guessing they want to have a look at the January deadline applicants before making up their mind. So nervous!!

Hey,

yes I got an email yesterday, and to my great surprise they offered me a place! I could not believe it, as I was 97.6% certain I had messed up the interview.

I hope you make it too!
Hey,

yes I got an email yesterday, and to my great surprise they offered me a place! I could not believe it, as I was 97.6% certain I had messed up the interview.

I hope you make it too!

:party: :party2:

What did I say?! I knew it would be fine! :biggrin: Congrats!!
Hey,

I hope you make it too!

ah!! big congratulations!! are you not sending off your applications to other uni's then? I didn't make it unfortunately but am applying to other places. so conflicted where to apply as there isn't any other Maths&CS masters course in the UK! so I'm looking at CS courses intended for non-CS graduates. well well wish me luck!
ah!! big congratulations!! are you not sending off your applications to other uni's then? I didn't make it unfortunately but am applying to other places. so conflicted where to apply as there isn't any other Maths&CS masters course in the UK! so I'm looking at CS courses intended for non-CS graduates. well well wish me luck!
Too bad!
If your are open for non-UK courses, you might want to consider the MFoCS course in Nijmegen, in the Netherlands.
Original post by Zefiros
Too bad!
If your are open for non-UK courses, you might want to consider the MFoCS course in Nijmegen, in the Netherlands.

thank you for the suggestion! worth a look :smile:
Reply 32

Really sorry to hear that! Good job for trying though, hopefully you'll have learnt something from it to apply to future interviews.

Good luck with your applications!
Reply 33
Hi I'm invited to the same interview. Could you kindly give me some ideas about it? Does it matter I'll be interviewed by computer scientists but I have more interest and knowledge in pure maths? (I nearly have no specific knowledge in computer science)
Reply 34
Original post by nickyx
Hi I'm invited to the same interview. Could you kindly give me some ideas about it? Does it matter I'll be interviewed by computer scientists but I have more interest and knowledge in pure maths? (I nearly have no specific knowledge in computer science)

Sorry for the delay. If I'm still in time:
Same comment that I made to the others applies - I can't tell you anything specific about what the interview will entail, all I can advise is that you make sure you're prepared to speak about anything you mentioned in your application. Your background's likely fine - if it wasn't, do you think they would've invited you for an interview?

If I'm not in time:
how did the interview go?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending