The Student Room Group

Applied to Swedish university - unsure what my A levels/GCSEs equate to

Hi
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What university ??
Karolinska ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
applied for Lund university so in the same position as you sent off my antagnin two days ago so fingers crossed
Don't know how the grading works but yeah
Posted from TSR Mobile
can you tell me what grades you have and what their requirements are?

QUOTE=#freegaza;52918591]applied for Lund university so in the same position as you sent off my antagnin two days ago so fingers crossed
Don't know how the grading works but yeah
Posted from TSR Mobile
Grades are BBC
In maths and chemistry B
And physics is C
Don't know what their requirements are but when I emailed the admission they told it all depends on the amount of students that apply and what grades they have so if there is other students out there with better grades than me then I got beating due to competition so does that makes sense.

Have you emailed them ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did they expect from you? Do they emphasize grades in Sweden or are they just bothered about level?

Original post by #freegaza
Grades are BBC
In maths and chemistry B
And physics is C
Don't know what their requirements are but when I emailed the admission they told it all depends on the amount of students that apply and what grades they have so if there is other students out there with better grades than me then I got beating due to competition so does that makes sense.

Have you emailed them ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Well number 1 is that I was born and raised in Sweden expo in Stockholm so I do have the grades (hogskolan) which is like gcse, do they emphasize a lot on the grades?
Well when I looked up what maths D in Sweden was on Google I found a past paper and most of the maths there was pretty much c3/c4 so since alevels it regarded highly in Europe and America I think they may not see as bad as you may think
If I am confident on if am going to get in ?? I don't know applied for ucas and Sweden universities just to maximise my chances of going to university but always kelp your head up and hope for the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really wish you the best with that then. I just found this helpful table for us on the Lund uni website which shows what our A levels mean in Sweden, approx:
ÄmneSvensk kursMotsvarar
BiologiBi BBiology AS level
FysikFy APhysics AS level
Fy BPhysics A level
KemiKe BChemistry AS level
MatematikMa DMathematics AS level

So judging by this I have beyond Biology B as I have an A level in it (even if it's a D grade), I have Fysik B, and I have Matematik E as I took mine to A level. I am currently doing the chemistry A level distance from England and traveling back and forth for exams. So I decided to submit my results day transcript for the AS results last year, not sure whether they will consider that, but if they do then it's the Kemi B fulfilled!
Do you not fancy going back to Stockholm? And final question, do you think it is considerably more competitive in the city unis such as Lund Goteborg and Stockholm than the rural ones?
Thanks again new friend

Well number 1 is that I was born and raised in Sweden expo in Stockholm so I do have the grades (hogskolan) which is like gcse, do they emphasize a lot on the grades?
Well when I looked up what maths D in Sweden was on Google I found a past paper and most of the maths there was pretty much c3/c4 so since alevels it regarded highly in Europe and America I think they may not see as bad as you may think
If I am confident on if am going to get in ?? I don't know applied for ucas and Sweden universities just to maximise my chances of going to university but always kelp your head up and hope for the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Fancy going back to swden ?
I dont know since more opportunities here in England and I like it here tho miss my old friends when see them on facebook but hey the world doesn't wait for no one so yeah.
Since a lot of courses at bachelor's level are not taught at English I have feeling the universities that do teach bsc in English would be competitive either on big or small areas so yeah it's going to be a b it competitive but looking at that table you just sourced I think we Do stand a good chance of getting in.
If I may ask you a question?
How are you going to finance yourself CSN ?? Savings ?
Just asking ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem ask away, I'm living with my Swedish boyfriend here. But my father placed money into savings for me solely for education, so this will be my main source of income. Once I have Swedish personummer I'm hoping to get student loan if needed. But otherwise will apply for scholarships.
How about you?
And I understand what you mean, but I did notice around 750 people applied to Karolinska last year for Swedish biomedicine compared to 300 for their English bachelors. For the programme I'm looking at, they are accepting 10 internationals and 40 Swedes, what I'm wondering really is how there can be 40 Swedes applying to do am English taught bachelors, and whether they will actually get 40 Swedes applying to it. The instructor told me that they will take more international students if their Swedish quota isn't filled.
This is also the first year of this particular programme at this institution, do you think that will make it sightly easier to get in?

Fancy going back to swden ?
I dont know since more opportunities here in England and I like it here tho miss my old friends when see them on facebook but hey the world doesn't wait for no one so yeah.
Since a lot of courses at bachelor's level are not taught at English I have feeling the universities that do teach bsc in English would be competitive either on big or small areas so yeah it's going to be a b it competitive but looking at that table you just sourced I think we Do stand a good chance of getting in.
If I may ask you a question?
How are you going to finance yourself CSN ?? Savings ?
Just asking ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well that's the proportion they are given by the university and the government that it's 1:4 so for every 10 eu students there can only be 1 international students so I do think that there is going to be full house

Posted from TSR Mobile
No no, she mentioned that the 40 were Swedish nationals and the ten would be EU/international, not sure if that makes a place easier or harder
Well that's the proportion they are given by the university and the government that it's 1:4 so for every 10 eu students there can only be 1 international students so I do think that there is going to be full house

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes to most programs unless they in English
Original post by Gott
Do you have to speak swedish to apply to the universities? I know some as I learnt in the summer but don't have time anymore
I live here and speak it, no particular level as I've not been assessed. I'm taking a course taught in English so its not an issue
Original post by Gott
What level swedish do you spreak?
If thats the case then yeah it makes it a little bit harder so yeah btw what university did u apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry, it was in Skåne actually Malmö but just found out they not running the programme ths year, wtf??

If thats the case then yeah it makes it a little bit harder so yeah btw what university did u apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Holly crap when did u find it out
So whats your options now
Posted from TSR Mobile
This morning, deadline day! :frown: I'm going to just go for[Karolinska now and hope for the best. Have you submitted your application and everything now for Lund?

QUOTE=#freegaza;52942965]Holly crap when did u find it out
So whats your options now
Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah submitted my applications two days ago for lund but need to send my identification such as passport and stuff like that
Reply 19
Original post by Hexaneandheels
This morning, deadline day! :frown: I'm going to just go for[Karolinska now and hope for the best. Have you submitted your application and everything now for Lund?

If you're still wondering about the subject levels/how your grades are taken into account, if it's anything like Denmark (looks a little more complex, looking at that table you uploaded - in Denmark the levels are A, B and C and they equate to A2, AS and GCSE-ish, regardless of subject, much simpler!), the subject level requirements just have to be met, and you will be admitted based on your translated grade point average. Admission is literally just based on the available places being awarded to the top however many applicants, when ranked according to their grade point average. The subject levels are a tick-box exercise, so you can in theory have got an E in them - but that would obviously seriously negatively impact your GPA, which is what determines whether you get in or not.

I'm starting at Copenhagen in the next week or so and am feeling like I might have bitten off more than I can chew! I know I'll manage, but I feel very alone in the undertaking right now - I've hardly ever heard of a Brit studying a degree in another language, and I've certainly not talked to any who have. :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending