The Student Room Group

Distinguishing between two gases?

I have a half-term asesment where I have to plan an experiment where the volume of gas produced when a carbonate is decomposed relates to one of two equations.

In equation 1 CO2 and O2 are produced and in equation 2 only CO2 is produced, I'm fine with the latter equation as it is failry straight forward, but how would I be able to collct the gas from equation one and apply stoicheometry when i can't distinguish between what is oxygen and what is carbon dioxide?

Could I add some kind of oxygen absorbing material into the experiment, do they even exist?

Any help on distinguishing between the two gases would be great
Reply 1
not so sure about the O2 absorbing material, but there is one that absorbs CO2...but I can't remember what it's called :redface:

EDIT: This might help :smile:
Reply 2
Limewater?
Reply 3
Indeed.

However I would need to then collect the two different gases in different tubes, does one gas wiegh more than the other in comparison to air, i.e. will one gas float and the other sink?
Reply 4
Grey
Indeed.

However I would need to then collect the two different gases in different tubes, does one gas wiegh more than the other in comparison to air, i.e. will one gas float and the other sink?

Well air is mostly made of nitrogen, N2.

Oxygen is O2 and is heavier than N2 so will sink in air.

Carbon dioxide is CO2, and with the extra C, it is heavier than O2, so I'm guessing it will sink faster given a very long tube.

Both sinks :frown: , so you might want to rely on something else, e.g. solubility in a variety of substances?
Reply 5
Soda lime absorbs carbon dioxide.
Reply 6
An idea just came from my mind:

How about lead the gases to a sealed chamber with some magnesium strips. Heat the chamber and the Mg with react with the oxygen. Then using stoichiometry, you can work out how much O2 is present, V1.

Do the same again, but this time find the total volume of the gases evolved, V2.

The volume of CO2, V3, could be found by V3 = V2 - V1.

Just an idea.

Latest