The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature GCSE 2015 JUNE SUMMER *OFFICIAL THREAD* OMAM AIC

Scroll to see replies

Is 2 comparative paragraphs enough? It ended up being around 3 pages... Depending on the quality, is it still enough to get the A*?
Reply 1081
hi so I'm a bit worried,
I did the conflict section but the one on mametz wood. I compared it to at the border which I thought was hard.
I wrote about:
the"woods" which show inhumanity with the machine guns vs the mountains which show alienation and confinement

the irregular lines vs free verse and what they resemble

uselessness and disposability of soldiers vs uselessness of border

I analysed techniques and stuff and I thought the unseen was easy. Unit 1 wasn't bad and I got 39/40 in my coursework. So would it be possible to get an A* by any chance.

many thanks
For the Poetry Exam, I compared The Manhunt and Harmonium (don't ask why). I did two comparative points (four paragraphs) on the pair. I talked about how both reflect on the past and therefore that presents a damaged relationship as they both wish for what used to be and not the present they're now in. I talked about how Armitage does this, however, in different ways, like imagery and metaphors.
My second point was on the physical characteristics of the opposing characters. The lover in The Manhunt is physically wounded and I talked about how it was a barrier in their relationship. I THEN, FOR GOD KNOWS WHAT REASON, DECIDED TO WRITE FOR HARMONIUM HOW THE FATHER'S SMOKING EVICTS SYMPATHY BECAUSE HE'S SPEEDING UP THE PROCESS OF DEATH AND HOW IT DAMAGED HIS VOICE AND THE SON COULD POSSIBLY FEEL PITY ABOUT THIS?!?!?! I wrote more about it of course but I can't really remember what.

Then I quickly concluded how Armitage effectively depicted damaged relationships and just went onto the Unseen Poem which was a mess and a half :frown:

I'm really surprised AQA didn't decide to go for THCM because after Arthur Birling came up for the OMM/IC Exam, I figured they'd go for the one poem which hasn't ever come up. Guess AQA's just full of surprises, huh?
Reply 1083
For the unseen, was the poem for her child? It said being 'in love' but we actually learnt the same poem in year 9, and my teacher said it was about symptoms of having a child
Original post by Nidadnan
oh okay, if you don't mind me asking - what did you get? :smile: and which two poems did u compare

I got an A* and compared The Farmer's Bride and Quickdraw :smile:
Original post by Changing Skies
Of course not :smile: I sat this paper a few years ago, picked two that most people didn't, and I did well. If you can compare the two with enough points it's absolutely fine :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you remember the question you did?
Pretty much so, yes :smile: obviously some choices will be more popular, but that doesn't necessarily mean better.
Original post by Cherx
Can you remember the question you did?

This one :smile:
1432494892498.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by simply_a_ Δ
Oh cool. I did my last duchess and ozymandias. I preferred thee poem Brendon Gallagher but I couldn't think of a poem to compare it with.

Ahh, nevermind x Lots of people did my last duchess and ozymandias at my school. For me, i hate both of them poems so I knew i had to do the second question. Would have been better if it was on identity in my opinion but oh well xx
Original post by Jade Li
Ahh, nevermind x Lots of people did my last duchess and ozymandias at my school. For me, i hate both of them poems so I knew i had to do the second question. Would have been better if it was on identity in my opinion but oh well xx

I did the first question and compared it to ozymandias- my friend compared to to checking out my history because the theme was pride. Everyone seems to be comparing the second question to case history alison but i couldn't think of anything at the time!
In the Character and Voice cluster, I chose I question on pride and compared My Last Duchess to Medusa. I'm like the only one who did this and I probably messed it up. The questions just weren't great.
Original post by davidmykel
In the Character and Voice cluster, I chose I question on pride and compared My Last Duchess to Medusa. I'm like the only one who did this and I probably messed it up. The questions just weren't great.

No everyone else who I had asked in my school also compared my last duchess to medusa , it seems I was the only one who compared it to sing song

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anybody else do the Sister Maude question? I did and I compared it to Sonnet 43. What did you compare it with?
Original post by MMuna21
For the Poetry Exam, I compared The Manhunt and Harmonium (don't ask why). I did two comparative points (four paragraphs) on the pair. I talked about how both reflect on the past and therefore that presents a damaged relationship as they both wish for what used to be and not the present they're now in. I talked about how Armitage does this, however, in different ways, like imagery and metaphors.
My second point was on the physical characteristics of the opposing characters. The lover in The Manhunt is physically wounded and I talked about how it was a barrier in their relationship. I THEN, FOR GOD KNOWS WHAT REASON, DECIDED TO WRITE FOR HARMONIUM HOW THE FATHER'S SMOKING EVICTS SYMPATHY BECAUSE HE'S SPEEDING UP THE PROCESS OF DEATH AND HOW IT DAMAGED HIS VOICE AND THE SON COULD POSSIBLY FEEL PITY ABOUT THIS?!?!?! I wrote more about it of course but I can't really remember what.

Then I quickly concluded how Armitage effectively depicted damaged relationships and just went onto the Unseen Poem which was a mess and a half :frown:

I'm really surprised AQA didn't decide to go for THCM because after Arthur Birling came up for the OMM/IC Exam, I figured they'd go for the one poem which hasn't ever come up. Guess AQA's just full of surprises, huh?

Omg yes! Finally someone who compared manhunt and harmonium
Original post by NeedACleverName
Did anybody else do the Sister Maude question? I did and I compared it to Sonnet 43. What did you compare it with?

I did Sister Maude and compared with Sonnet 116. But I only vaguely mentioned structure because it wasn't relevant. Can I still get an A*?
Original post by llllllllll
Did anyone else do sister maude and sonnet 116?

I did! Omg I thought I was the only one. What did you talk about?
Original post by cookiemonster057
omg yes! Finally someone who compared manhunt and harmonium

Omg I thought I was alone!!? You have no idea how happy this makes me!! :biggrin:
Original post by Keisha_99
Few! I did THCM and Manhunt too.. No one else did it so i was rather worried!

What did you talk about? I am hoping for an A overall in English Lit but I am concerned it will not happen - which would be a great shame considering the tremendous amount of work I put in to make this happen.
Guys, what was the hardest cluster for the poetry exams this year?
Sorry if this has already been answered - don't want to look through 57 pages :biggrin:
Original post by kingaaran
I did the exam last year, so can help anybody, if necessary.

If you have any questions, want me to check any essays you write or would just like some advice, then feel free to ask me. :smile:

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm doing romeo and juliet right now but i dont know if i will be doing it next year? what will i take in year 11?
Original post by dawideksoltysik
What did you talk about? I am hoping for an A overall in English Lit but I am concerned it will not happen - which would be a great shame considering the tremendous amount of work I put in to make this happen.

Me too I'm hoping for an A too!! :frown: Can't remember exactly but talked about imagery manhunt uses delicate fragile imagery to show fractured relationship in contrast THCM uses imagery to show how passionate the guy is in a relationship which is causing it to break down. Etc you?

Quick Reply