The Student Room Group

Can you take Further Maths in one year?

Would it be possible to do an A-level in full Further Maths during one year? If so, how is this done, and do you not do AS levels for it?
Reply 1
Original post by Kolasinac138
Would it be possible to do an A-level in full Further Maths during one year? If so, how is this done, and do you not do AS levels for it?

Short answer: yes, probably, as long as you have completed A level maths (C3 and 4) before FP3 and 4.

Our college teaches further maths this way - you complete your maths A level in your first year, and your further maths A level in your second year, and have two subjects worth of time for each. As you have to sit all exams for it anyway, the AS levels are certificated for us, but all the exams are done in the same season. If you're doing any part of further maths through a college you might want to talk to them about it.

In terms of self studying the material in a year, if that's what you mean, then I expect so as long as you're organised about it.
Reply 2

I took A-Level maths in year 12, and A-Level further maths in year 13.
In short I took 6 modules for FM (both AS and A2) at the end of year 13.

You can only do a level further maths if you have done or are doing a level maths
Er, yeah, I've done A-level Maths and a 1/2 Further Maths but I think that not doing A2 was the reason for my university rejection so I want to take the full modules next year.
Er, yeah, I've done A-level Maths and a 1/2 Further Maths but I think that not doing A2 was the reason for my university rejection so I want to take the full modules next year.

Well, in that case ... You will only need to do the other half if FM

Are you talking about a gap year
Original post by TenOfThem
Well, in that case ... You will only need to do the other half if FM

Are you talking about a gap year

Yes. So I could take my score from the first year and combine it with the score from the second year to make some kind of average?
Yes. So I could take my score from the first year and combine it with the score from the second year to make some kind of average?

As with all a levels the units are combined to give a grade

Perhaps it would be easier to explain if you could tell me

What year are you in ... I am assuming Y13
What units you completed last year
What units you will be completing this year
What you are applying for and where
Ok, I am considering this. My question is that I want to take A-levels as opposed to what I do now and do the A-level Further Maths in one year, is this possible, how do I arrange it and what modules would I take?
Ok, I am considering this. My question is that I want to take A-levels as opposed to what I do now and do the A-level Further Maths in one year, is this possible, how do I arrange it and what modules would I take?

This has confused the issue ... I thought you said that you had already done a level maths and as further maths ... Now you are saying you want to do a levels instead of what you are doing

Can you clarify

Have you studied/taken exams for any GCE maths units ... If so which ones and which board?

If not you would need to do both maths and further maths in the year ... Is that what you are actually wanting to do
Original post by TenOfThem
This has confused the issue ... I thought you said that you had already done a level maths and as further maths ... Now you are saying you want to do a levels instead of what you are doing

Can you clarify

Have you studied/taken exams for any GCE maths units ... If so which ones and which board?

If not you would need to do both maths and further maths in the year ... Is that what you are actually wanting to do

Sorry, probably a little confusing. I've done Pre-U of Maths but would like to take a year out for university and reapply by self-studying A-level FM.
Most likely won't though
Sorry, probably a little confusing. I've done Pre-U of Maths but would like to take a year out for university and reapply by self-studying A-level FM.
Most likely won't though

In that case you need to contact the board to find out what overlap there is between your current qualification and the A Level courses

Boards would usually expect you to have an A Level in order to do the FM
Also ... If the pre u has too much overlap with FM then you cannot hold 2 qualifications that are "equivalent"

So ... Again ... Contact a board ... Tell them what you have studied and what qualification you hold and see what they say

Details for direct contact for maths teams are available on each exam boards website

Quick Reply

Latest