The Student Room Group

Higher or Foundation ?

Hello -

I am currently doing my GCSE English - and will soon be doing my exams.

I need to decide if I want to do the higher or foundation tier. I did quite well in my first controlled assessment achievinga C grade and this year speaking and listening is separate however I achievedtwo points of the top mark so did pretty well!
I have been unwell recently so fell behind in my latest workwhich is Anita & Me. I have read the book but struggling with the questionsand my next controlled assessment is based on this book. It’s mainly based onChapter 6 and 7, so I’m looking for recourses to help me.
I’m undecided on what to enter for, I don’t like the idea of‘only’ being able to get a grade C at the highest but then I don’t like theidea of failing altogether either!
Any suggestions?
Original post by fliss88
Hello -

I am currently doing my GCSE English - and will soon be doing my exams.

I need to decide if I want to do the higher or foundation tier. I did quite well in my first controlled assessment achievinga C grade and this year speaking and listening is separate however I achievedtwo points of the top mark so did pretty well!
I have been unwell recently so fell behind in my latest workwhich is Anita & Me. I have read the book but struggling with the questionsand my next controlled assessment is based on this book. It’s mainly based onChapter 6 and 7, so I’m looking for recourses to help me.
I’m undecided on what to enter for, I don’t like the idea of‘only’ being able to get a grade C at the highest but then I don’t like theidea of failing altogether either!
Any suggestions?

Because you have been unwell recently (depending on the condition), it would be advised to stick to the C grade. If it is a serious condition and is likely to come back sporadically, then that's even more reason to stick to the basics for now.

The Higher/Foundation is only for the exams. If your health really improves and you can put the work in then go for the Higher. However, because it is January and you only have a couple of months until your exam, you would need to work on your technique for hitting the B/A bands pretty much now.

If you are not thinking about studying English at A-level, then getting a C is completely fine and it will not disadvantage you. If you do not feel ready to hit the harder stuff to achieve the B and higher grades, then your safest option is to stick with the foundation level.

I was like this once. I know I thought I was ready to hit the higher. But my teacher said no. I got CC. I resat my English GCSE in one year and got a B (was redoing my GCSE Maths and working on two Level 2 BTECS as well). So that was a struggle. But as long as I knew I would work hard to achieve my B in English, I would be OK.

It just depends on your circumstances. Speak with your English teacher (providing you're still at school and you're not a private candidate).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending