The Student Room Group

UCAS points

some potential idiots have been telling me that oxbridge only accept(or really consider) people who have at least 700 UCAS points bearing in mind that an A at a-level is merely 120, but then even with a regular complement of Alevels (3A-1AS) that would give maximum of 420. what can you do that worth 280, thats not a na A-level
jolity
some potential idiots have been telling me that oxbridge only accept(or really consider) people who have at least 700 UCAS points bearing in mind that an A at a-level is merely 120, but then even with a regular complement of Alevels (3A-1AS) that would give maximum of 420. what can you do that worth 280, thats not a na A-level

the 700 points thing is blatant crap. Ignore them. Aim for 3/4 a's at a level and a's at AS if you can. high AS module marks work in your favour at cambridge at least. UCAS points aren't particularly important to them as far as I can see, and you can't really get 280 points from not doing a levels anyway (unless you can get it from musicy stuff which i dont know about)

however if you do need to boost your ucas points, key skills and general studies both count towards it (a possible extra 180 points)
Reply 2
Don't worry. Oxford don't even use the UCAS tariff when giving offers! The typical offer is still AAB, but there are quite a few people on this forum with AAA offers. I got an AAB offer, which is the equivalent of 340 points. Don't let myths like this put you off - if you are predicted AAB or higher, it is definitely worth a try. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
jolity

These people are talking out of their arses. If they only accepted people with 5 or 6 Alevels, they'd have three students per year between them. Yes, you need to do well and they will want to see at least two A grades at alevel, but once your past that point it's down to interview. From my school, about six people applied this year and the five with three or four As were rejected, and the one girl who got an offer needs AAB: if your grades show you're good enough, they want to see enthusiasm and willingness to learn more than anything else.

Latest

Trending

Trending