The Student Room Group

Aerospace engineering or space technology degree?

Hi there,

I'm wanting to go into the space industry but I don't know what degree to do I'm currently in year 12 studying physics, mathematics and computing. I'm on for BBB or AAB for my results and I've looked at some uni's but I was wondering if anyone had taken any of the degrees that I was looking to go into?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Speed15
Hi there,

I'm wanting to go into the space industry but I don't know what degree to do I'm currently in year 12 studying physics, mathematics and computing. I'm on for BBB or AAB for my results and I've looked at some uni's but I was wondering if anyone had taken any of the degrees that I was looking to go into?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which courses have you looked at so far?

If I was in your position, I would work my butt off to get AAB and use those results to apply for a BEng Aerospace Engineering course with significant space content at a good university. After a year or so of study, if you're still interested in space and getting good grades, I would consider either (a) switching on to the MEng programme (provided your university of choice allows for this) and picking the space-related modules, or (b) graduating with a BEng and then applying for an MSc course dedicated to some kind of space engineering. These options have various pros and cons, but it's a few years yet until you would have to worry about that!

In the short term I think it's a good idea to keep researching the various courses; find out the modules you'd be studying, what links the university has with industry etc.

I hope that helps. :smile:
First thing I'm going to say is that with aerospace everyone starts off wanting to go into the space industry or being a pilot. I'm now going to tell you to avoid focusing on that and to look at aerospace as a whole because that's what you're going to be studying for 4 years.

Second if you ignore that is look at unis with a decent chunk of space curriculum, off the top of my head I'd name Surrey and Southampton, there's probably a few more. From studying there, I also know that Sheffield offers additional lectures on space topics and intends on introducing more space modules in the future so you might want to watch out for them too. Also consider that there aren't that many opportunities in the UK to get into the space industry as a graduate, it may be worth looking at other countries (France is probably your best bet and the US your worst due to citizenship restrictions).
Reply 3
Astrium is one UK space related company if you need one. You can probably find links from there to more.
If you want to go into the space industry, aim for AAA (electronic engineering with space systems) or AAB (physics with satellite technology) at A2 if you realistically can; imho surrey is the place to go for space technology - they build their own satellites, they have a ground control centre on site. They inherited a lot of kit and facilities from Surrey Satellite Technology Limited, a spin off company from the university, when they split off and became a private company. Some head honcho from NASA was there a few months ago praising their good work. Alternatively some other universities offer space themed courses, bath comes to mind. However I've been to bath and surrey for applicant days (I'm year 13) and bath's facilities were basically just computers and software, which is great but at surrey they have the whole process from conception to final packing. Aerospace can lead you into space technology but if you're sure you want to go into the space industry, I'm fairly sure getting a degree in space technology would be best. As has been said before, you'll spend a lot of time not studying space technology in aerospace - anything to do with aerodynamics, for a start :wink: It's worth mentioning that for space technology, electronic engineering seems to be the most relevant degree.

Quick Reply

Latest