The Student Room Group

I want to drop out of uni

I took a gap year after sixth form because I didn't know what I wanted to do. I tried to be productive and do something worthwhile but I just ended up sitting around the house feeling depressed. Realised I had to do something so applied to uni and got into UCL but I'm not really enjoying it here. I haven't made any friends, I'm feeling stressed by the work and I don't know whether I enjoy the course any more. If I dropped out though I don't know what I'd do, I have no work experience and I'm nearly 20. I'd be so miserable moving back home where I have no friends either. That makes me want to stay here and try and make the best of it. I'm arranging to see a therapist on campus but I realise there's only so much they can do. I'm lacking so much direction right now, feeling more depressed and stressed than ever.
I would suggest speaking to the therapist and friends/family before making the decision. I think it is important to try and work out if you are depressed and that is the cause of your lack of enjoyment and engagement with the course.... OR if the course and university environment is making you stressed and depressed. If it is the latter than leaving seems like a simple decision.

20 without work experience is not that old. Presumably you have GCSE, A-levels/BTEC and now a year at uni. You have no significant gaps on your CV which is what employers hate. You can explain you took a gap year (very common) but then after sticking out Uni for a year you realised you would rather be out working, earning and gaining practical experience.

Other options are finding out if switching course is possible, or maybe switching university. Alternatively you could take a break of studies, often called a 'leave of absence", rather than making the final decision to leave straight away.

You are young and there are lots of options. I think it is important you try and talk them through with somebody before making any final decision.

Quick Reply

Latest