The Student Room Group

Teenage Pregnancy

In light of the high number of teenage pregnancies in the UK, the Institute for Public Policy Research recommends that primary school children should recieve sex education.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6075860.stm

The theory seems to go that the younger children learn about sex, the less likely they will become parents in their teens. In that case why stop at primary school? Doesn't it make sense to take the toddlers out of the sandpit and teach them too?

If we wanted to cut down on teenage smoking, would we go into primary schools saying: look if you're going to smoke, choose a low tar brand, keep it down to just a few fags a day, leave a long stub etc.

Do the IPPR consider it a mere coincidence that as well as having the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe we also have the one of the highest rates of benefits for single mothers? Do they really believe that 15 year-olds don't know what causes pregnancy? Children don't have a full appreciation that actions have consequences. There is no point whatsoever in advising them how to avoid pregnancy if you don't make it clearly apparent why it should be avoided. As it stands, there is not great deal to be avoided, as taxpayers are always on hand to bail them out with benefits. If the grandparents were forced to meet the costs of bringing up the child, you could be damn sure teenagers would understand the consequences of pregnancy.

As long as we continue to shield people from the costs of irresponsible behaviour, we will have irresponsible behaviour, and no amount of slipping johnnies over cucumbers will change that.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got sex ed in my primary school. I think that's as early as it should go.
Teenages know how babies are made. I think the problem is with them not understanding the consequences of their actions and what it is to be a parent.
Reply 2
kam
I got sex ed in my primary school. I think that's as early as it should go.
Teenages know how babies are made. I think the problem is with them not understanding the consequences of their actions and what it is to be a parent.

Indeed they don't. But most of them are only doing it so they can claim benifits for the child and not have to work.
M j R
Indeed they don't. But most of them are only doing it so they can claim benifits for the child and not have to work.

I'd like to see some proof of that. I refuse to believe that people could have got that lazy, that they would live meaningless lives, a burden to those who can be bothered to work.
Reply 4
This isn't 'proof' of the type that you're looking for but here's a little anecdotal evidence: I know one girl who left school at 16, had a baby at 17, and last time I heard (this summer) she was expecting another, living off benefits and not planning to actually work for her money. I appreciate that there would be childcare costs involved, but I wouldn't mind the government giving people a contribution towards childcare so that they could go out to work. It used to be that if you didn't work you didn't eat. Sadly, this is no longer the case since Labour have become lapdogs to the people.

But back to the topic in hand. We were told about periods in school at the age of 8 and about sex at the age of 10 or 11. I think what came too late was the contraception education - 14 or 15 is too late for some people, and that's what needs to be changed, not the age at which children should be told about sex. Telling five-year-olds about sex just seems wrong to me. Children are children and have so little time to be so, but all the time in the world to be adults. I would perhaps introduce contraception education at 12 or 13 if it were up to me, but apart from that I wouldn't change anything about the education aspect.

Another (smallish) thing is this: in France (and I suspect other European countries) they have condom machines mounted on street corners. This looks really weird when you first see it (I can't think that many people like their sex al fresco) but there are loads of the damn things. You can't accuse Britain of making condoms unavailable but this definitely takes things one step further. It's hardly private but I know a lot of young people feel embarrassed about having to go up to a till in a shop and pay for condoms in front of someone, which the existence of the street-corner machines sort of eliminates. It's quick, it's easy, it's available, and nobody will look twice at you. And the French have a far lower teen pregnancy rate than we do. I'm certain that the existence of these machines isn't the only factor, but I'm sure it helps.
Reply 5
Personally I think teaching primary school kids sex ed (as in contraception rather than "how babies are made") and other things like schools giving out free condoms (I've seen it suggested but dont know if it actually happens) just encourages kids to have underage sex. Though I dont see any harm in tellings kids how babies were made. I was 7 when I found out and I just thought it was funny and made Barbie and Ken do it. However with kids growing up so quickly maybe thats different now.

I also agree with the above poster about teens deliberately getting pregnant. My friend also got herself pregnant at 16, her reason was that she wanted to drop out of college and needed an excuse.
I'm worried because the reason why we have to teach primary children is because we have to rectify teenage pregnancy, rather than to teach the hollistic and positive approach of sex education. personally, I think they are far too young to know.
Reply 7
most of them are only doing it so they can claim benifits for the child and not have to work

Aha. They're far too stupid to think of cunning plans like that...

They're simply too idiotic to use contraception. Even though they do learn about it in schools they don't give a toss and think it wont happen to them. When they find out that they can actually get money for bringing another little worthless terror into the world they're like "UG, MONAAAY, ug, child, keep, ug, MONAY". Or something along those lines.
Reply 8
I'm not sure how beneficial sex education really is. Teen pregnancy rates have been steadily claiming in Britain whilst the age of sex education has dropped. I'm not claiming the two are related, but obviously sex education isn't working. Other factors have changed which are more influential, possibly the attitude of society as a whole towards sex. The fact that magazines targeted at young teenage girls give advice about how to perform a satisfactory blowjob is a reflection of this.
Reply 9
I refuse to believe that people could have got that lazy, that they would live meaningless lives, a burden to those who can be bothered to work.

I've said before; there was a group of ~10 girls in my year at school that I know got up the duff so they could get a house and benefits.

In some communities, the more money you can cheat from the system, the higher the esteem you're held in.
Reply 10
Angelil
Another (smallish) thing is this: in France (and I suspect other European countries) they have condom machines mounted on street corners. This looks really weird when you first see it (I can't think that many people like their sex al fresco) but there are loads of the damn things. You can't accuse Britain of making condoms unavailable but this definitely takes things one step further. It's hardly private but I know a lot of young people feel embarrassed about having to go up to a till in a shop and pay for condoms in front of someone, which the existence of the street-corner machines sort of eliminates. It's quick, it's easy, it's available, and nobody will look twice at you. And the French have a far lower teen pregnancy rate than we do. I'm certain that the existence of these machines isn't the only factor, but I'm sure it helps.

Surely, people passing by could see you using the 'condom machine'. If buying condoms from a shop embarrassed you, i'm guessing that using the machine on a street where everyone can see you would be just as embarassing, maybe even more, seeing as at a shop, only the person on the till would know what you're buying.
Reply 11
Will
I'd like to see some proof of that. I refuse to believe that people could have got that lazy, that they would live meaningless lives, a burden to those who can be bothered to work.

All you have to do so see some proof of that is to walk down a council estate and see how many kids are carting around babies. Rather than get an education and make money that way these people prefer to have a child and live off the benefits as I don't know if you're all aware every child is entitled to some benefits and those who are born to lower income parents (or single mothers) they will get a lot more money, hence why they do it, as they are financially safe.

I saw this young girl about 14 at the train station she was pregnant and seemed to be proud of it; I know that doesn't prove anything I'm just saying.
maybe instead of being taught about contraception (which lets face it they probably allready know about) try teaching them what its like to raise a child ie hard work
Reply 13
sak-y
Surely, people passing by could see you using the 'condom machine'. If buying condoms from a shop embarrassed you, i'm guessing that using the machine on a street where everyone can see you would be just as embarassing, maybe even more, seeing as at a shop, only the person on the till would know what you're buying.

Why would people be looking at you though? They're too busy concentrating on where they're going, what they're doing or who they're with to go 'aahahahahaha that person's using a condom machine!!'
Angelil

Another (smallish) thing is this: in France (and I suspect other European countries) they have condom machines mounted on street corners. This looks really weird when you first see it (I can't think that many people like their sex al fresco) but there are loads of the damn things.

France has them on the streets, Britain has them in every pub bathroom in the Kingdom. They're not exactly hard to find.

It really annoys me when I see chav-girl with her Croydon face-lift and triple buggie walking up the the street (and no, they weren't triplets). It's quite disconerting that they're breeding so much faster than us; where do they all go?
Reply 15
soup_dragon87
France has them on the streets, Britain has them in every pub bathroom in the Kingdom. They're not exactly hard to find.

My point exactly. Pub=place where only 18 and overs are *meant* to go. Condom machine on street corner=anyone, regardless of age, can convert money into condom.
Angelil
My point exactly. Pub=place where only 18 and overs are *meant* to go. Condom machine on street corner=anyone, regardless of age, can convert money into condom.

Do you really think that pubs in chav-dominated areas care about age limits? The proprieter would probably get stabbed if he tried to stop them.
Reply 17
Socioty is messed up in general - if your body is old enough to have a baby then that is natural. it is people in general who make life difficult for teenage mothers. and socioty as a whole.
Reply 18
So that makes it OK then does it?
No no no no no. You should only have a baby if you can love it and pay for it. Not the first without the second.
Reply 19
up the chavs!! lol have you ever thought that they are so chav because of the classes in socioty!! why should any one be richer than any one else.
why shouldnt they have children and the opportunities that "richer" people so deserve? life should be a free for all and if we all just took a step back and looked at the bigger picture we would all see what a better life we could all have. do you really think god made each and everyone of uds to drag our selfs out of bed at 6 am every day to slog our guts out? doh.

Latest

Trending

Trending