The Student Room Group

Is 1st Class (Honours) Degree the be all & end all?...

Poll

First Class Degree - Be all & End all?

After reading some Graduate Vacancy requirements e.g. S&T, would you think that to get a seat at that coveted desk on a trading floor would require a first class degree?
Reply 1
Original post by Toda
After reading some Graduate Vacancy requirements e.g. S&T, would you think that to get a seat at that coveted desk on a trading floor would require a first class degree?

No, to put it simply.

In most cases, your degree grade is a formality to get through the initial application process... does this candidate meet the minimum requirements (a 2:i degree classification)

In terms of then actually landing the job, it's much more down to fit, what you have done outside your degree (work experience, previous internships, extra curricular activities, volunteering, sports etc), your performance in the interview/assessment centre, did the interviewer actually like you, a huge range of other factors

Candidate A with a 1st class degree is not automatically going to have a better chance then candidate B with an upper 2nd class degree

If candidate B has more extensive relevant experience, performed better in the interview process, and appeared a better all round character than candidate A, then the degree classification would be largely irrelevant.

I would imagine only in a small number of circumstances would degree classification have an influential role in the decision making process... e.g. 2 very similar candidates, who performed equally well, one with a high 1st class honours vs a low/mid 2:i, that may carry some sway, but
generally it is not a vital requirement of landing a job in IB/S&T/AM etc

That being said, it's always better to have a 1st on your CV than a 2:i, but don't expect to be able to rely on having a 1st to land you a job in what is an extremely competitive industry
Reply 2
NEWSFLASH: No one in the industry gives a crap if you got a 1st or 2:1
Original post by MAINE.
NEWSFLASH: No one in the industry gives a crap if you got a 1st or 2:1

This
You need a double star first in maths from Cambridge to be even considered for a trading role. That's what you want to hear, right?
Original post by Econight
You need a double star first in maths from Cambridge to be even considered for a trading role. That's what you want to hear, right?

Thankfully I am yet to submit my application to your Trading Floor
Reply 6
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Toda
Thankfully I am yet to submit my application to your Trading Floor

I would assume you could detect the sarcasm but I just looked back at your original post and remembered what you actually asked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending