The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Durham College Allocation Thread (for 2015 entry)

Hi everyone, I know this is a bit early but quite a lot of people seem to have offers now so I thought everyone might like to start discussing colleges! :biggrin: For anyone who doesn't know, college allocations start in February. So where did you apply to? Do you think you will be/have you been reallocated to a different college? Why did you choose the college you applied to? Will you be going to a Post Application Open Day? And so on...

If anyone would like me to post any information about the college allocation process or the dates of the open days or anything just say and I'll add it to this post. :smile:

My name is Sapphire321 and I've applied for both Natural Sciences (Biology and Chemistry) and Biological Sciences (Biochemistry) for 2015 entry. I currently have an offer for Biological Sciences and am still waiting for a decision from Natural Sciences. I've applied to St. Chad's College (it was amazing at the open day so I'm really hoping I'll get in but it's really oversubscribed so we'll see! :tongue:)

Good luck everyone! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I applied to castle :smile: just wondering but does durham allocate colleges before or after you firm/insurance it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I have an offer for BA geography, I applied to Josephine Butler as I liked the idea of self catering and that it is close (ish) to the library and geography building as well as the sports centre (I wish to row)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haven't heard back yet... also haven't made it to any of the open days so I have no idea on my opinion on it ><
Applied to Van Mildert as the website seemed friendly (?? bad reason I know) and a friend said it was "like if Wetherspoons did a college" and I thought that sounded kinda sweet (even worse reason I know)
Haven't got an offer yet but I applied to St Mary's - nice and traditional, although apparently their bar isn't very good :')
got a music offer but haven't found out college allocation yet... applied to trevs though as it looked good online and then all the people there were really friendly when i visited :smile:
Reply 6
I've not had an offer, but I applied to Trevs because I loved the fact that the rooms were set on hexagonal corridors, it has the best rep for music, it's fairly close to the Uni sports centre and it looked really friendly. (Plus, I hear it has the cheapest college bar...)
Reply 7
Original post by nanceheh
I applied to castle :smile: just wondering but does durham allocate colleges before or after you firm/insurance it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good choice! I saw round it at the open day and it was really nice. :smile: Really competitive though! As far as I know, it just allocates them in February whether you have firmed/insuranced it or not. Most people wait and see what college they get and then choose whether to make Durham their firm/insurance choice or decline it.
Reply 8
Original post by Gemma1243
I have an offer for BA geography, I applied to Josephine Butler as I liked the idea of self catering and that it is close (ish) to the library and geography building as well as the sports centre (I wish to row)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done on the offer! I've not seen Josephine Butler but it seems to be a really popular one on here. :smile: Are you good at cooking then? I think I would be terrible at self catering haha! Yeah, Durham's supposed to be really good for rowing. Have you ever rowed before?
Reply 9
Original post by SummerJasmin
Haven't heard back yet... also haven't made it to any of the open days so I have no idea on my opinion on it ><
Applied to Van Mildert as the website seemed friendly (?? bad reason I know) and a friend said it was "like if Wetherspoons did a college" and I thought that sounded kinda sweet (even worse reason I know)

Don't worry, no-one has. It starts in February! :smile: Don't worry, you'll have a chance to see it (or whichever college you are allocated to) at one of the open days in March!
Original post by scavi2008
Haven't got an offer yet but I applied to St Mary's - nice and traditional, although apparently their bar isn't very good :')

I thought St Mary's was lovely when I saw round it at the open day. I almost applied there! :smile: I didn't see the bar on my tour actually but I'm sure it won't be that bad! :tongue:
Original post by Sapphire321
Well done on the offer! I've not seen Josephine Butler but it seems to be a really popular one on here. :smile: Are you good at cooking then? I think I would be terrible at self catering haha! Yeah, Durham's supposed to be really good for rowing. Have you ever rowed before?

I wouldn't necessarily say good at cooking, so this summer will be learning however I wanted the choice of when I eat rather than set meal times. I used to row competitively but a levels put an end to that so I want to pick it up again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good choice! I saw round it at the open day and it was really nice. :smile: Really competitive though! As far as I know, it just allocates them in February whether you have firmed/insuranced it or not. Most people wait and see what college they get and then choose whether to make Durham their firm/insurance choice or decline it.

friends and I applied castle, sadly they aren't going because they got other unis ie cambridge :3
ooh nice! I was wondering if I needed to form it now so I get allocated a college now. still deciding where to go omg because each uni has its pros and cons and this is really hard. durham has been my top choice for a while but my family is in the south and would rather i go to a uni closer to them. I guess I'll wait til feb :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Oh hey Sapphire, I remember you from last application cycle. 😛 If you don't mind me asking, what are you up to this year?

I'll be at Chad's for chemistry this October - hopefully see some of you there!
I left it open, because I'm a maverick. In honesty I've been out of the education system for a few years now and didn't really know what the collegiate system was, so I just left it open. With hindsight that was such a bad decision.
Original post by Gemma1243
I wouldn't necessarily say good at cooking, so this summer will be learning however I wanted the choice of when I eat rather than set meal times. I used to row competitively but a levels put an end to that so I want to pick it up again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm going to try and learn in the summer as well because even in the catered ones they have little kitchens and it might be useful. That's good! I know, A levels get in the way of everything haha! I'm hoping to get back into singing and drama at uni. :smile:
I've had an offer for Health and Human Sciences and I applied to Grey College :smile:
Yeah I'm going to try and learn in the summer as well because even in the catered ones they have little kitchens and it might be useful. That's good! I know, A levels get in the way of everything haha! I'm hoping to get back into singing and drama at uni. :smile:

I've seen cook books for uni students so I think I may need to investigate! They really do, everything gets put on hold for six months-a year. Durham's a good place for drama and singing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Applied to Josephine Butler but a bit worried about cooking for myself :redface:

Oh my god thanks so much! I had been looking EVERYWHERE to see if catered had kitchens but couldn't find any info!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest