The Student Room Group

advice please :(

Sorry this is quite long. I'm torn, I really want to study Medieval and Classical Studies at University of Wales Trinity St David (only place that do it) because I kind of have an obsession with medieval england and want to learn about the greek and roman gods and mythology and stuff because it intrests me. However, and heres my problem, my parents really aren't supportive, I mean they keep telling me they are but I know they arent by the way they are unintreseted and keep saying so what job can you do with that. My dad also doesn't like the idea of me going to Wales as we live in the Midlands but I hate cities and Lameter is such a pretty village.
They have always had the idea that I would do primary education since I was always saying I wanted to be a teacher when I was younger, but that was only becuase it was the only better job I knew about other than hairdresser and painter :/ theyve both asked what job I'll go on to do and I kind of agree with them as it doesnt directly lead to anything but neither do the other academic degrees like maths or english.
I just don't know what to do, I keep pushing them and saying I really want to go and they just keep replying "well go if you want to so much, we'll just have to make it work wont we" which annoys me but also ive got this fear that when i get there I'll either dislike it really bad that I'll want to quit or fail my first year because I'm only predicted a C and D in a levels and Merit in BTEC IT :/
Can anyone give me some advice please, any would be much appreciated :frown:
You may have guessed I haven't applied this year and the way it's going it looks like I never will!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MedievalWitch
you may have guessed i havent applyed this year and the way its going it looks like i never will

Apply anyway and see what happens. You might not get an offer or you might change your mind in a few months. But if you don't apply you won't be able to go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
Apply anyway and see what happens. You might not get an offer or you might change your mind in a few months. But if you don't apply you won't be able to go

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have spoken to my head of sixth form and she agrees I should apply next year or as a mature student later on because I am just going to get more stressed than I already am and I have health issues at the moment I need to sort out before I go, thanks though
Sorry this is quite long. I'm torn, I really want to study Medieval and Classical Studies at University of Wales Trinity St David (only place that do it) because I kind of have an obsession with medieval england and want to learn about the greek and roman gods and mythology and stuff because it intrests me. However, and heres my problem, my parents really aren't supportive, I mean they keep telling me they are but I know they arent by the way they are unintreseted and keep saying so what job can you do with that. My dad also doesn't like the idea of me going to Wales as we live in the Midlands but I hate cities and Lameter is such a pretty village.
They have always had the idea that I would do primary education since I was always saying I wanted to be a teacher when I was younger, but that was only becuase it was the only better job I knew about other than hairdresser and painter :/ theyve both asked what job I'll go on to do and I kind of agree with them as it doesnt directly lead to anything but neither do the other academic degrees like maths or english.
I just don't know what to do, I keep pushing them and saying I really want to go and they just keep replying "well go if you want to so much, we'll just have to make it work wont we" which annoys me but also ive got this fear that when i get there I'll either dislike it really bad that I'll want to quit or fail my first year because I'm only predicted a C and D in a levels and Merit in BTEC IT :/
Can anyone give me some advice please, any would be much appreciated :frown:

Don't worry about what your parents think, it is your life and if you get an offer and that really is what you want to do then you could do brilliantly, make something of it and prove them wrong. Don't let them govern what you do with your future.
Think about your own long-term happiness. Whilst at university you want to be interested in the course you're studying and you want to feel happy in the place where you are staying so do whatever you feel is right. As for worrying about hating it once you're there... if you do your research and see yourself there just go for it because if you don't go because of the fear of disliking it, you are potentially throwing away an amazing opportunity of happiness. It's the same with anywhere you decide to go, you won't know until you get there.
Take time to properly think it through and trust yourself to make the right decision for you, not anyone else... they've had their chance to do something they want and this is yours:smile:
There are several universities offering similar courses if you decide to follow this path but don't want to be tied solely to Trinity St David. Try searching for 'history and classics' on Ucas's course finder.
Original post by ageshallnot
There are several universities offering similar courses if you decide to follow this path but don't want to be tied solely to Trinity St David. Try searching for 'history and classics' on Ucas's course finder.

I never thought of doing that becaus I feel set on Wales as Lampeter seems the perfect place for me; small, countryside etc. but I shall have a look thank you :smile:
Original post by Justme:-)
Don't worry about what your parents think, it is your life and if you get an offer and that really is what you want to do then you could do brilliantly, make something of it and prove them wrong. Don't let them govern what you do with your future.
Think about your own long-term happiness. Whilst at university you want to be interested in the course you're studying and you want to feel happy in the place where you are staying so do whatever you feel is right. As for worrying about hating it once you're there... if you do your research and see yourself there just go for it because if you don't go because of the fear of disliking it, you are potentially throwing away an amazing opportunity of happiness. It's the same with anywhere you decide to go, you won't know until you get there.
Take time to properly think it through and trust yourself to make the right decision for you, not anyone else... they've had their chance to do something they want and this is yours:smile:

Thank you for this, I know it is my choice which is why I am pushing it so hard to them, I've also always been scared of change, I don't know why I just don't but when I get into the swing of thing I should be okay I would just like the same support they gave me when we went to look at education courses before christmas but I don't see this happening. The last line you put really put things into persepctive for me thank you :')
Thank you for this, I know it is my choice which is why I am pushing it so hard to them, I've also always been scared of change, I don't know why I just don't but when I get into the swing of thing I should be okay I would just like the same support they gave me when we went to look at education courses before christmas but I don't see this happening. The last line you put really put things into persepctive for me thank you :')

You're welcome:smile:
Maybe let us know how you get on with your parents and what you decide:smile:
Original post by Justme:-)
You're welcome:smile:
Maybe let us know how you get on with your parents and what you decide:smile:

I shall, I have a talk/interview thing with a careers advisor sometime soon, I'm just waiting to be told when it is :/ thank you for your help

for what it is worth I have a little knowledge of lampeter although not a great amount, it is very small does not have loads of shops or nightlife. if what you are looking for is a small quiet rural place then it is ideal, if you want somewhere with more life then look elsewhere. from a parents perspective it would be nice to know their child is living very low crime area. there are many unis doing ancient history Swansea I believe does with lots more life than Lampeter. it is a superb campus in a park opposite the beach so try looking at that and also bangor and aberytwyth. my advice to you would be to apply as you can always withdraw and take your parents with you on visit days to make them feel more comfortable. they may then end up more supportive
Original post by swanseajack1
for what it is worth I have a little knowledge of lampeter although not a great amount, it is very small does not have loads of shops or nightlife. if what you are looking for is a small quiet rural place then it is ideal, if you want somewhere with more life then look elsewhere. from a parents perspective it would be nice to know their child is living very low crime area. there are many unis doing ancient history Swansea I believe does with lots more life than Lampeter. it is a superb campus in a park opposite the beach so try looking at that and also bangor and aberytwyth. my advice to you would be to apply as you can always withdraw and take your parents with you on visit days to make them feel more comfortable. they may then end up more supportive

Thank you, I'm really not into the nightlife stuff, I'm much more a country girl. You mention visit days instead of open days is there a difference?? Can you take parents to both or are you expected to go by yourself for a visit day?? I got quite confused by the website
Thank you, I'm really not into the nightlife stuff, I'm much more a country girl. You mention visit days instead of open days is there a difference?? Can you take parents to both or are you expected to go by yourself for a visit day??

when unis make you offers they usually give you an invite to attend. some call them visit days others applicant days or post application open days. they are very much like open days but are more subject related it will help your parents as they will see the places and perhaps make them feel better knowing the surroundings you will be living in. when you get an invite people take 1 or both parents. some decide to go on their own. my experience is 80-90% take at least parent. I went to 3 with my son and my wife came to 2. she was working on the other day. you could also contact the department and arrange a visit at other times. my son is at Exeter and we arranged a visit there. they also have campus tours daily.

for what it is worth all the unis I have mentioned are smallish towns. Swansea is by far the biggest but the campus is really special.it is located in wales biggest park with a botanical garden boating lake with swans and right across the road from a beach. aber and bangor are small seaside towns, lampeter is the most difficult to get to. bangor and aber are on train routes from Birmingham. Swansea you change at Bristol parkway on the same platform. bangor aber and lampeter are more welsh while English is the main language spoken in swansea

I hope this helps and maybe you would like to show this info to your parents
I never thought of doing that becaus I feel set on Wales as Lampeter seems the perfect place for me; small, countryside etc. but I shall have a look thank you :smile:

Have a look at Winchester's Ancient, Classical and Medieval Studies degree. Also small and nice.
If you need any help or advice don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had my careers interview today and she was no help at all. Be warned this may turn into a rant :')
She asked me what I wanted to do after year 13 and I said I had changed my mind from Primary Teaching to Teaching Assistant to doing Early Years and Special and Inclusive Needs to Medieval Studies to Medieval Studies and Archaeology and she set on the teaching side but I don't feel like I want to do this any more and be surrounded by them 24/7. I really want to do the Medieval Studies degree but mum and dad keep having digs that I don't go out now so what will I be like at uni and I wont be able to go home during term time and I get what they're saying but I really like it and going to see the uni tomorrow.
Mum also put in the curve ball the other day of me working in a hotel and receptionist work since I'm doing IT and everyone seems to think I won't get into uni with two C's and Distinction in BTEC. So now I'm stuck. My ideal job would be working in a heritage site such as somewhere like Hardwick Hall and work in the education sector maybe with school trips or something along those lines but I don't know how I would get into it. The other problem is transport as I don't drive because I cannot afford it and don't have time for a job at the moment with school and looking after siblings whilst parents are at work. As you can see I am still none the wiser and time is ticking pretty fast now.
Any advice??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending