The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship Programme at JP Morgan VS traditional route

Hi there,

Basically I am finding it hard to comprehend the significance of the 'Apprenticeship Programme - Bournemouth' at JP Morgan compared to the traditional route of having a degree (3-4 years) whilst gaining experience and THEN applying to JP Morgan.

In the website, they wrote
Students on the J.P. Morgan Bournemouth Apprenticeship will undertake a Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Providing Financial Services - Investment Operations.

They will also receive an Industry recognised qualification in the form of the Investment Operations Certificate (IOC) from CISI.

We recognise that our people are our competitive advantage, and actively support the study of further qualifications following the programme’s completion, according to the needs of their role and the desires of the individual. Our training partner will facilitate and monitor the apprentices’ progress throughout the programme.

What is the significance of these two qualification in the grand scheme of things when becoming an investment banker? How does that compare to doing a degree? When/how will I become an investment banker?

Please excuse my naivety in this field.
That won't land you a role in Investment Banking.
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU
Hi there,

Basically I am finding it hard to comprehend the significance of the 'Apprenticeship Programme - Bournemouth' at JP Morgan compared to the traditional route of having a degree (3-4 years) whilst gaining experience and THEN applying to JP Morgan.

In the website, they wrote

What is the significance of these two qualification in the grand scheme of things when becoming an investment banker? How does that compare to doing a degree? When/how will I become an investment banker?

Please excuse my naivety in this field.

It sounds like a programme for their Operations Scheme, not Investment Banking. Do you want to work in Operations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Don't do an apprenticeship in Operations unless you want to work in Operations. You cannot move from Operations to Investment banking, it just doesn't happen. That said, Operations itself does offer a very good career. Operations is much more stable, you're less likely to 'burn out' after 2 years, and in the long run your earning potential is very high!
Reply 4
Original post by Liamp487
Don't do an apprenticeship in Operations unless you want to work in Operations. You cannot move from Operations to Investment banking, it just doesn't happen. That said, Operations itself does offer a very good career. Operations is much more stable, you're less likely to 'burn out' after 2 years, and in the long run your earning potential is very high!

I would argue otherwise. Its possible to move from operations to ib!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by souman
I would argue otherwise. Its possible to move from operations to ib!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that it is possible, it's just very unlikely and the odds are against you. You need to be excellent at networking and extremely good at your job to have a shot. The other problem is that you're not likely to be like in your division if your co-workers know that you are looking to get out.
Reply 6
I know that it is possible, it's just very unlikely and the odds are against you. You need to be excellent at networking and extremely good at your job to have a shot. The other problem is that you're not likely to be like in your division if your co-workers know that you are looking to get out.

Some companies welcome internal movement. It all depends on the culture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souman
Some companies welcome internal movement. It all depends on the culture.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is not true, you burn a lot of bridges trying to move at any level (internship/graduate/ at the firm x years) to another part of the business. Especially when it is considered moving from Back/Mid to Front office.

It is extremely hard to move from ops to IBD/S&T I know a few people who have all tried and are currently failing.
To add some info to the whole ops to front office, having spoken to people actually who've made the jump, it's near impossible to go from ops to IBD , but more possible than most realise to move from ops to s&t , but usually only from sales and trading assistant roles in ops to actual s&t (e.g you're unlikely to move from reconciliations to s&t).
If there's a space on a sales desk, they will often take sales assistants into account if they are really keen.

Having said all this, it's becoming more and more difficult due to new regulations that have come in, and many sales and trading assistant roles are actually being branded as front office now due to the work they are doing not being allowed to be done by an ops role (due to trading scandals, where traders were in control of their own backlogs of books).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Oschene23
To add some info to the whole ops to front office, having spoken to people actually who've made the jump, it's near impossible to go from ops to IBD , but more possible than most realise to move from ops to s&t , but usually only from sales and trading assistant roles in ops to actual s&t (e.g you're unlikely to move from reconciliations to s&t).
If there's a space on a sales desk, they will often take sales assistants into account if they are really keen.

Having said all this, it's becoming more and more difficult due to new regulations that have come in, and many sales and trading assistant roles are actually being branded as front office now due to the work they are doing not being allowed to be done by an ops role (due to trading scandals, where traders were in control of their own backlogs of books).

Posted from TSR Mobile

What if you do a year or two in ops job as graduate and then re-apply to ib grad scheme. The ops experience must be helpful the least! Or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souman
What if you do a year or two in ops job as graduate and then re-apply to ib grad scheme. The ops experience must be helpful the least! Or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It probably won't help all that much tbh. Also don't think you'll be allowed to apply to IB grad if you've already done 2 years experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. FCA regulation that stops mid office people joining front office roles (S&T) came into place in 2013. You have to join another firm to make the jump.
Seriously, if you go into Ops and don't want to stay there, you will be wasting your time! If you want to go into F/O then get experience in F/O. Even if it isn't at a BB bank, do it at a smaller company.
Reply 13
Seriously, if you go into Ops and don't want to stay there, you will be wasting your time! If you want to go into F/O then get experience in F/O. Even if it isn't at a BB bank, do it at a smaller company.

I dont want to go to smaller firm tbh to get the experience but i understand i might need to.
I have no chance of getting a f/o grad scheme at the moment. Im not coming from target uni and although i have a lot of experience so far its all operations/back office. My plan was to get my foot in the door through the less competitive ops route and then move but it seems less and less possible. Will still try.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
It probably won't help all that much tbh. Also don't think you'll be allowed to apply to IB grad if you've already done 2 years experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A friend worked at royal mail starting as grad for few years and is now applying to grad schemes (including ib), so i think its allowed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souman
I have no chance of getting a f/o grad scheme at the moment. Im not coming from target uni and although i have a lot of experience so far its all operations/back office. My plan was to get my foot in the door through the less competitive ops route and then move but it seems less and less possible. Will still try.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, there is no harm on trying. Can I ask which university you go to?
Reply 16
Yeah, there is no harm on trying. Can I ask which university you go to?

West of England in bristol; its getting better but its still ex-poli. i was thinking of doing the 're-branding' thing and go to target uni to do masters but have had grad scheme offers already (ops) so probably not doing it at this point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souman
West of England in bristol; its getting better but its still ex-poli. i was thinking of doing the 're-branding' thing and go to target uni to do masters but have had grad scheme offers already (ops) so probably not doing it at this point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair play, yeah you would probs need to get a place at LSE or something like that. But it's not worth it, seeing as it doesn't secure anything, just improves your chances. If I were you I would take the offer for Ops, see how you find it, you never know you may actually prefer in to F/O. It's a lot more relaxed and better pay than similar jobs in the non-banking industry.
Reply 18
Fair play, yeah you would probs need to get a place at LSE or something like that. But it's not worth it, seeing as it doesn't secure anything, just improves your chances. If I were you I would take the offer for Ops, see how you find it, you never know you may actually prefer in to F/O. It's a lot more relaxed and better pay than similar jobs in the non-banking industry.

Yeah i did a year long placement as part of my degree with a stockbroker firm at their back office and i liked it; i learned a lot. Don't know, probably its just the glamour around ib that attracts me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souman
Yeah i did a year long placement as part of my degree with a stockbroker firm at their back office and i liked it; i learned a lot. Don't know, probably its just the glamour around ib that attracts me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, you have to balance the glamour and high pay against the work/life and breathing you're job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending