The Student Room Group

"I am not Charlie and I don't want to be"

The horrific crimes of terrorists and the aftermath from a Muslim point of view. A great article by Mehdi Hassan.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mehdi-hasan/charlie-hebdo-free-speech_b_6462584.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by FATchristopher
The horrific crimes of terrorists and the aftermath from a Muslim point of view. A great article by Mehdi Hassan.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mehdi-hasan/charlie-hebdo-free-speech_b_6462584.html

The US torturing people in Iraq excuse is bull****! his partly correct article has just been falsified by him half heartedly standing up evil. Isis beheaded a few english/europeans this year, you wont see a group of englishmen perform a terrorist attack in pakistan or syria etc so he cant put that into his argument
Reply 2
what an arse this guy is
he should be ashamed for writing that, it is such a minority that expect your everyday muslims to be treated any different than anybody else yet he acts like it's the whole western world. And for the comments on poppies then he should show some respect, he's clearly an educated man that should know how many muslims died fighting for britain and against japan in the world wars.
Islam has created its own reputation and it is well deserved . Islam in its devout form is incompatible with Western Culture and if any Muslims can't learn to accept that in the west our values come first before the values of Islam then thats their problem. I prefer the Muslim Major of Rotterdam's message

'Muslims who cannot appreciate the freedoms of living in the west can pack your bags and **** off'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2907941/Moroccan-born-mayor-Rotterdam-tells-fellow-Muslims-not-appreciate-freedoms-living-West-pack-bags-f-live-TV.html

This isn't soley aimed at Islam, If Christians in the west where to follow their religion as devoutly as Muslims do then they would be just as much of a problem. The thing is Christianity has evolved into the 21st century to come into line with modern western values, Islam has yet to do the same it is still predominentley stuck in the Middle Ages. I will not sit back and ignore the barbaric practices of certain Muslims.

It is believed 1 in 7 Young British Muslims support or have sympathy with Islamic State! So don't tell me it's only a tiny minority because 1 in 7 is hugely significant.
Posted from TSR Mobile
It is believed 1 in 2 daily mail readers are idiots.Stop making up stats! 😀
The article is spot on. There is a huge double standard in which everyone accepts there are limitations to freedom to insult but these limitations don't apply to Muslims.

Many others have also given examples of this hypocrisy in Western media.
Reply 6
Can't stand Mehdi Hassan.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
It is believed 1 in 2 daily mail readers are idiots.Stop making up stats! ������

You stop making up stats. It can't be as little as 1 in 2.
Original post by Shabalala

It is believed 1 in 7 Young British Muslims support or have sympathy with Islamic State! So don't tell me it's only a tiny minority because 1 in 7 is hugely significant.

"It is believed"

:facepalm:

At least say who believes it, besides you!
Original post by anosmianAcrimony

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/16/islamic-state-arab-nations-britain-support_n_5995548.html

I couldn't find the exact poll about 1 in 7 young British Muslims but here is another poll suggesting that a significant portion of Muslims support the barbaric element of Islam. Just this morning on the radio I heard some young British Muslim being interviewed saying he felt no sympathy for the cartoonists and that they got whats coming to them and he said many other Muslims feel the same.

But hey you prefer to deflect onto the daily mail so here it is reported in a few other newspapers so you might be able to read it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/muslim-mayor-of-rotterdam-ahmed-aboutaleb-tells-extremists-who-dont-like-freedom-to-f-off-9975459.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/netherlands/11342282/Rotterdams-mayor-tells-Muslims-to-pack-their-bags-and-go-if-they-dont-like-freedom.html
I stopped reading at disaffected young men; radicalised not by drawings of the Prophet in Europe in 2006 or 2011, as it turns out, but by images of US torture in Iraq in 2004.. What a pile of rubbish, no wonder people don't take HuffPost seriously.
Of course, because Islam was incredibly peaceful before the US foreign policy, and would be incredibly peaceful afterwards. I am sure in the past thousand years or so, people were freely able to reject Islam, create images of Allah, openly practice other religions or sexualities, and Islam had no problems with it.

Or, perhaps, Islam apologists are just making excuses for heinous crimes by pointing at X and saying 'but look at them'.
Original post by FATchristopher

Indeed.

"Let's be clear: I agree there is no justification whatsoever for gunning down journalists or cartoonists. I disagree with your seeming view that the right to offend comes with no corresponding responsibility; and I do not believe that a right to offend automatically translates into a duty to offend."

And it's just that simple.
The anti-Muslim circle-jerk is moronic.
If we're gonna trade one set of intolerances for another than we have effectively lost the freedom and liberty we apparently cherish so much.

Basically people need to let go of their moral cocks and get back to business and calm their tits.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Indeed.

"Let's be clear: I agree there is no justification whatsoever for gunning down journalists or cartoonists. I disagree with your seeming view that the right to offend comes with no corresponding responsibility; and I do not believe that a right to offend automatically translates into a duty to offend."

And it's just that simple.
The anti-Muslim circle-jerk is moronic.
If we're gonna trade one set of intolerances for another than we have effectively lost the freedom and liberty we apparently cherish so much.

Basically people need to let go of their moral cocks and get back to business and calm their tits.

What set of intolerances are we trading and for what?

You are very vague.

Wow, are you actually stupid ? I made up that statistic to ridicule your magic stats. Give me a credible link and the study which derived the stat your talking about. I was proving a point about the worthlessness of the stat in your sentence.
Original post by Kadak
Wow, are you actually stupid ? I made up that statistic to ridicule your magic stats. Give me a credible link and the study which derived the stat your talking about. I was proving a point about the worthlessness of the stat in your sentence.

I think this may be a case of mistaken identity - I was making a joke and agreeing with you. Sorry if the sarcasm got lost in translation.
I think this may be a case of mistaken identity - I was making a joke and agreeing with you. Sorry if the sarcasm got lost in translation.

Oops Sorry, Its hard to detect sarcasm online.I apologise for the insult . Its just that sometimes there so many frustrating people on TSR sometimes you lose it. I offer my sincerest apologies.
Original post by Kadak
Oops Sorry, Its hard to detect sarcasm online.I apologise for the insult . Its just that sometimes there so many frustrating people on TSR sometimes you lose it. I offer my sincerest apologies.

That's okay - happens to all of us.
Original post by Person1001
There is a huge double standard in which everyone accepts there are limitations to freedom to insult but these limitations don't apply to Muslims.

I don't believe there is a double-standard at all. As far as freedom of speech goes, the discussion is mostly about where to draw the line. Most people draw the line at racism, but consider religion fair game. There is no hypocrisy in this, and most will be perfectly clear on what they consider fair game for mockery.

Quick Reply