The Student Room Group

A level decision help

Okay I'm just going to give my current 3 choices and can you guys say which you think I should choose and why. I want to do economics or something possibly maths related but not a maths degree.

(1) Maths, Economics and French with Spanish AS

(2) Further Maths + Maths, Economics and French with Spanish AS

(3) Maths, Economics and French with English Language AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Don Joiner
Okay I'm just going to give my current 3 choices and can you guys say which you think I should choose and why. I want to do economics or something possibly maths related but not a maths degree.

(1) Maths, Economics and French with Spanish AS

(2) Further Maths + Maths, Economics and French with Spanish AS

(3) Maths, Economics and French with English Language AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since you don't want to do a maths degree, further maths is (obviously) not essential. Having said that, it would be a great help for some of the more complicated parts of an economics (or similar) degree. If you feel that you're up to option 2, then, by all means, go for it. It'll be hard work though. From a more logistical side, it also depends on what units your institution teaches under the title of 'Further Maths'. Statistics will be vital for an Economics degree, and if this is only an option for you through Further Maths, then I would say it's a must. If you did go with that, then there exists an entirely different debate as to whether you should do the Spanish AS which will clearly bear an additional work load. So that's options 1 and 2 looked at. Sort of.

As for English Language, I know that essays are a part of any economics course, but in some more so than others. If you haven't already, I would get thinking about which universities and specific courses take your fancy, and judging whether essay writing takes a significant role, or, at least, a more significant role, than the 'average' Economics degree. So that's my opinion on option 3.

I know I haven't really given a definitive answer, because it's essential that you make up your own mind. If I were you, though, I would choose option 4. "Option 4?!", I hear you cry. Yes, option 4:

Maths, Further Maths, Economics, French.

Hope this was of help. Good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks so much fantastic answer haha, yeah I'm going to see if the school will let me not do Spanish

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest