The Student Room Group

Southampton Solent University-BA Social

Hello, I have an interview at southampton solent (BA Social work) on the 25th feb, so excited and nervous, does anyone else have this interview date or know what the interview entails? I'm irish so it will be more than a big change, feedback appreciated! :smile:
Hi MaryHannah,

I'm not studying at Southampton but I do know that the process of the interview is set by the HCPC so all universities do pretty much the same thing!

You will have a group piece, sometimes a discussion about a topic or after you have watched a video or spoken to service users from the local area. Sometimes there is a written piece too but this might depend on whether they have asked you to do a supplementary application form after the UCAS application.

Normally you then have a more formal interview and sometimes you are given a topic to talk about or a short presentation to make (this is normally suggested in advance so don't worry if you don't have this to do).

I think the thing to remember is that they have already seen something in you that they want to know more about so please have confidence in the fact that you have been asked to interview stage.

Wishing you Luck on the day - just be yourself!

If you have any other questions - please feel to ask!

Mish :smile:
Reply 2
Hey Mish :smile:
Thanks for your reply, was really informative! I have gotten articles to read and a form to fill out so hopefully it will be successful, can I ask if your studying the course somewhere else?
Thanks a lot,
Mary Hannah
Hiya.

I'm studying at Bournemouth so just down the road.

It's a great course and I think because it's a professional qualification as well as academic the contents are quite similar to each other.

Good luck with it.

Mish :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi MaryHannah,

I'm in the first year of this course at Solent - Congrats on your selection day!

Don't be too nervous its not too bad. You have your written assessment first, they don't expect you to know everything just read what they sent you and maybe do a bit of wider reading. Then they split you into small groups for the goldfish bowl exercise.. which is nothing to worry about, just be respectful to others, say something and if there is anyone who doesn't talk - try and encourage them to talk (this is one of the criteria). Then we had individual interviews (even though the selection day invitation said there wouldn't be! - so be prepared.

They commented this year that alot of applicants did not know the difference between oppression and discrimination - so look that up. They also asked what you understand to be the role of a social worker - so be clear on that. When they ask you why you want to become a social worker - try not to talk in detail about personal experiences - you can just say something like "I have some personal experience which I feel would help me empathise/see things from a different perspective" and try to avoid "I want to help people" They also asked me what I did to prepare for the interview.

I would also advise you to read up on conflict of values etc. So your professional values tell you to empower people and challenge social injustice, but your organisational values (employer) will be about the financial aspect etc and your personal values. These will often be in conflict.

If you don't know something, DO NOT try to wing-it - just be open and say that you're not sure but you will go away and read and reflect on it. You do get to see all the notes they made about you on your selection day if you do end up coming to the uni and in mine they marked me well because in my 1:1 interview I answered a question with "I don't have all the answers" ha ha ha

Also, it would be helpful for you to spend some time thinking about any personal values/prejudices you may have. E.g how do you feel about abortion? religion? Homosexuality? asylum seekers? They want you to recognise that everyone has personal views/values/morals that can be uncomfortable, but what is important is that you can identify these so that you can try not to let these affect your practice as a social worker. E.g you can say, "personally I am against abortion as it is part of my faith BUT I understand that this will not be everyone's view and that my role is to work with people in an anti-discriminatory and anti-oppressive way and that I cannot push my values unto others"

Some websites to look at in preparation;

HCPC social work code of conduct and ethics for students uk
BASW
SCIE
Community Care
Joseph Rowntree Foundation

It is an amazing course, but i'm not going to lie - Its tough! you have to be organised and have to be able to deal with pressure. Forget any ideas of "first year is easy, you can just party" - Not with Social Work i'm afraid :-(
Hi Lima mike Juliet
I also have an interview at Southampton and was wondering if you could give me a rough idea of what the first year timetable is like just wondering how many days you are at university in lectures?

Thanks so much xx
Original post by Dublinchick99
Hi Lima mike Juliet
I also have an interview at Southampton and was wondering if you could give me a rough idea of what the first year timetable is like just wondering how many days you are at university in lectures?

Thanks so much xx

I don't know if it will be the same but we are in uni Mondays (every other week we start later) and all day Tuesday then we have to come in on some Wednesdays. But this can change when you have presentations etc.
Original post by LimaMikeJuliet
I don't know if it will be the same but we are in uni Mondays (every other week we start later) and all day Tuesday then we have to come in on some Wednesdays. But this can change when you have presentations etc.

That's great thank you for that. I was just thinking ahead a it about child care options so thanks that's really helpful x
Reply 8
Lima Mike Juliet,
Thank you so much for your reply, it's so nice to hear someone that's been through it and I'll make sure to take the points into consideration and do my research, I'll be sure to look up those websites also, thanks again!
I've never been to southampton so it will be a huge change, was also wondering if you didn't mind me asking whether you had any previous experience? (I have talked to social workers etc but I havent done a lot tbh) If I get it I'm going to be going straight from leaving cert, also I know people say that the course is what matters, but what do you think about the city in general?
Thanks again,
MaryHannah
Original post by MaryHannah
Lima Mike Juliet,
Thank you so much for your reply, it's so nice to hear someone that's been through it and I'll make sure to take the points into consideration and do my research, I'll be sure to look up those websites also, thanks again!
I've never been to southampton so it will be a huge change, was also wondering if you didn't mind me asking whether you had any previous experience? (I have talked to social workers etc but I havent done a lot tbh) If I get it I'm going to be going straight from leaving cert, also I know people say that the course is what matters, but what do you think about the city in general?
Thanks again,
MaryHannah

The city is good. I did have some experience but that doesn't matter too much but just sell yourself on your commitment and that you've researched the role etc.
Reply 10
After they've sent you 4 case studies, what are the questions they ask you about them during the interview and selection day? Or do u tell them your views yourself? If any one could reply I would be very grateful
Original post by Oliviaoy
After they've sent you 4 case studies, what are the questions they ask you about them during the interview and selection day? Or do u tell them your views yourself? If any one could reply I would be very grateful

Hi, this is what I'm worrying about! My interview with Solent is the 17th of February. Iv been sent the 4 case study's but now worrying about what they will ask about them. If anyone can help me please.
I have an interview for social work at Southampton Solent on the 20th. I'm glad I found this post, makes me feel less nervous knowing that other people feel the same as I do. Good luck for your interviews :smile:
I was wondering if you have the answer to this question now? my interview is Feb 1st and I have no idea what they may ask about the 4 articles!

Quick Reply

Latest