The Student Room Group

BVC - unusual one!

I graduated with a first and won a major Inns scholarship. I got flattened by depression during BVC some 4 years ago. I managed to complete the course with 80% (high 'very competent') after deferring exams and travelling back to the provider to sit them. I haven't been called. I was ill afterwards for years. My Inn hasn't been on to me at all about what happened.

I am not sure what my position is. Yes I know I should get in touch. I don't want to come across as selfish and will contribute all I can, but I am no longer attached to a career at the bar if it can no longer be. Life has moved on and stable employment is my main goal.

The only contact I've had with the legal profession is an employability (disability) scheme with an MC firm. That was 2 years ago. They paid for me to go to London.

I don't want negative comments. Is the BVC going to become worthless? I used to get interviews at top sets. Has any one even done it twice. It's just I've seen people in their mid 40s doing BPTC at weekends whilst working in academia and having a very 'late' start. I think I would rather that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Keane1982
I graduated with a first and won a major Inns scholarship. I got flattened by depression during BVC some 4 years ago. I managed to complete the course with 80% (high 'very competent') after deferring exams and travelling back to the provider to sit them. I haven't been called. I was ill afterwards for years. My Inn hasn't been on to me at all about what happened.

I am not sure what my position is. Yes I know I should get in touch. I don't want to come across as selfish and will contribute all I can, but I am no longer attached to a career at the bar if it can no longer be. Life has moved on and stable employment is my main goal.

The only contact I've had with the legal profession is an employability (disability) scheme with an MC firm. That was 2 years ago. They paid for me to go to London.

I don't want negative comments. Is the BVC going to become worthless? I used to get interviews at top sets. Has any one even done it twice. It's just I've seen people in their mid 40s doing BPTC at weekends whilst working in academia and having a very 'late' start. I think I would rather that.

You should get yourself called whether you want to practice or not. That puts a full stop under your qualification. There is a danger that your old course will become stale. Even if there is no current limit on the date by which you would to be called (I don't know) organisations don't keep transitional rules for old training schemes for ever. Moreover it just becomes a lot easier to explain. You were ill and everything was delayed. That is better than you were ill and never completed. The rules about describing yourself as a barrister are a lot more relaxed if you are doing something else but the fact you are a barrister may open non-legal doors.

Unless you are completely over your illness I can't see that a life as a barrister in private practice would be suitable. Civil servant, law reporter, legal publishing, regulatory body, perhaps?
Reply 2
Hello,

As far as I am aware I am over the illness. I had a lot of complex things going on throughout 20s - lost parent to challenging death, not got a lot of family. I am not feeling sorry for myself but I was very isolated and didn't have many support networks. I got a customer service job (rubbish pay) but I've found that it has given me a lot of social skills and interaction that I was missing. I think I would do much better on the BVC now - people see me as very confident and a new person.

It's more a question for me whether it is worth going back to law if something else props up. I had my heart set on the commercial end. Now I am not saying that's not demanding (it is) but don't think I would like personal injury work etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you are going to call yourself a barrister I think the rules have changed and you now need to be "called".

As far as I understand it your qualification goes stale after five years - you're on the cusp of that by the sound of it.

The best way to judge whether it is worth you considering doing the BPTC in the future, in order to revive your qualification is to actually find some work in law. There are opportunities for volunteering in various ways. The next pupillage season is just about upon us, so you might consider applying - though not sure what the exact position will be because most are for starts in Sept/Oct 2016.

At worst, there are often short-notice pupillages available on the pupillage web site, ie starting in a few months - apply for some and see where it gets you and how you feel about it.

Hi Keane1982,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'll have a look if the BVC qualification does go stale after a certain amount of time. Can I check when you qualified so I can follow this up?

Is there any other questions you have about the Bar?

Thanks
Lucy
Reply 5
Thanks. I finished my last exam September 2011 after I deferred them from the year 2009-2010. My transcript doesn't even note the deferral and says 2009-2010 but I am sure it must count that the last exam was in 2011. Then my degree certificate handed out by the provider states January 2012 because they have graduations twice a year and finishing in September 2011 that was the next one.

Kind wishes.

I am just glad to have my health back and have learnt valuable life lessons. However, I feel it is sensible and only right to ascertain the validity of a qualification I have.
(edited 9 years ago)
Here's what the BSB web site says:

Is there a time limit for starting pupillage?

Yes. If you commenced the vocational stage of training on or after 1 September 1998, you must start pupillage within five years of passing the BVC / BPTC (or the Bar Transfer Test, as the case may be). The time-limit for starting pupillage can be extended by the Bar Standards Board in individual cases if there are sufficient grounds. An application must be made on a prescribed application form and will be considered by the Qualifications Committee. The form can be downloaded from the BSB website or obtained from the Training Regulations Administrator.

https://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk/qualifying-as-a-barrister/pupillage/pupillage-frequently-asked-questions/

Note, it says "start" within five years. Which implies that if you have a 2010 finish date then you will be out of time by Autumn 2016 (most likely date for next round of pupillage applications). You need to check with the BSB what your BVC/BPTC date actually is, and whether you can extend the expiry date.

If you look on the pupillage gateway you will find some sets offering short notice pupillages - that might be your best option.

http://www.pupillagegateway.com/
Thanks. I finished my last exam September 2011 after I deferred them from the year 2009-2010. My transcript doesn't even note the deferral and says 2009-2010 but I am sure it must count that the last exam was in 2011. Then my degree certificate handed out by the provider states January 2012 because they have graduations twice a year and finishing in September 2011 that was the next one.

Kind wishes.

I am just glad to have my health back and have learnt valuable life lessons. However, I feel it is sensible and only right to ascertain the validity of a qualification I have.

Hi Keane1982, I can confirm the course is valid for 5 years. Please contact your Inn on how best to go about this.

Thanks
Lucy
Reply 8
I will do. Hopefully since I finished in 2011 - that gives me one to go.
I will do. Hopefully since I finished in 2011 - that gives me one to go.

Not really, pupillage season is almost upon us - you need to be applying now (if it is 2011) to start in 2106.
Reply 10
While ago since I did that the whole pupillage portal. Got many interviews but seemed to go around in circles. Do feel that they probably have someone in mind that did work experience or was at least known to them. Might be wrong about that. At the time got many interviews and the cost adds up. Not saying poor me - I can make myself known but you do wonder whether you are wasting your time after a while going in 'blind'..

As I say, you need to be confident about what you want because the money and expense all builds up through mini-pupillages/supporting yourself to get to location etc.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending